Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss doing great, but darn, I'm always hungry!!!

I agree sometimes when we are away from home we have to think quick and improvise. I have found that there are healthier choices almost anywhere. I never eat fast food if I have a choice, but last weekend my dh and I were in D.C. and I had to make do.

We were with his family at the Air and Space museum and everyone wanted to eat lunch at the McDonald's in the museum. I didn't want to object so I ordered a grilled chicken pico guac sandwich and didn't eat the bun.

4 hours ago, gwbicster said:

That's interesting perspective. I'm not totally sure I agree with you. I cook a lot and 20 minutes is not really realistic. And then there is the shopping and the planning.

Yes it is better to cook a huge batch and freeze it and I will do that when I can, but that's not always realistically going to happen, especially when I go back to school (I am a teacher).

I am going to challenge this part. It is important to make this realistic. Planning your food, being detailed, weighing your food, etc. is all part of the responsibilities you need to take on to be successful long-term. And yes, it takes time, but it is time well spent. I have food prepped every single weekend since I was able to start eating meat again (about week 5 post-op if I remember correctly). I cook up several pounds of chicken and then separate them into baggies of 3 oz (the serving size for me). Same thing with hamburger. I also cook a big pot of green Beans (with all ingredients measured and weighed). That way, all week, I can pull out what I need easily, and stay on track, even with things get busy (or if I have to travel for work).

And you're right. Food addicts can't stop eating like alcoholics can abstain from booze and drug addicts can abstain from drugs. That's what makes this kind of forethought and hard work even more important. Otherwise, it makes it very easy to fall back on old habits and excuses.

I need help i have not losing anything in a week and i'm only in my 4rd week my doctor wants me to start phase 4 this Friday but the only thing i'm holding down is plain greek yogurt, certain cream Soups and i love avocados with lime, i am slowly trying mushee but it is not settling well in my Queen tummy that is what i'm calling my new stomach. I hate eggs now and i tried refried bean did not do well with the Queen, i walk everyday for about 30 minutes im during ok with protien i mix 1/2 fairlife skim mile 1/2 premier vanilla basically i sip sip sip all day Water finally getting close to 32 oz daily.

You may have hit the "third week plateau" I went through it a bit early. I had several days without any loss but keep drinking your Water and getting your Protein and it will move again!

Thank you so much will do

UPDATE:

My doc wrote a script for Protonix 40mg once a day to take in addition to my Pepcid. I'm excited to see if this helps!

Thanks everyone so much for all your constructive advice!

I like to cook, too, and I'm already used to putting half of what I make into the freezer. I think I'm going to invest in some smaller plastic containers so I can get used to freezing small portions of things that I make. It's always a relief to just pull something from the freezer, throw it into the microwave, and not have to think about what I'll eat. This is going to be such a major change in my life . . .

The reason I am fat is that I seldom freeze leftovers. I leave them in the fridge until they are gone. Seems like this is something I'm going to need to change. It's hard to conceive of spending a lot of time cooking for a couple of spoonfuls.

On 7/9/2017 at 0:31 PM, Apple1 said:

He said WLS patients should not be eating fast food. I think he even said people who think they can eat the same way they used to, but just less, are mistaken.

Yes...it'll catch up. My surgeon mentioned that it's hard to screw it up now (being so early post op), but easy to do later. Types of food is what we have to change.

23 minutes ago, gwbicster said:

The reason I am fat is that I seldom freeze leftovers. I leave them in the fridge until they are gone. Seems like this is something I'm going to need to change. It's hard to conceive of spending a lot of time cooking for a couple of spoonfuls.

I'm the opposite, I hate having leftovers in the fridge, have always froze them. I'd encourage you to start freezing your portions that are leftover...it'll be easier to say no too, having to get it out and defrost them, etc, then to just grab what's in the fridge and start eating. You can do all of these things...and the fact that you've reached out on here with your concerns is a step forward. I've noted that you've been reading people's experiences/questions, etc...but now that you came out with your own, try to keep it up here. I think the folks who tend to be more active here, with answering other's questions, etc...are all doing a great job in the success of their own journeys. I plan to be, that's why I'm here everyday myself. Let us see GWBICSTER all over the place! :)

2 hours ago, Newme17 said:

I'm the opposite, I hate having leftovers in the fridge, have always froze them. I'd encourage you to start freezing your portions that are leftover...it'll be easier to say no too, having to get it out and defrost them, etc, then to just grab what's in the fridge and start eating. You can do all of these things...and the fact that you've reached out on here with your concerns is a step forward. I've noted that you've been reading people's experiences/questions, etc...but now that you came out with your own, try to keep it up here. I think the folks who tend to be more active here, with answering other's questions, etc...are all doing a great job in the success of their own journeys. I plan to be, that's why I'm here everyday myself. Let us see GWBICSTER all over the place! :)

I totally agree - being active here really helps keep me focused and on track. Its a daily reminder of what I need to do - and DAMN, it is very easy to get derailed it you stop paying attention.

@gwbicster - you are awesome! so many people post questions and then aren't open to the answers. You have an open mind and curiosity about what it takes to succeed. I predict that you are going to be very successful !! and in a few months, you'll be paying it forward to the next wave of people getting surgery. ;)

Wendy's chili is a terrible choice and this is why...
It trains you that you can still eat fast food and everything is okay. This is your time for a mental reset and going to a fast food restaurant is blowing that reset and keeping fast food normalized. This is a dangerous gamble for a food addict.
Protein Shakes are available at every gas station and grocery store. There is no reason someone is forced to eat fast food. It is a choice. Period.
It starts with Wendy's chili but it will evolve into more.
Stop eating fast food. If you want chili you can make it at home in less than 20 minutes of active cooking and let it simmer. The chili you make at home will be healthier and have lower carbs.

I will disagree here.

I think one can make reasonable fast food choices part of a healthy Bariatric diet. I have incorporate things like Wendy's chili, chick fil a grilled nuggets, grilled chicken from mc Donald's, chicken from chipotle, etc. into my diet on an occasional basis from early on. I've lost 135 lbs (half my starting weight) kept it off for more than three years so far and still going strong.

Is home cooked food better? For sure! Ideally we would eat clean unprocessed whole food all the time.

My life is not ideal. I have always followed my best practices diet. I didn't eat a piece of bread, a potato, rice or Pasta for over a year. I still only eat them every couple of months. But high Protein fast food that fits my macros in small portions fits my plan and my surgeons.

I don't think this is a slippery slope.

But there are different paths to success.

These are fine tuning the details. We aren't arguing about whether it's OK to eat a piece of pizza or a donut. I think this is one where we can just disagree.

I can see both sides. It is correct that investing the time to cook for yourself is by far the best option. I am starting a new job full-time this Fall after being part time for a few years and that is part of the anxiety for me. I am uneasy about the lack of free time that I will have and perhaps this will have to factor in the calculation.

The biggest obstacle for me is being willing to invest the time to cook without the immediate reward of stuffing my face. That's something that I need to work on.

For me, a huge key is the easy grab and go feature with food. Even now, when I'm hungry, I'm HUNGRY, and want to eat right now. I fill up super fast, then I can go on with my day.

At 2 weeks out, I only made broth a few times. Mostly I just relied on dairy (no cooking required). Open the fridge, get out the cottage cheese (3 weeks out), eat a few spoonfuls, put it back. Simple, no problem.

Now, at almost 4 months out, I cook everyday, but not like you'd think.

Crack an egg in a pan, cook it over-medium. Takes about 2 minutes.

Open a can of Beans, measure out 3oz into a bowl, microwave for 1 minute.

Put 4oz of meat or fish onto a pan, season, cook for about 10 minutes until done.

Put 4oz of spinach into a pan, add a bit of olive oil and seasoning (garlic vinegar, YUM!), wilt.. takes about 2 minutes.

I usually use the same pan for everything, cast iron.. just wipe it out between meals.

fruit, nuts, dairy, other veggies.. these don't need much prep at all. Just measure out the nuts, and cut up the veggies, and you're set. Hardboil some eggs ahead of time, and you have a quick, portable snack. (Not everyone can tolerate plain hardboiled eggs, but you might).

Any of these meals take less time to prepare than going out to eat. The trick is figuring out the portability.. and that depends on your situation. An insulated lunch box with a cold pack might be a good investment. If you have a microwave at school, a can of low sodium Soup can be a good lunch.

Congrats on your new position! I think you'll find things are going to be a lot simpler (food wise) than you ever dreamed! ;)