Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did y'all have your first bowel movement after surgery??

23 hours ago, heyheysaraj said:

I had surgery on 6/26 and I still haven't had a bowel movement. I've been taking Miralax and walking walking walking. Maybe tomorrow will be the big day?

HW: 296
SW: 262
CW: 259.6
Surgery date: 6/26/17

Hi there. I had my bypass too on 6/26/17. I haven't had 1 either but I was wondering was it due to the fact that we haven't really been eating? How do you feel otherwise? It's been very hard on me so far with emotions low, hungry all the time, very tender and no energy.

Hi there. I had my bypass too on 6/26/17. I haven't had 1 either but I was wondering was it due to the fact that we haven't really been eating? How do you feel otherwise? It's been very hard on me so far with emotions low, hungry all the time, very tender and no energy.

I called my surgeon's office today and they said it's a combo of the minimal eating and the narcotics. They also said they don't expect the first BM until 5-7 days post op so not to worry too much, but definitely take some Milk of Magnesia.

I honestly feel like hell. I'm exhausted, weak, shaky, emotional (I'll cry over ANYTHING), and starving. If there was a way to back out right now, I would, but the deed is done. I'm sure we'll both be having an easier time in a few weeks, though. That's what I keep telling myself.

HW: 296
SW: 262
CW: 256.6
Surgery date: 6/26/17

All of yall just hang in there. The hard part is over and your new life is just beginning. We all have to crawl before we walk but when we do we are going to be shining bright like diamonds!!

It was at least a week following surgery and I was dreading it. I've had 4 vaginal deliveries and dreaded the first few BMs after each childbirth, so I was scared of this too. While there was some discomfort it was not nearly as bad as I had imagined. For the first year I was an every other day or so pooper. I can still go a day or two without having a BM, although these days coffee really helps get the process going, at least for me.

shortly after posting this I ended up having one so on the 3rd day for me as well and have had one each day since but that is probably aided by the fact my aunt flow decided to come into town >.< couldn't have picked a better time ugh

Mine was 1 week after surgery and I had to take Miralax, till this day I have to take something almost everyday to help me go to the bathroom.

I had Ulcerative colitis back in the day and had a complete large intestine removal 17 years ago. Therefore, I go to the bathroom on average 8-10 times a day. I had surgery on 6/26/2017 and didn't have a BM for 2 days. I was advised to take benefiber (which is awesome because it dissolves completely and you can't even taste it) and that helped.

You can imagine that going from 8-10 times a day, every day for 17 years, to 0 for two days made me very scared. However, the GI tract just needs some time to chill out.

I hope yours gets moving soon too.

shortly after posting this I ended up having one so on the 3rd day for me as well and have had one each day since but that is probably aided by the fact my aunt flow decided to come into town >.

I got aunt flow the day of surgery [emoji50] I was slightly embarrassed hahaha

Sent from my A1601 using BariatricPal mobile app

It was 5 days post-op for me...and it was sporadic until I could get enough water/liquids in. Once I started to CONSISTENTLY get in enough liquids AND Proteins, things got better. Once you're back on solid food, EAT A LOT OF VEGGIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It really helps.