Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cruise "Mocktails"

Hi all, I had my GS surgery back in February, and its been VERY successful (lost a third of my body weight already between the surgery and crossfit). I've been extremely good at keeping to guidelines, but I do have a question on an upcoming vacation I have on a cruise to the Caribbean. I've already worked out where and what to eat to keep my Protein goals and to avoid too many calories as well as Fluid intake, and I've only overeaten once since surgery (and have zero plans to do so on the cruise). However, I wouldn't mind having a few non-alcoholic cocktails (pina coladas, etc.) on the ship each day. Problem is, they do not have nutritional information (sugar, calories, etc.) available.

Would I cause lasting damage to my surgery / progress if I were to go over calories on the trip (again, not via overeating). I don't mind if I put on a couple pounds as long as it won't stretch things out or screw my body up. I'm trying to find a good balance between enjoying myself while staying disciplined on not making myself sick / stretching out my stomach.

Thanks for any advice!

I don't think you would do any lasting damage. Yes they have a ton of sugar and calories, but I think if you have a few while on vacation it won't be the end of the world. It is a vacation after all and not your normal eating habbits. You probably won't even be able to finish a whole drink.

You will NOT be able to stretch out your stomach. When done correctly, the sleeve cannot be stretched. If you eat too much you'll just vomit. If it's not a common occurence you won't do any damage to yourself. I am 2 years post op and still once in a while forget myself and overindulge...which results in having to run to the nearest bathroom.

Enjoy your vacation!!!

5 months out you certainly can overindulge. The sugary cocktail mixes can be full of calories. Crystal Light mixes have flavors like peach, mojito, pineapple, mango, watermelon, and you can make your flavor of the day with little single packets, easy to carry. You can mix these also with Diet Sprite or 7Up if you want the dreaded fizz. They had nothing sugar free on Norweigian last year, like lemonade by the pool. Luckily I do like unsweetened tea at dinner, but Water and Crystal Light worked great. if you decide to indulge in a nighttime drink, order a shot of light rum, take to your room and mix with the crystal light. . Or order light rum over ice, carry your Crystal Light, and add to the drink. Enjoy your cruise! Caution, alcohol can hit you like a ton of bricks, and wine is no longer an option for me.

I'd say you should be fine. I read an article the other day and it was saying when a sleeve pt over eats at say a holiday event they would be consuming maybe 1500 calories vs prior to the surgery where it would several thousand calories. Just so they go back on track afterward and don't make it a habit.

HW: 280
SW: 231
CW: 203
GW: 140
Sleeved 5/31/17

29 minutes ago, hmills653 said:

I'd say you should be fine. I read an article the other day and it was saying when a sleeve pt over eats at say a holiday event they would be consuming maybe 1500 calories vs prior to the surgery where it would several thousand calories. Just so they go back on track afterward and don't make it a habit.

HW: 280
SW: 231
CW: 203
GW: 140
Sleeved 5/31/17

I have to agree with this. I have days on occasion where I look back and think, wow I ate way too much today. But if I really count it out it's still under 2000 calories. Where as before on a day that I ate "A LOT" it would be more like 5000 calories.

I have to agree with this. I have days on occasion where I look back and think, wow I ate way too much today. But if I really count it out it's still under 2000 calories. Where as before on a day that I ate "A LOT" it would be more like 5000 calories.

agreed as well. my daily intake is what i used to eat in an entire meal. this procedure is LIFE CHANGING. enjoy yourself, keep working out and pay attention, but ENJOY YOURSELF. you have this awesome new life now. it takes time and dedication but don't overthink it. have fun, let loose and enjoy your cruise, sir!

2 hours ago, hmills653 said:

This is a great point. I'm not too worried about the food - At this point I generally know what a "serving" is for me. But a mixed drink? Besides the sugar it could be 200 or 2000 calories :)

This is a great point. I'm not too worried about the food - At this point I generally know what a "serving" is for me. But a mixed drink? Besides the sugar it could be 200 or 2000 calories [emoji4]

it could be. think about it this way tho. if you drink a 500 calorie drink you're also not eating 5000 calories on top of it like you would have. you're still doing the right thing. all about balance. you've done so well for so long. enjoy it, brother.

Hey I just came back from a cruise. Sticking to the Protein and a workout schedule helped a lot. I tried lots of food but made sure to stop when I knew eating more would hurt. In terms of drinks, I avoided the sugary mixes and have bartenders muddle real fruit into drinks. Like a few orange slices or pineapple into vodka. It gave it flavor without the crazy cals from the drink mixes they use for daiquiri and coladas. Of course if this is your first time drinking go very very slowly, it does hit fast. Enjoy your trip!

I just did a 7 day cruise a few weeks ago. Just before I went, my nutritionist told me not to be afraid of sugar. I was like...uh what!? I had been avoiding sugar like the plague for 14 months. Anyhow, I trust her and enjoyed ice cream, Desserts and a little bread. I was surprised that I could barely eat one scoop of ice cream in a sitting. I shared 2 or 3 fruity drinks with hubby and didn't feel loopy. I got home and was 5 or 6 lbs up. Figured now I need to work on this. Going back to my normal diet was just habit at this point and it all came off in 3 days! My nut said my hormones have changed and that is consistent with my new ability to control sweets where I was out of control before. She also said if it came off that quick it was really Water from the sodium. It is a head game. You know you better than anyone. Don't be afraid to trust yourself.

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

This sounds like the advice I was given (and by several people here). I'll have ice cream, but no way in heck I'm having a lot of it; I don't drink beer anymore, and likely one of those large cocktails will fill me up.

My goal is going to be ensuring I don't overeat - While I know you're not supposed to be able to stretch the stomach, I like that I have an illogical fear of that :) . I'll keep to food and drink 30 mins apart, and I'll be working out daily (my crossfit head already gave me a workout I can do on the ship with the equipment they have).

Would love to hear your experience when you get back.

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

This sounds like the advice I was given (and by several people here). I'll have ice cream, but no way in heck I'm having a lot of it; I don't drink beer anymore, and likely one of those large cocktails will fill me up.
My goal is going to be ensuring I don't overeat - While I know you're not supposed to be able to stretch the stomach, I like that I have an illogical fear of that [emoji4] . I'll keep to food and drink 30 mins apart, and I'll be working out daily (my crossfit head already gave me a workout I can do on the ship with the equipment they have).

is it true you can't stretch it? i've been wondering why i can eat more now that a couple months ago. i'm only 4 months post op, but i'm usually eating around 1400 calories a day. also working out and lifting some heavy weights to stay fit.

9 hours ago, JNewman531 said:

is it true you can't stretch it? i've been wondering why i can eat more now that a couple months ago. i'm only 4 months post op, but i'm usually eating around 1400 calories a day. also working out and lifting some heavy weights to stay fit.

Yes, it is true. If done properly the part of your stomach that stretches is removed. You can eat more now because your internal swelling has gone down. It can take a while for all the swelling to finally go away.

Drinking hard liquor on the rocks is better than drinking mixers and basically straight sugar.

I have always thought cruises were the devil and the induced gluttony that people post about them on here has lowered my opinion of them even more. A floating all you can eat buffet...