Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New York Bariatric Group - Anyone use them??

I have a surgery date of July 19th. I am getting a little concerned with the group because I feel unprepared for the liquid diet and the post op diet. I feel the NY bariatric group explanations during the process are terrible and they push you so fast through like a meat factory.

Is this the norm for the industry? I am finally done with every prerequisite I needed to do and had some time to put in thought. Thanks for the help!!

You should never feel like you're being pushed through like a meat factory.

i had a totally different experience at Cleveland Clinic. I never waited more than 5 min for my appointment. Everyone was there just for me....or at least that's how they made me feel. Everyone smiled and was friendly, and I never felt rushed.....plenty of time to ask all my questions. And they gave a lot of handouts.....all about the surgery, post op care and diet stages....lists of vitamins...and exercises.

you could call them and see if they would take your prerequisites from NY....but if your having doubts....don't do it.

it might be presurgical jitters, tho. Either way, I wish you the very best results.

Dr Sekhar's results I have read on here and elsewhere are tremendous, i guess when it comes down to it, its how good the surgeon is....which have been amazing.

I think their system in their main office of Roslyn where I dealt with the dietician and a few others, the explanations on the diet and pre and post out exactly was terrible.

Not too late to switch... have your surgery at Syosset hospital, their program is fantastic., both the pre-op and post-op care. Dr McMullen is wonderul

I have a surgery date of July 19th. I am getting a little concerned with the group because I feel unprepared for the liquid diet and the post op diet. I feel the NY bariatric group explanations during the process are terrible and they push you so fast through like a meat factory.
Is this the norm for the industry? I am finally done with every prerequisite I needed to do and had some time to put in thought. Thanks for the help!!

I used them and I think they're great! I see dr. Angstadt out in Port Jefferson because I live out east on the island. The only time I felt rushed was when I asked if they could speed things up because of my upcoming wedding so the helped me get my appointments and get surgery a month earlier than I was originally booked, but that was a good thing!

If you have any other questions, lmk!

I use the Roslyn office too. The doctors at the group are great. They have a ton of experience and super low complication rates. I saw Dr Angstadt and he is very kind and willing to answer any and all questions. The PAs are very nice as well and you will see mostly them post-op. There is also a good support group that meets there once a month on a thursday night. The next one is 7/13. It is open to pre-op and post-op.

I had my surgery done at St. Francis. They had me come in the week before surgery for a mandatory educational session with a nurse practitioner. I know Mercy also does the same thing. That session was really informative and went over everything in a lot of detail. You'll feel better after that and can ask all the questions you want.

The post-op diet is a little different than what I've seen described on this forum. Basically, we skip the post-op liquid diet and can jump into soft foods as soon as you get home and are ready. In the first week, focus on staying hydrated. Drink your shakes when you can, but your stomach is very inflamed and sore and it is hard to get in anything so you want to put hydration above nutrition. The nurse from the hospital will call you a few days after you are home to see if you are ok and to make sure you are drinking enough.

As soon as you are ready, add in soft Protein foods like scrambled eggs. Month 2 you can add soft cooked vegetables and will have 3 oz of protein with 1 oz of veg for each meal. After the 3rd month, you can change one of the day's veggies to a fruit. That's kind of it for a while. 3 oz of protein and 1 oz of veg/fruit, slowly weaning yourself off the shakes. We don't get white carbs added back in until maintenance.

I really like the New York Baractirc Group! Dr. Angstadt is awsome felt no pain after surgery and I feel Great!

Thanks guys and girls, the replies really mean a lot to me. The reassurance helps a lot. After doing more research it may have just been a pre surgery panic attack I guess to a certain extent. :)

8 minutes ago, Yve108 said:

I really like the New York Baractirc Group! Dr. Angstadt is awsome felt no pain after surgery and I feel Great!

Agreed! I never had any of the horrible gas pain that everyone else described :)

Another Dr. Angstadt patient here, and I use the Roslyn office. I had a really good experience with him and he spent time with me going through my questions. I have also left messages and the PAs have called me back with answers. I definitely second the hospital pre-surgery class as a good place to discuss questions with the nurse. The one at Mercy was very good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using BariatricPal mobile app

2ndSpring, can you tell me your experience with StFrancis? I have my preop testing tomorrow but I'm more asking about the day of surgery and day after. And the GI study we have to take. Are the staff nice and compassionate? Is it private?