Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I finally did it. Four days post op...

After 6 months of starting this process it finally happen, June 12th (4 days ago). I got my sleeve. it was supposed to be outpatient day surgery but since it was late when I got to recovery they just decided to keep me overnight. Then when they were going to release my the next day my bp was higher than I have ever seen it and my heart rate was very low. so the doctors would not release me. I spent another night there and finally after 3 doctors and a PA pow wow and realized something they were doing was making my bp high they decided to release me. 3days, 2 nights in the hospital I could not wait to leave. I cannot remember much about the first night except being in pain. And after that, when you are a patient in the hospital they keep your pain level to a minimal so day 2 and 3 were kind of blurs, just meds, 1 0z of broth, popsicles, Water and walking.

My first night out was rough. I was tired, somewhat un-sure of what I had really done and could not see what was different yet. Once I went home the following day I could now see some of the what's different. I am still coming up with a plan as to how to get 64oz in each day. I know it can be done, other people are and have done it, I just need to figure out my method. When I drink at certain times it really hurts going down, I am trying to figure what makes it hurt, sipping is best but there are times I am so thirsty. My stomach hurt really really bad like bad growling pains , but are they growling pains? So I drink something 1oz and it makes it feel better until it goes into the stomach, then it hurts again. I just need to learn my body again. I want food, I want to eat and I thinks it's only because I am use to eating.

3 weeks of liquid, when does it get easier???

And finally last night I was sleeping on my side and while in a deep sleep I keep having that horrible pain that I get when I drink my 1oz to fast or try to drink 2 (1oz) back to back) so bad I woke up after it continued to happen a few times. Is there or did anyone else get this? So the journey continues and I thank all of you who shares there story, it helps to read what others are going through. I really do appreciate you all.

Sent from my SM-G928T using BariatricPal mobile app

Glad you are home and doing well. I'm 3 days post-op and I is a challenge to get the Water in. I think I was going too long between taking pain mess. I'm not in a lot of pain....just uncomfortable. When I take the Mede on schedule, I feel better and can drink more easily.

Ive had the tummy growls a few time...when that happened I switch to a Protein Shake from water.

Good luck.

It's tough getting the fluids in the first week. I was drinking about 40oz per day my first week. It was all I could tolerate. The stomach gurgling and growling is normal. During my first week I'd have gurgling at just about every sip. They went down as my tolerance got better. The way I kept track of my fluids was to set a timer every time I sipped. At first, I believe I was taking 5mins between sips (I was in the hospital getting fluids so at least I was meeting fluid goals that way), and as the week went on I set my timer to 4mins, 3mins, 2mins, etc. And if you're gonna ask, yes, my phone timer was constantly going off the first 2 weeks after surgery, I just set the volume down so it wouldn't be too annoying.

I'm 3 weeks out now and get gurgles now if I take too large of a gulp, drink too quickly, or if I introduce new foods. Just take it slow. If you really can't get your fluids in call your surgeon's office and let them know.

When I first got out of surgery I was screaming about pain. I was still having issues with pain and lots of it thru yesterday when they let me go. Being home has lessened some of it and being able to just do my own thing at the house instead of being stuck in a room. I seem to be able to tolerate the liquids better lately so I'm happy about that. I'm sad to see others that hurt bad after surgery but glad I wasn't alone. It made me doubt if I should have done it at all.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Post op day 3 today. Got in my 60 oz of Fluid and 60 gram Protein. That is a million tiny sips. Still having slight pain and burping. I found standing up and drinking kinda helps.