Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are people affording all these plastics without insurance copays??? I mean, do most people just have an extra $10,000 lying around, or is there some magic financing I'm not aware of? Especially with regards to traveling to places like Mexico to have them done, which sounds amazing and lavish and wonderful, but maybe I'm just not a responsible enough adult to have that much savings? ... most likely this is the case :/ *sigh

Some people have saved up for it, and some people have it financed through credit cards, Care Credit, private loans, etc...I even know a gal who took out an equity loan on her home to have it done.

Probably adding more debt to their debts for most. Some are responsible and have a good amount of savings. Maybe family pays for it? All I know is if you really want it, you'll find a way to get it.

I have already started saving for mine...lol.. I am a firm believer in saving up for major purchases. I hate debt unless it is an emergency and I can't avoid it.

I am going to save $10,000 and then if I decide I don't need plastics I will use it to buy my next car.

i have read that many people take a second job or work overtime to save. Like @Newme17 said, if you really want it you will find a way.

Personally, if I lost my job today due to layoff or termination, I have enough money saved to live on for the next 5 years without working. This doesn't even include the funds in my 401k and IRA.

Due to being raised in a paycheck-to-paycheck household by parents who often mismanaged household finances, I learned firsthand what not to do with money at an early age.

I'm a good saver. I also have no children, so I have no cash outlays for pricey kid necessities such as daycare, toys, clothes, school supplies, diapers, lunches, etc. My lifestyle is also low-key with a starter home, two used cars (read: no car payment), occasional fine dining, and a couple of yearly vacations.

Meanwhile, I've considered an arm lift (brachioplasty) in Monterrey, Mexico. I may or may not get it. I'll make up my mind in a year or two. The rest of my body is fairly toned.

I've also heard of people taking out home equity loans - or borrowing it from their 401k's.

it's usually way cheaper in Mexico, which is why some people go there.

44 minutes ago, Introversion said:

Personally, if I lost my job today due to layoff or termination, I have enough money saved to live on for the next 5 years without working. This doesn't even include the funds in my 401k and IRA.

Due to being raised in a paycheck-to-paycheck household by parents who often mismanaged household finances, I learned firsthand what not to do with money at an early age.

I'm a good saver. I also have no children, so I have no cash outlays for pricey kid necessities such as daycare, toys, clothes, school supplies, diapers, lunches, etc. My lifestyle is also low-key with a starter home, two used cars (read: no car payment), occasional fine dining, and a couple of yearly vacations.

Meanwhile, I've considered an arm lift (brachioplasty) in Monterrey, Mexico. I may or may not get it. I'll make up my mind in a year or two. The rest of my body is fairly toned.

Good for you!!!!

2 hours ago, Apple1 said:

I have already started saving for mine...lol.. I am a firm believer in saving up for major purchases. I hate debt unless it is an emergency and I can't avoid it.

I am going to save $10,000 and then if I decide I don't need plastics I will use it to buy my next car.

i have read that many people take a second job or work overtime to save. Like @Newme17 said, if you really want it you will find a way.

I need to, but my kids are expensive now. Currently $1500 goes out every month for school and activities. It's ridiculous. I need a break.

1 minute ago, Newme17 said:

I need to, but my kids are expensive now. Currently $1500 goes out every month for school and activities. It's ridiculous. I need a break.

I bet. I know how expensive kids are now a days. My daughter and her husband work opposite shifts so they can save on daycare costs. When my two were in daycare back in the day I paid $65 a week for both of them. That wouldn't even pay for one now.

Thanks guys! Mostly I was just having a mini pity party [emoji322] haha!

Thankfully my insurance covered the skin removal I had done, although they wouldn't pay for belly button... had to cough up $2400!

15 hours ago, swizzle said:

How are people affording all these plastics without insurance copays??? I mean, do most people just have an extra $10,000 lying around, or is there some magic financing I'm not aware of? Especially with regards to traveling to places like Mexico to have them done, which sounds amazing and lavish and wonderful, but maybe I'm just not a responsible enough adult to have that much savings? ... most likely this is the case :/ *sigh

Surgery is inexpensive and if you have good credit, financing surgery is pretty easy.

I would rather save than finance. It wouldn't take me long to get the money together if I was dedicated to it, 2 to 3 months.

WLS patients come from many different walks of life and a wide variety of age groups.

Surgery in most Latin countries is about 1/2 what it costs in the US, even with travel. The one reason I would go out of the country is because of the recovery houses, since you need help doing things and I live alone. I could have a friend with me, but I don't even want my friends seeing me sliced and diced like that.

Well, my story goes this way!! I lost my weight and had many skin issues. I went to my PS and his office was in my Surgeon's office. Because of ongoing skin infections I reported to my PCP, PS and my Dermatologist. I also took pictures of my infections. I didn't need them at all. The PS office personal know exactly what the insureance co needs. My surgery for my skin removal was coved 100%. I had a severe reaction to the muscle relaxant that they used. I was paralyzed and couldn't move anything for 8hours. I came to unable to move and the nurse was shocking my temple I couldn't tell them I was awake at all. All and all my skin surgery ended up costing wait for it....$38,000. All of it was paid by my insureance. Thank goodness Personally I would not go to Mexico or any where else for surgery. When you have to see a DR for whatever reason it might be hard to get someone else to see you. Not sure but I did fire my WL Surgeon and had not one problem going to another Bariatric Group.