Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

22 hours ago, Newme17 said:

Probably adding more debt to their debts for most. Some are responsible and have a good amount of savings. Maybe family pays for it? All I know is if you really want it, you'll find a way to get it.

Completely agree that if you really want it, you'll find a way to get it. I wrote a list of ways to save money for the future about 3 months ago, and when I decided I wanted surgery it was serendipitous that I had the money to do it. I paid with my mastercard so I could get points, but then I paid off my mastercard the same week after putting $10,000 cash in the bank..which was weird to begin with, I've never done that before trust me. About 4 days before that I was going to buy a used car ($11,000) with money I had been saving, when the seller backed out.. already I had cut down on my expenses and started using less of my paycheques, and was saving- by cutting off my TV, that I honestly never watch because Netflix exists for $8/month . I also cut out unnecessary groceries,(diet coke, high cost meat, etc.) or things that weren't on sale, if I didn't need them. We started eating healthier and just saved money really. My fiance and I don't share bank accounts so when I had about $7000 in the bank, I combined it with my $4000.00 tax return, got the rest from my ever supportive, loving fiance, :780_sparkling_heart:and booked the surgery that day. Its in Mexico, and I paid USD too!!! It turned a $6000 surgery into a $9500 surgery in about 2 seconds because of our exchange. OH and HUUUUGE help, we stopped eating out as often kind of randomly back in January to lose a bit of weight! I don't drink much at home, I don't smoke cigarettes, I don't have kids, and I'm too embarrased about my size to go clothing shopping unless I need to because I ripped a hole in the thigh of my pants from walking.

Then 2 days later Medic-Aid called and said they would cover me, and I was relieved to say no thank you. Now my only debt is the remaining $300,000.00 on my house hahaha....:44_frowning2:

Hard work and savings. I know my last promotion and bonus would not have happened if I was still 225 lbs woman. That is irritating but I still promoted - LOL

Thankfully my insurance covered the skin removal I had done, although they wouldn't pay for belly button... had to cough up $2400!

What exactly was removed and where, did you need a new belly button?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using BariatricPal mobile app

My insurance will pay if I develop a rash that won't go away under the pannis or some other issue. The surgeon told me if it happens to go to my MD right away so it can be documented. I am only about 14 weeks out so it is not necessary yet, I have lost a total of 84 pounds and have more to go

Self pay with good credit and a zero interest credit card. Not everyone is in debt and saved as they should.

Savings and inheritance from my mom passing. I have accounts that are separate from my checking that an allotment gets deposited every two weeks. I never miss the money and they aren't connected to debit cards so I can't pull money unless I go to the actually bank. Every now and then I login to the online site and see the benefits. It actually builds up fast.

On 6/12/2017 at 6:48 PM, swizzle said:

How are people affording plastics

@swizzle

i robbed the bank:D

naw, i would never do that!! LOL

DH and i are very frugal/thrifty/CHEAP!!

we constantly add/save our money, 401K etc.

we also have money put aside for a rainy

day or PS, whichever comes first!! LOL

many people live paycheck to paycheck:(

economy being what it is, can be hard to

save money - esp. when you have family/kids/
bills, bills, and more bills!! -

you can have PS in the future with saved

money/finance etc - right now, continue to eat

well - and get healthier and happier

you are doing terrific with your weight loss

good luck bud

kathy

I think it depends on the procedure, if you can get a doctor to say that it is medically necessary insurance may cover somethings. I am a ways away from plastics but every time I go to the doctor I be sure to log a complaint about the skin and getting rashes and irritation. If need be I plan to take out a loan to pay for plastics when I'm ready.

MY surgeon actually told me to be on the look out for any rashes or skin irritations. If it happens let my primary doctor know right away.... my Insurance will pay for skin removal for medical reasons. However, it depends on your insurance

My daughter and I were discussing this topic over the weekend. As we were waiting at a stoplight, a gentleman was walking the median with a sign asking for money saying he was homeless, but had on nice clothes, designer shoes, and smoking a cigarette. I told my daughter, maybe I should try that but with a sign telling the truth, NEED MONEY FOR BOOB JOB! We laughed, but then my daughter said, people would respect the truth and you would probably get enough money in a couple of weeks.

I am scheduled for a upper and lower abdominal surgery in September. My insurance will cover most of it. I used a bariatric center at a university hospital. The head of plastic surgery there wrote the leading textbook on body contour after weight loss. He mostly teaches, but works a couple days a month at the bariatric clinic.

This matters because my insurance will cover skin removal for medical reasons like rashes and so on, but it has to be done by a bariatric center of excellence and billed by the bariatric group, not a plastic surgeon (since that would be considered cosmetic).

Knowing all that, the plastic surgeon works through the bariatric clinic and they are well versed in getting approval.

I went to my primary care about rashes and asked for a referral. Then saw a dermatologist and made an appointment with the surgeon. They took pictures and submitted a package. It was approved within 48 hours.

The only catch is the my insurance won't cover some things like support garments and belly button. I'll pay out of pocket for those things. It's been about 16 months since my VSG and we have been putting aside all the money we are saving on groceries and prescription co-pays for all the medications I no longer have to take.

I'm very fortunate to have this covered and even more blessed to be in a financial situation where I can make this a priority. It's not easy, but I've been obese my entire life. I'm 43 now and I have worked so hard to get this far. I just want to be able to like the way my body looks naked for once in my life. My kids are grown and now it's about me. :-)

I had to pay $200.00 to the hospital. Am 19 days post op from a breast reduction of 1400 grams from the left and 1500 grams from the right and a FNG. Am hoping and praying I don't get any other kind of bill.

Sadly my insurance has really specific requirements including that the pannus had to pass the pubic bone and mine did not, so all the rashes and mobility issues in the world wouldn't have gotten mine covered. Other insurances don't allow them in any circumstances.

You need to get a copy of your insurance plan and read the details and see how and if it can be covered.

I paid out of pocket.

On 7/15/2017 at 11:58 PM, jess9395 said:

Sadly my insurance has really specific requirements including that the pannus had to pass the pubic bone and mine did not, so all the rashes and mobility issues in the world wouldn't have gotten mine covered. Other insurances don't allow them in any circumstances.

You need to get a copy of your insurance plan and read the details and see how and if it can be covered.

I paid out of pocket.

I'm w/ Jess, my employer is the same when it comes to the strict guidelines for the pannus. I knew going in they were going to deny my PA, but it was still worth the try. The skin in that area is minimal, nothing a little girdle can't handle. The breast lift and reduction, we (BCBS) just approved that and will be covering the costs. Out of pocket, I'll only be paying $500.00.