Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just had my first appointment yesterday at a bariatric clinic and was basically approved to do a bariatric surgery. I was given the choice between the two and have been watching videos and reading articles about each of them. I'm just curious, which one did you choose? How did the process go over? How long has it been since the surgery? Has the surgery been successful? Do you regret it?

I'm very nervous, but very excited for this new journey and want as much information as I possibly can gather to make the best decision for me. I appreciate all your responses in advance!

I chose the sleeve because I've never had GERD, I am only pre diabetic, and it had the same long term success rate.
I was sleeved 15 days ago and have no regrets. The pain for me was minimal. I'm healing well and can get everything in easily (liquids). It's not always a breeze. Sometimes I'm hungry and mad I can't eat. Sometimes I don't care one bit about eating. It's a journey and not an event. I was so focused on surgery, I thought that after surgery was going to be a breeze. It's work. Both surgeries. They also both work well if you use them properly. I'm still learning and have much more to experience. I wish you luck with choosing your surgery!

My surgeon recommended the RNY to me. I took his advice and had it done 7 1/2 months ago. I am doing great (no complications) and would do it again in a heartbeat. My only regret is that I didn't have it done sooner.

I chose the sleeve because I had a lower BMI and did not want the added risks of having my intestines rerouted. I am type 2 diabetic and I have had great success with my BS since surgery.

I had approximately 100 pounds to lose and only one comorbid health problem (elevated cholesterol). I was also prediabetic and hypothyroid.

I chose the sleeve. I gradually lost the 100 pounds of excess weight and have been able to maintain the loss with a relatively normal intake of 2000+ calories a day.

All bariatric surgeries are great. I personally didn't want the bypass due to a phenomenon called intestinal adaptation: years after the Roux-En-Y, the intestinal villi enlarge and become more adept at absorbing calories. This primes the body for rapid regain, though people can and do regain with any bariatric surgery.

I also like the fact that the sleeve leaves the pyloric valve intact.

1 hour ago, Introversion said:

I had approximately 100 pounds to lose and only one comorbid health problem (elevated cholesterol). I was also prediabetic and hypothyroid.

I chose the sleeve. I gradually lost the 100 pounds of excess weight and have been able to maintain the loss with a relatively normal intake of 2000+ calories a day.

All bariatric surgeries are great. I personally didn't want the bypass due to a phenomenon called intestinal adaptation: years after the Roux-En-Y, the intestinal villi enlarge and become more adept at absorbing calories. This primes the body for rapid regain, though people can and do regain with any bariatric surgery.

I also like the fact that the sleeve leaves the pyloric valve intact.

I thought you just go back to regular calorie absorption, like you had before surgery. Are you saying it's more? Haven't heard that - but I'll look for some research articles on it. You can rapidly regain from any surgery if you're not careful.

You don't have any calorie malabsorption from the sleeve, so it never really changes. That's why there's usually more rapid loss initially with the bypass, but it evens out by the end of year 2.

EDIT: what I meant was, the rate of calorie absorption goes back to about what it was before surgery. I'm sure the remaining villi have to become more efficient over time since some of the small intestine has been bypassed. But I would assume this happens gradually over time - over the course of the first year or two - it's not like it's abruptly switched off and on (although I have never actually read any research studies on this). So anyway, you would have a lot of time to adapt to that. So I'm not sure why rapid regain would be any more of a risk with RNY than VSG. I've never read anything that would indicate that. I think it depends a lot more on how vigilant you are on monitoring your weight and your food intake.

Edited by catwoman7

I had GERD prior to surgery, so my choice was a no-brainer: RNY. If it weren't for that, I could have gone either way. They're both good surgeries.

I've been very successful (lost 100% of my excess weight - over 200 lbs) and would do it again in a heartbeat. The first few weeks can be a little rough, but after that, I was fine.

I'm single and I live alone. I chose the sleeve because of the easier recovery and lower complications. It also requires a lower level of life long maintenance.

I didn't have GERD so the Sleeve was an was an easy choice.

What surgery you want is really a personal choice.

A couple things to consider is what surgery does your Surgeon perform the most of? That is the one they are probably skilled with the best. And then your other medical conditions. Long term they are about the same as far as weight loss, how much weight you lose is up to you.

I was just sleeved on 5/31 So too soon to tell weight loss just yet. I chose the sleeve because of not having to reroute the intestines. My starting weight was 256#. I have arthritis in my knees and spine, hypertension, pulmonary embolism a few yrs ago, asthma, sleep apnea, and gastritis. I waa having a really hard time walking after I had to stop taking my NSAID prior to surgery. My ortho doc gave me a nerve block in the knee that was bothering me the day before surgery so I could walk post op without any problems. I'm glad for that I can say it really worked great. Now I was a bundle of nerves prior to surgery and woke up with horrible sharp gas pain in my shoulder. The first day in the hospital post op, I thought "what the hell did I do to my body" I know this is short term pain and discomfort (the gas is worse than incision pain). I get my drain out on Thursday. My surgeon had asked me which I was considering bypass or sleeve then told me I would be a candidate for either so we did the sleeve and hiatal hernia repair. I do feel better each day. I'm taking some time off work and couldn't imagine going back to soon you really need the time to get your fluids and Protein in. The timing works as well because I have 2 teen girls at home to help me out and they're on summer break right now.

Sent from my SM-N920T using BariatricPal mobile app

I had GERD BIG TIME (every night, slept sitting up) for years prior to my sleeve. My Doctor fixed my hiatal hernia at the same time he did my sleeve and I have not had even the slightest heartburn or GERD. LOVE, LOVE my sleeve. By the 7th day after surgery I felt like my good old self and have had no regrets.

AI think you just need to work with your doctor and do your research and see which one works best for you.

Edited by samiam67

I had the RNY July 2, 2013. I weighed 249#'s (I was 285#'s but managed to lose some thru the time before my WLS) My Surgery weight was 232 my lowest weight was 117#'s my current weight is 125#'s. I lost all of my weight in 6 months. And I have maintained 125#'s for 3 and 1/2 years. I chose this surgery because I figured that I had one shot to do this and I should go big or go home. I was Insulin resistant and took 100units of Levermire 2 times a day plus 500mg of Metformin 2 times a day. I took 12 differnt medications but now I take 4 plus my Vitamins. No more diabetes which is a HUGE WIN for me. This WLS rates up there with my marriage of 43 years and the birth of my 2 children who are grown and have given us 8 beautiful grandchildren!! Life is great!! Which ever surgery you and your Suregon decide on will be good just remember WLS is a tool. You have to do the work. Good Luck and keep us posted.

I had RNY NOV 23, 2016. I was going to have the Sleeve until one month before surgery. I just changed my mind after reading about people having sleeve to RNY revisions and gaining weight back with sleeve ( I know they gain with RNY but not quit as much). Other than the surgery itself life after is pretty much same, same diet, same recovery, pretty much same everything. So I was like if I'm going to have surgery, I'm only going to do it once and go with the gold standard.

I had the same question when i started. Nobody can answer that for you except you.

I had the sleeve in december and i'm glad i did it. I chose the sleeve for myself because it's less risk and permanent.

I will say this, because you don't have as many side effects as bypass, i would only suggest the sleeve if you are mentally strong enough to give up certain foods forever. If you chose the bypass you could possibly end up with dumping syndrome which will prevent you from eating crap. Because nobody wants to go through dumping, but since that doesn't really happen with the sleeve you have to have the will power to walk away from foods that you don't need.

You'll decide what's best for you in time. Ultimately you will lose about the same amount of weight in the end, regardless of what you choose to have.

Congrats on starting your journey. Best of luck to you. Looking forward to seeing you on the loser's bench.

Dumping doesn't always happen and certainly doesn't always last forever. My sister had RNY and can eat sugar easily (which has resulted in her never hitting goal and gaining 50 lbs but she's still lower and maintaining that). There is no guarantee.
I chose the sleeve because I had no GERD and wasn't on medication for diabetes and wanted to have absorption of nutrients. Both are good surgeries imo.

Sleeve to rny here bc I suffered bad gerd n several hiatel hernias since I got sleeved in 2011. I only lost 50 pounds with it originally also and that took year. I'm down 25 since may 1 so fingers crossed rny has better results. Research both options, attend meetings and ask questions...educate yourself on both n do the one u want and the one recommended by an excellent surgeon. This is your life so do for you!!!! Good luck