Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

AND THE INNER PANIC SETS IN.... LOWER BMI PEOPLE??

I AM SCHEDULED FOR MY GASTRIC SLEEVE ON JULY 8TH IN Tijuana, MEXICO WITH DR. GUTIERREZ AT MI DOCTOR HOSPITAL...

WITH A LITTLE OVER A MONTH TO GO, I AM STARTING TO HAVE SECOND THOUGHTS..

I AM 5'9, WITH A BMI OF ABOUT 31-32. IT IS A LOWER BMI, BUT STILL OBESE ACCORDING TO STANDARDS. I HAVE HAD SO MANY PEOPLE TELL ME THAT I AM CRAZY AND "DO NOT NEED IT"... IVE HAD THOSE TELL ME THAT IM JUST THICK OR "BIG BONED" (THATS CRAP, WE ALL KNOW IT.. OUR BONES ARE ALL THE SAME) AND THAT I JUST NEED TO WATCH WHAT I EAT. WELL, I HAVE. IVE SPENT YEARS BEING "BIGGER" (THE FAT GIRL), AND WHILE ATHLETIC AND MUSCULAR, COULD NOT GET THE EXTRA WEIGHT OFF. I'VE TRIED CLEAN EATING, supplements (HEALTHY AND NOT), AND ENDLESS HOURS AT THE GYM. MY BODY WOULD GET TO A CERTAIN WEIGHT AND STOP. NOT JUST A MONTH LONG PLATEAU.. 1 YEAR OF MAINTAINING THE SAME REGIMEN, AND NO CHANGE. FRUSTRATED, TIRED, AND OVER IT, BINGE EATING WOULD COME AND GO.

SHOULD I BE ASHAMED TO BE GETTING THIS SURGERY JUST BECAUSE IM "NOT FAT ENOUGH", BUT STILL FAT? MAYBE IM TRYING TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE BEFORE IT GETS WORSE? IM SURE THERE ARE THOSE OF YOU OUT THERE THAT UNDERSTAND THAT NO AMOUNT OF "YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL'S" IS GOING TO CHANGE GENUINE UNHAPPINESS WITH YOUR OWN BODY. AND LET ME CLARIFY.. I DONT WANT TO BE SKINNY.. I WANT TO BE FIT. IVE SPENT YEARS BUILDING AMAZING MUSCLE TONE THAT IS OVER SHADOWED BY RELENTLESS FAT STORAGE THAT I CANNOT GET RID OF. RUNNING HAS BECOME A HARDSHIP ON MY KNEES BECAUSE OF EXCESS WEIGHT, AND BACK ISSUES TO FOLLOW. IVE NEVER BEEN ONE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THOSE THINGS, BUT IT IS PAINFUL. I WILL BE 28 YEARS OLD JULY 14TH, HAVE NO KIDS, AND AM PLANNING A WEDDING FOR NEXT YEAR TO THE MOST AMAZING MAN IN THE WORLD. (HE ALSO SAYS HE LOVES ME EXACTLY THE WAY I AM BUT WANTS ME TO BE HAPPY AND SUPPORTS MY DECISION TO DO THIS). I WANT TO FIND MYSELF, THE ABSOLUTE BEST ME, BEFORE MY LIFE REALLY GETS STARTED.
I AM EXCITED, SCARED, NERVOUS, AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN. MEXICO?? WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY?? IS THIS REALLY A GOOD IDEA??

ANYONE ELSE STRUGGLED WITH THESE THOUGHTS? SUCCESS STORIES OF LOWER BMI??

HELP!

I am in the same boat as you! Plication surgery in TJ set for June 16th. 5'8", 252 lbs, BMI of 35 or so but my weight fluctuates a lot. Body comp wise a lot of muscle but also a lot of fat. Never grew up as the big guy but life circumstances morphed my body. Lots of people doubting my decision from employer to parents and everyone in between. My only solace is that body image and mental resolve aside this is a good investment - future health is going to improve and my risk of developing the same family diseases (high BP, cholesterol, diabetes) will be drastically lower. I'll get rid of my sleep apnea and of course gain all the mental and physical benefits. Two weeks to go and I am hoping for the best. But I totally feel your concerns and I can relate.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

This is a super personal journey. Only you know what is right for you. I had my VSG in Tijuana in January. I am 5'9" and have had good success losing weight many times in my life with healthy habits, but I have never maintained a stable weight. I've always been either gaining or losing. My high was 237. I had lost down to 151, then gradually gained it back. When I got to 200, I decided I wasn't going back up again and scheduled surgery.

Don't do this because you want a magic answer. You still have to do all the work--exercise and healthy food are critical for success. The biggest criticism is people not losing as fast as they thought they would.

I am delighted with my results. I have been very health-focused. Daily exercise, I drink only Water, eat delicious lean Protein, veggies, fruit and whole grains. In just over 4 months I've lost 50 pounds of fat. I feel great, enjoy food and eating, and have a great supportive network of others who had surgery in January.

I am now a normal BMI, I look great and I could call it done. I am enjoying getting really healthy, so I'll lose a bit more weight while focusing on strength training.

I think they should lower the threshold to people anywhere in the Obese and up category who have had repeated challenges losing or maintaining.

If you have hormonal or other issues making it hard to lose weight they will still be an issue. Addressing that can be very helpful. And it's smart to get counseling for food issues. Surgery doesn't cure those. I've found it much easier to manage.

Take time to create a reasons why, reasons why not list. Will you be ok eating differently from others around you? This is 100% on you, and there are plenty of sacrifices. Truth is, we could just behave as if we'd had the surgery, but we don't.

Good luck with your decision.

2 minutes ago, BillyBoy said:

I am in the same boat as you! Plication surgery in TJ set for June 16th. 5'8", 252 lbs, BMI of 35 or so but my weight fluctuates a lot. Body comp wise a lot of muscle but also a lot of fat. Never grew up as the big guy but life circumstances morphed my body. Lots of people doubting my decision from employer to parents and everyone in between. My only solace is that body image and mental resolve aside this is a good investment - future health is going to improve and my risk of developing the same family diseases (high BP, cholesterol, diabetes) will be drastically lower. I'll get rid of my sleep apnea and of course gain all the mental and physical benefits. Two weeks to go and I am hoping for the best. But I totally feel your concerns and I can relate.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you! Regardless of what others see of me, I dont feel that I should have to settle with being unhappy with my size after ive exhausted all other efforts. It is absolutely frustrating and disheartening to work so hard to see the results of the gym (and by results, I mean definition), and you only see bloat because you cant get rid of the excess.. I am more excited about seeing muscle definition that I am to see just tons of pounds shed off. Nerves all over the place!

3 minutes ago, JKC2016 said:

This is a super personal journey. Only you know what is right for you. I had my VSG in Tijuana in January. I am 5'9" and have had good success losing weight many times in my life with healthy habits, but I have never maintained a stable weight. I've always been either gaining or losing. My high was 237. I had lost down to 151, then gradually gained it back. When I got to 200, I decided I wasn't going back up again and scheduled surgery.

Don't do this because you want a magic answer. You still have to do all the work--exercise and healthy food are critical for success. The biggest criticism is people not losing as fast as they thought they would.

I am delighted with my results. I have been very health-focused. Daily exercise, I drink only Water, eat delicious lean Protein, veggies, fruit and whole grains. In just over 4 months I've lost 50 pounds of fat. I feel great, enjoy food and eating, and have a great supportive network of others who had surgery in January.

I am now a normal BMI, I look great and I could call it done. I am enjoying getting really healthy, so I'll lose a bit more weight while focusing on strength training.

I think they should lower the threshold to people anywhere in the Obese and up category who have had repeated challenges losing or maintaining.

If you have hormonal or other issues making it hard to lose weight they will still be an issue. Addressing that can be very helpful. And it's smart to get counseling for food issues. Surgery doesn't cure those. I've found it much easier to manage.

Take time to create a reasons why, reasons why not list. Will you be ok eating differently from others around you? This is 100% on you, and there are plenty of sacrifices. Truth is, we could just behave as if we'd had the surgery, but we don't.

Good luck with your decision.

I am not taking this route because I see it as a magic fix. Nothing, whether surgery, exercise, or diet is easy. My biggest issue has been Portion Control. I grew up in a family that we were to eat everything on our plate, so I haven't had a concept of when I am full. I would eat less or very little for weeks, feel deprived, and binge because I was so hungry. I have looked into and researched this surgery for some time to help with that. I drink tons of Water, exercise, and have no problem cutting my diet. I have no co-morbidities and am otherwise healthy. I am aware that this will not be easy, but i do not feel that It shouldnt be an option for those of us with lower BMI that are still above the threshold.

I am 5'4 and 212 when I had my surgery. I think my BMI was 36... anyway I got lots of the same- of you shouldn't do it- not big enough etc--- when my dr said- I think that's a great idea ( to do the sleeve) that's what pushed me. I am now down to 152 and still need to lose a little more- wouldn't change it for anything- my obsession with food is gone. That is the nicest part. It just doesn't control me anymore

I actually had a nurse practitioner in pre-surgical testing before my surgery ask me why I was having it because I had no comorbidities!!! She had to be blind because although I had no co-morbidities my BMI was about 45 at that time... I was flabbergasted

3 minutes ago, rainyann said:

I actually had a nurse practitioner in pre-surgical testing before my surgery ask me why I was having it because I had no comorbidities!!! She had to be blind because although I had no co-morbidities my BMI was about 45 at that time... I was flabbergasted

That's crazy! You would think they would encourage it before the co-m. arise. I may not have them now, but i dont want to wait until i do.

1 hour ago, tenseintexas said:

I am 5'4 and 212 when I had my surgery. I think my BMI was 36... anyway I got lots of the same- of you shouldn't do it- not big enough etc--- when my dr said- I think that's a great idea ( to do the sleeve) that's what pushed me. I am now down to 152 and still need to lose a little more- wouldn't change it for anything- my obsession with food is gone. That is the nicest part. It just doesn't control me anymore

That is great! Im ready to win the food battle too!

Not saying you shouldn't get the surgery, but...

A common story here is when people get to goal, then have a pregnancy, resulting in significant regain.

It's a no-brainer to accept the risk when obesity has rendered the woman infertile.

In your case, I think you are jumping the gun. I was in your shoes back in the day. Was always heavy, finally got to a normal bmi through intense diet/exercise, then here comes the babies and 150lbs!

I had the surgery after completing my family, and am so glad I did. Surgery is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I won't have a pregnancy undo all that work. (Tubes tied).

Make a 5 year plan. Get the pregnancy(s) out of the way, then get your little tummy.

Reread, and you didn't mention kids.. guess I made an assumption.. sorry if it was off base..

45 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

Reread, and you didn't mention kids.. guess I made an assumption.. sorry if it was off base..

Im not sure that i can even have them, and am not sure at this point that i want them. I have 2 stepchildren and that will be enough unless God decides otherwise.

2 hours ago, rainyann said:

A lot of people think you should wait to have surgery when you are at deaths door. It is so much better to step up and have surgery before you damage your body.

Some bodies recover and repair (mine has) but some people never repair the damage done from being heavy.

Before I had surgery and maybe even the whole first year after surgery, I didn't feel like people with low BMIs should have surgery. Mainly because a lot seem to have eating disorders and the sleeve is a person with anorexia dream.

My opinion on that has changed drastically. I think if people have struggled with their weight for a long period of time, having surgery so they don't continue to yo-yo, is a good idea. Eventually down the road they will stop yo-yoing and just ge stuck at a high weight.

22 minutes ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

I think if people have struggled with their weight for a long period of time, having surgery so they don't continue to yo-yo, is a good idea. Eventually down the road they will stop yo-yoing and just ge stuck at a high weight.

Yep. My weight has yo-yo'ed up and down since my mid-teens. At age 15 I lost 30+ pounds during a summer-long low-calorie diet, going from 155 to 125. I regained all the weight plus more in a couple of years.

At age 20 I weighed 176 pounds and stood 5'1 short. I lost 60 pounds on a very low-calorie diet plus exercise and weighed in at 116 pounds. I regained it all plus more, and by age 24 weighed 205 pounds.

At age 26 I weighed 216 pounds. I lost 55 pounds through diet and exercise, but regained most of it.

At age 29 I weighed 203 pounds. I lost 25 pounds through diet and exercise, but regained most of it.

On my 32nd birthday I weighed 180 pounds. I was asked to be a bridesmaid for an upcoming wedding, so I lost 52 pounds through diet and exercise, weighing in at 128 pounds on the wedding day. I regained it all (plus more) within a year.

By my 34th birthday I weighed 225, my heaviest weight ever. I had weight loss surgery two months after my 34th birthday. Bariatric surgery is no guarantee of anything, but this is the first time in my life that I've been weight-stable and not so fixated on food.

So when people say, "You can lose the weight without surgery," I agree. In fact, I've lost 200+ pounds over the past couple of decades. Losing weight was not my issue...keeping it off was problematic. Bariatric surgery has offered the last glimmer of hope for keeping the weight off. However, my struggle will be lifelong.

6 hours ago, Pistol_Annie said:

I AM SCHEDULED FOR MY GASTRIC SLEEVE ON JULY 8TH IN Tijuana, Mexico WITH DR. GUTIERREZ AT MI DOCTOR HOSPITAL...

WITH A LITTLE OVER A MONTH TO GO, I AM STARTING TO HAVE SECOND THOUGHTS..

I AM 5'9, WITH A BMI OF ABOUT 31-32. IT IS A LOWER BMI, BUT STILL OBESE ACCORDING TO STANDARDS. I HAVE HAD SO MANY PEOPLE TELL ME THAT I AM CRAZY AND "DO NOT NEED IT"... IVE HAD THOSE TELL ME THAT IM JUST THICK OR "BIG BONED" (THATS CRAP, WE ALL KNOW IT.. OUR BONES ARE ALL THE SAME) AND THAT I JUST NEED TO WATCH WHAT I EAT. WELL, I HAVE. IVE SPENT YEARS BEING "BIGGER" (THE FAT GIRL), AND WHILE ATHLETIC AND MUSCULAR, COULD NOT GET THE EXTRA WEIGHT OFF. I'VE TRIED CLEAN EATING, supplements (HEALTHY AND NOT), AND ENDLESS HOURS AT THE GYM. MY BODY WOULD GET TO A CERTAIN WEIGHT AND STOP. NOT JUST A MONTH LONG PLATEAU.. 1 YEAR OF MAINTAINING THE SAME REGIMEN, AND NO CHANGE. FRUSTRATED, TIRED, AND OVER IT, BINGE EATING WOULD COME AND GO.

SHOULD I BE ASHAMED TO BE GETTING THIS SURGERY JUST BECAUSE IM "NOT FAT ENOUGH", BUT STILL FAT? MAYBE IM TRYING TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE BEFORE IT GETS WORSE? IM SURE THERE ARE THOSE OF YOU OUT THERE THAT UNDERSTAND THAT NO AMOUNT OF "YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL'S" IS GOING TO CHANGE GENUINE UNHAPPINESS WITH YOUR OWN BODY. AND LET ME CLARIFY.. I DONT WANT TO BE SKINNY.. I WANT TO BE FIT. IVE SPENT YEARS BUILDING AMAZING MUSCLE TONE THAT IS OVER SHADOWED BY RELENTLESS FAT STORAGE THAT I CANNOT GET RID OF. RUNNING HAS BECOME A HARDSHIP ON MY KNEES BECAUSE OF EXCESS WEIGHT, AND BACK ISSUES TO FOLLOW. IVE NEVER BEEN ONE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THOSE THINGS, BUT IT IS PAINFUL. I WILL BE 28 YEARS OLD JULY 14TH, HAVE NO KIDS, AND AM PLANNING A WEDDING FOR NEXT YEAR TO THE MOST AMAZING MAN IN THE WORLD. (HE ALSO SAYS HE LOVES ME EXACTLY THE WAY I AM BUT WANTS ME TO BE HAPPY AND SUPPORTS MY DECISION TO DO THIS). I WANT TO FIND MYSELF, THE ABSOLUTE BEST ME, BEFORE MY LIFE REALLY GETS STARTED.
I AM EXCITED, SCARED, NERVOUS, AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN. MEXICO?? WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY?? IS THIS REALLY A GOOD IDEA??

ANYONE ELSE STRUGGLED WITH THESE THOUGHTS? SUCCESS STORIES OF LOWER BMI??

HELP!

I think you should TOTALLY do it and the people with their comments can go fly a kite. It's your life and you've had to live with your feeling of being big for the whole time. who are they to say what is right for you!?

AND FURTHERMORE (since I am on my soapbox), I WISH WISH WISH WISH that I would have had surgery sooner when my BMI was lower and it would have been that much easier to get down to a healthy weight. Why would you wait until you got heavier>?! do it now but know as everyone says, you still have lots of effort ahead of you.

good luck!