Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you HAVE to follow a low carb diet?

9 hours ago, Travelher said:

Have never seen a regain post due to someone's blueberry addiction....

Mmmm... blueberries....

2 hours ago, GrrlAnn said:

Thank you! This is very helpful!

I think this is where I need to make the change. When my doctor gave me the 120g of carbs guideline it included "whole grain" crackers and bread, potatoes, oatmeal, etc. I will see if I can hit the carb goal using mostly veggies and legumes.

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app

Whole grains like quinoa, amaranth, chia, flax, lentils, and millet are actually great for you too. Some have a good amount of Protein as well. Just an fyi....

I also have to add for anyone who says they crave more carbs after eating them...it must be the simple ones you're eating. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone eating lentil Soup or a good bowl of whole grains oatmeal and wanting more 30 mins later. I'm eating oatmeal that has a load of grains in it now, and definitely won't be hungry anytime soon! Complex carbs don't break down as fast in your system as simple ones do, this is why they're healthy for you. You can stay fuller longer due to the breakdown process, fibers, and Proteins in them.

Whether you want to eat them or not, that's your choice. I'm not trying to get anyone to move over to the "carb" side, if that's not what you want. I just want folks to be more educated about them. I don't want the complex carbs to be "BAD" to anyone who is ignorant of the facts.

Edited by Newme17

Whole grains like quinoa, amaranth, chia, flax, lentils, and millet are actually great for you too. Some have a good amount of Protein as well. Just an fyi....
I also have to add for anyone who says they crave more carbs after eating them...it must be the simple ones you're eating. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone eating lentil Soup or a good bowl of whole grains oatmeal and wanting more 30 mins later. I'm eating oatmeal that has a load of grains in it now, and definitely won't be hungry anytime soon! Complex carbs don't break down as fast in your system as simple ones do, this is why they're healthy for you. You can stay fuller longer due to the breakdown process, fibers, and Proteins in them.
Whether you want to eat them or not, that's your choice. I'm not trying to get anyone to move over to the "carb" side, if that's not what you want. I just want folks to be more educated about them. I don't want the complex carbs to be "BAD" to anyone who is ignorant of the facts.

Great info!

Ok had to stop eating plain bread and rolls during pre op. I remember as a child taking a piece of bread and just smelling it like it was heaven. I could eat just rolls on thanksgiving and be happy. I'm on full liquids now but prior to surgery when I would switch to whole grain bread and maybe have 1 slice with Breakfast, I always felt less bloated and it seemed the weight came off easier. Mashed potatoes are another one I plan on avoiding for awhile at least. I could live on then and realize that it will be too tempting for me right away. I'm trying to find healthy recipes on Pinterest so I can help my family eat healthier as well. It's hard especially when it hurts to drink and my husband is on the other couch crunching on potato chips that he "bought for his lunch for next week". But I decided to commit to this change and am determined to do my best. Any suggestions for finding good recipes?

Sent from my SM-N920T using BariatricPal mobile app

Nope. I'm not really being guided by my surgeon or a NUT since I'm getting my surgery out of the country. But from the support groups I'm on, and the recipes page, everyone seems to be following a Keto diet. (Low carb, high fat, high protein) So many recipes include cheese, butter, etc. Everything is ok in moderation, but eating "sandwiches" where your bread is replace by cheese constantly just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I love healthy fats (avocado, nuts, etc) but too much fat like butter and cheese scare me :x

I had surgery out of the country and had and still have the same NUT from Mexico, who will answer any questions I may have even now. I'm not sure where you are going for your surgery, but you should have a NUT and still be able to get in touch with your surgeon whenever you have a question or concern.

The ideal diet for WLS surgery patients is simple. 64-100 grams Protein a day, depending on your needs. 64-120 oz [mention=255522]her1981[/mention]just emphasized as I was typing this up.
The only reason during weight loss to up their caloric intake, and carbs, is if they're body building or doing significant exercise. For the vast majority of people on sites like this who are sedentary or low active, carb intake is proportionate to chances of failure.

Everyone is different. I eat at least 100 grams of protein a day and 126 oz of fluids daily. So you can't really say that the ideal diet for WLS surgery patients is what you described. That's why working with your NUT and figuring out what works and what doesn't work is important to individual success.

Low carb isn't Keto and keto isn't low carb. People keep mixing up the terms and they are not the same thing.
A post-op diet is low carb, not keto.
Almost all bariatric diets post-op are low carb and low fat (which is kind of impossible).
The reason so many people fail at Keto is because they don't understand what it is or how it works. You have to set your macros and control the ratios carefully. If you aren't you are just low carbing, which is fine, but it isn't Keto.
Unless you are vegetarian/vegan, you are going to low carb for the rest of your life anyway if you are eating properly in the right order.
If you have plate of food, you are supposed to eat your Protein FIRST. First means ALONE not alternating bites with other foods, FIRST. If you have your proper portion of protein 3-4 ounces, and you finish that, THEN eat your veggies/carbs, you will be lucky to get an ounce of those items in. The protein is going to make you full by eating it first.
People don't follow these directions, they eat alternating bites. They don't measure and weigh their portions. If you eat your veggies alternating bites with your protein, you can eat a lot more food, and you won't feel as full and you will not get all your protein in.
This is why I eat my veggies separate at Snacks so I can get enough veggies in while meeting my protein goals. If I didn't eat my veggies separate, I would never eat any, because 3 to 4 ounces of protein fills me up. On a typical day I eat 4 cups of spinach. That is pretty much the sum of my carbs, and it is barely 4 carbs, the rest of my carbs are from half and half. If I have broccoli instead I might hit 6 carbs in broccoli and even that is a stretch because broccoli is more filling and I can't eat as much of it as I can of spinach. If you are eating protein and green veggies, it is basically impossible not to low carb.

Low carb and low fat is not impossible at all. It's very doable. You simply have to watch what you're eating.

23 months.
I know lots of people that eat more carbs than me and are successful long term.
The thing is I don't actually like carbs, so I don't eat them. I eat the things I like.
I hate rice, I hate Beans, I don't like Pasta unless it is freshly made and then only one kind, and only like fresh baked (rye and pumpernickel) bread. and croissants. Crackers just make no logical sense to me what so ever. I think I have eaten crackers less than 5 times in my entire life and I am just making that number up because I can't even recall eating them.
The issue with carbs post-op from WLS is carbs are EASY to eat. They go down very easy because they don't trigger restriction and you can eat them in massive (normal sized and binge size) quantities. So a lot of people that are food addicts go right back to carbs as soon as they get a chance. Then once they start, they can't seem to stop.
My choice to limit and not introduce carbs came from not only just not liking them but from years and years of reading stories on WLS forums of people that regained. There was always one common denominator, carbs. Complex or otherwise. Complex seem to be a gateway to not so complex.

Well said, Outside!

Intense exercises justify the increased calories, and getting more of that from (complex) carbs if need be. Carbs represent more immediately available energy, which is important if doing that kind of exercise.

Actually, my NUT told me to up my Protein and fluids when I upped my exercise. Protein is better used by muscles than carbs, complex or not. And muscles need fluids to develop correctly. I use my elliptical five days a week and weight train two days a week. My protein intake is at least 100 grams and my fluids are at least 126 oz. My carbs are between 35 and 40 grams a day. And it works for me. You do not have to increase your carbs or your calories just because you work out. I'm almost 6 months out and still get in between 646 and 800 calories a day. I tried to eat more but it cause my weight loss to slow, and it was hard to do that everyday.

Everyone is different. I eat at least 100 grams of Protein a day and 126 oz of fluids daily. So you can't really say that the ideal diet for WLS surgery patients is what you described. That's why working with your NUT and figuring out what works and what doesn't work is important to individual success.

I said depending on their needs. I'm sure some people need more than the perimeters I laid out but I think the average person falls within the numbers I suggested. I keep my Water intake to half my body weight in ounces and thankfully that number is less than 100.

I find that eating a simple carb is triggering for me. That's why i choose not to touch them. I find eating complex carba also tritriggering. At my age, 6 years after vsg, i am gaining & miserable but with arthritic pain, not able to throw myself into the exercise as before. Someone suggested a different diet that puts Protein last but leafy greens and complex,carbs (veg and fruit) first. It made me ravenously hungry. Did not want to stop eating berries. So....

I had surgery out of the country and had and still have the same NUT from Mexico, who will answer any questions I may have even now. I'm not sure where you are going for your surgery, but you should have a NUT and still be able to get in touch with your surgeon whenever you have a question or concern.

I'm having my surgery done in Colombia and it's
not like a "medical travel" type thing where they offer those packages. Colombia is my
home country so its different.

I'm having my surgery done in Colombia and it's
not like a "medical travel" type thing where they offer those packages. Colombia is my
home country so its different.

However he does answer his emails and calls super quick. But I'd be calling him all too
much ahha

Actually, my NUT told me to up my Protein and fluids when I upped my exercise. Protein is better used by muscles than carbs, complex or not. And muscles need fluids to develop correctly. I use my elliptical five days a week and weight train two days a week. My protein intake is at least 100 grams and my fluids are at least 126 oz. My carbs are between 35 and 40 grams a day. And it works for me. You do not have to increase your carbs or your calories just because you work out. I'm almost 6 months out and still get in between 646 and 800 calories a day. I tried to eat more but it cause my weight loss to slow, and it was hard to do that everyday.

I'm not your typical patient, as my doctor has described. I used to lift 5x a week. My protein was super high, but it just made me bulky. Now that I've ate less protein, I've slimmed down some. I want to lose weight and then build muscle (w high protein) Protein and carbs are actually needed for your muscles to recover. I've worked w nutritionists before deciding to have this surgery. I forget how
many carbs I was allowed on high carb days but definitely more than 50 and like I said, it didn't work for me. My body is the type to put on muscle FAST!

12 hours ago, slimmingsteff said:

I'm not your typical patient, as my doctor has described. I used to lift 5x a week. My Protein was super high, but it just made me bulky. Now that I've ate less protein, I've slimmed down some. I want to lose weight and then build muscle (w high protein) Protein and carbs are actually needed for your muscles to recover. I've worked w nutritionists before deciding to have this surgery. I forget how
many carbs I was allowed on high carb days but definitely more than 50 and like I said, it didn't work for me. My body is the type to put on muscle FAST!

I put muscle on fast too, and used to lift heavy as well. Now that I'm back at the gym, I will be lifting twice a week starting out, since I've been away too long from an injury and wls. My doc recommends 60-80g protein, so I'll stick to this, the 60 at minimum.

Speaking of, do you find most people would guess you weigh less than what you really do, given that you have muscle? A friend of mine couldn't believe I'm 230 lbs. She thought I was 180'ish. Even the past, when I was 150, it was always guessed about 120. It's the way I carry my weight, great muscle. :) Give my credit to my dad's side of the family. lol

Edited by Newme17