Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you HAVE to follow a low carb diet?

4 hours ago, Newme17 said:

I understand this is probably the most general rule for most, but not how my doc and nut prescribes when eating a meal. Two bites of Protein then one bite of veggie/complex carb. They want more nutritional value then just Protein in the body, if you end up getting full off of protein first.

Given that you eat your veggies at a different time, is great. You're still getting it in. But for most, a meal consists of the protein/veggie/complex carb.

Everyone has different instructions. Those were my instructions and most instructions are written like that. I also feel like that is an easy way to be successful. WLS is an amazing tool to lose weight, and it seems like a lot of people are hell bent against using the tool to the best of its ability.

Also for me, this is basically how I grew up eating. I forgot about it and didn't think much about it until Post-op for surgery. I grew up in a family of thin athletic people, even into old age. Which also reinforces to me this is the correct manner in which to eat. Additionally, a lot of my family is Native American, straight on the Reservation, and we value the sacrifice that animals make to provide us nourishment, so it makes sense to eat protein first. I spent a lot of time with depression era Grandparents who saw meat as a luxury and a blessing not something to be wasted.

People can eat however they want and do whatever they want. There seems to be some habits that long term successful impose. No one has to follow them or even care. I took notes and decided to go the easy route. I didn't spend tens of thousands of dollar and get chopped and screwed to fail. I follow best practices in IT, I will follow them in my post-op life too.

4 hours ago, blizair09 said:

How many people have been successful post-op (loss and maintenance) in the pro-carb camp? I don't intend this question to start up something or to criticize anyone's belief; I'm just curious. Over the time I have been on this forum (since last summer), there have been some pro-carb people here and there, but I can't ever remember anyone talking about long-term success with that strategy. There very well may be some folks who have had success with this approach, but I don't remember them.

So -- if you are pro-carb and have had long-term and sustained success, speak up. I'd like to hear some anecdotal evidence to support that approach.

They never show up until they have regained 75% of their weight. Every flipping time.

The one vegetarian that used to post here that was sleeved around the time I was never got goal or anywhere remotely close. I don't think they ever even lost 50% of excess weight.

Prove us wrong carb people, prove us wrong. I'm rooting for for you.

I understand this is probably the most general rule for most, but not how my doc and nut prescribes when eating a meal. Two bites of Protein then one bite of veggie/complex carb. They want more nutritional value then just protein in the body, if you end up getting full off of protein first.
Given that you eat your veggies at a different time, is great. You're still getting it in. But for most, a meal consists of the protein/veggie/complex carb.

If you can get all your protein in AND lose weight doing it this way then I don't see the issue. I can't see me being able to eat all my protein (at least early out) let alone add a starch. All that's been drilled into me is protein first.
I hope later on to be able to eat some veggies with my protein.

How many people have been successful post-op (loss and maintenance) in the pro-carb camp? I don't intend this question to start up something or to criticize anyone's belief; I'm just curious. Over the time I have been on this forum (since last summer), there have been some pro-carb people here and there, but I can't ever remember anyone talking about long-term success with that strategy. There very well may be some folks who have had success with this approach, but I don't remember them.
So -- if you are pro-carb and have had long-term and sustained success, speak up. I'd like to hear some anecdotal evidence to support that approach.

I'm over 260 pounds down. I don't know that I would say pro carb, but rather I don't worry about them. I'm one year out from my surgery. My surgeon told me to drink two Protein Shakes a day and small piece of meat a day. Just not going to do that the rest of my life.

2 hours ago, GrrlAnn said:

After being stalled for weeks my nutritionist upped my carbs to 120g of carbs a day in addition to 100g Protein while staying under 1500 calories. It's not easy and I frankly don't like it. She said I need the carbs because I do 5 intense 45 minute Bootcamp workouts a week.

I am very, very tempted to forgo her advice and go low carb since it has worked so well for me in the past. It also seems like most bariatric nutritionists recommend low carb to their patients.

Has anyone else gotten similar nutrition advice (high Protein, low fat, moderate carbs)?

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app

Intense exercises justify the increased calories, and getting more of that from (complex) carbs if need be. Carbs represent more immediately available energy, which is important if doing that kind of exercise.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

I find carbs leave me hungry. You don't have to follow a low carb diet, but it may prove easier. I eat carbs, but I eat way more Protein.< br>

8 hours ago, blizair09 said:

Dr Weiner has thousands. My doctor has thousands, most of us got fat on processed high fat/high sugar or simple carbs. None of us got fat on fruits and vegetables and legumes. Have never seen a regain post due to someone's blueberry addiction....never. Not one. It is usually processed crap.

what is interesting about my doctors long term stats are his nutritional deficiencies in his patients: for rny are 2%, sleeve are 1%. I wonder how that stacks up against the super restrictive diet docs?

Edited by Travelher

5 hours ago, GrrlAnn said:

After being stalled for weeks my nutritionist upped my carbs to 120g of carbs a day in addition to 100g Protein while staying under 1500 calories. It's not easy and I frankly don't like it. She said I need the carbs because I do 5 intense 45 minute Bootcamp workouts a week.

I am very, very tempted to forgo her advice and go low carb since it has worked so well for me in the past. It also seems like most bariatric nutritionists recommend low carb to their patients.

Has anyone else gotten similar nutrition advice (high Protein, low fat, moderate carbs)?

Yep, i follow 35%carb, 25%fat 40% protein. Lost weight faster than I was losing on low carb. I only eat high nutrient and high Fiber carbs like fruits veggies legumes and seeds.

Edited by Travelher

Dr Weiner's plan, with that level of veggies, you wouldn't regain. I don't eat that much in veggies just because I don't have the time, but I seriously ate a pound of veggies a day, it would be impossible to regain. If I get bored this summer I might try it for a week. At 2 years out I could definitely do it and get my Protein in, but I would just have to eat in a 12 hour window instead of my usual 8.

When I read a pound of cure I knew it was pretty much impossible for me to follow his plan because I would be miserable(i'll starve before I eat beans), but I did what he suggested and incorporated some other things.

I wish more people would think of veggies and salads as Snacks. You get to eat a ton of volume for basically no calories.

My issue is when people say complex carbs, and are vague AF about it, that usually means junk science "healthy" carbs. Not vegetables and legumes.

@Travelher You are also a RNY patient. You have malabsoprtion on your side and sleevers don't, being less than a year out, your malaborption is still in full tilt. If you can eat carbs like that when you are over 18 months out and still lose, I would love to see it. We have to be stricter with out nutrition, because while we have restriction, we have an otherwise normal anatomy. Also the technical part of our surgery that helps us, which is the valve we have at the bottom of our stomach, is something RNY patients don't have. That valve is why eating dense protein is more productive for us, and works with our tool instead of against it. Also no offense to Dr Weiner because I like him and I think he has a lot to offer people but he looks haggard and so do most of his patients. My Dr eats Paleo and looks a lot better, he has about 2x the muscle mass Dr Weiner has.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

7 minutes ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

My issue is when people say complex carbs, and are vague AF about it, that usually means junk science "healthy" carbs. Not vegetables and legumes.

I didn't think of anything other than veggies, legumes, and fruit being complex. Is there some other kind? Never heard of junk science healthy carbs.

22 minutes ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

Dr Weiner's plan, with that level of veggies, you wouldn't regain. I don't eat that much in veggies just because I don't have the time, but I seriously ate a pound of veggies a day, it would be impossible to regain. If I get bored this summer I might try it for a week. At 2 years out I could definitely do it and get my Protein in, but I would just have to eat in a 12 hour window instead of my usual 8.

When I read a pound of cure I knew it was pretty much impossible for me to follow his plan because I would be miserable(i'll starve before I eat beans), but I did what he suggested and incorporated some other things.

I wish more people would think of veggies and salads as Snacks. You get to eat a ton of volume for basically no calories.

@Travelher You are also a RNY patient. You have malabsoprtion on your side and sleevers don't, being less than a year out, your malaborption is still in full tilt. If you can eat carbs like that when you are over 18 months out and still lose, I would love to see it. We have to be stricter with out nutrition, because while we have restriction, we have an otherwise normal anatomy. Also the technical part of our surgery that helps us, which is the valve we have at the bottom of our stomach, is something RNY patients don't have. That valve is why eating dense Protein is more productive for us, and works with our tool instead of against it. Also no offense to Dr Weiner because I like him and I think he has a lot to offer people but he looks haggard and so do most of his patients. My Dr eats Paleo and looks a lot better, he has about 2x the muscle mass Dr Weiner has.

I don't follow dr Weiner's diet. I could never give up meat! Never...lol. I eat 75-100 grams of carb a day. About half of it is fiber. I'd like to see someone try and gain on that.

Im following the balanced macro plan that a nutritionist who is a sleeve patient lost and maintained on, it is similar to what vsgann follows. I'm not a fan of super restrictive plans of any kind. All I do is eat 35% carb, 25% fat and 40% protein. I eat nutrient dense foods only. So my carbs come from fruit, vegetables, seeds, do occassionally legumes. I eat mostly fish for protein mixed in with some chicken. Fat comes from avocado or nuts, salmon. The only processed food I eat is the Protein Shake which I use to make my chia pudding. I actually probably have a diet a lot closer to paleo than pound of cure.

Not a long term weight gain diet imo.

my goal was 170. We'll see if I'm still under it in a couple of years.

Edited by Travelher

2 hours ago, Newme17 said:

I didn't think of anything other than veggies, legumes, and fruit being complex. Is there some other kind? Never heard of junk science healthy carbs.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/imagepages/19529.htm

Complex carbohydrates are found in foods such as peas, Beans, whole grains, and vegetables.

Complex carbohydrate foods provide Vitamins, minerals, and fiber that are important to the health of an individual. The majority of carbohydrates should come from complex carbohydrates (starches) and naturally occurring sugars, rather than processed or refined sugars, which do not have the vitamins, minerals, and fiber found in complex and natural carbohydrates.

How this is relevant to many of us, especially those of us who are diabetic, is complex carbs, entering the bloodstream slower, tend to be better on the glycemic index, and have more nutrients. If one is going to have carbs, these are the ones to have as priority.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

Thank you! This is very helpful!

I think this is where I need to make the change. When my doctor gave me the 120g of carbs guideline it included "whole grain" crackers and bread, potatoes, oatmeal, etc. I will see if I can hit the carb goal using mostly veggies and legumes.

Thank you! This is very helpful!

I think this is where I need to make the change. When my doctor gave me the 120g of carbs guideline it included "whole grain" crackers and bread, potatoes, oatmeal, etc. I will see if I can hit the carb goal using mostly veggies and legumes.

Whole grain IS a complex carb. Oatmeal is probably one of the best complex carbs, full of fiber and starches. There's a reason every body builder raves about oatmeal, even females who cut their carbs down and calorie intake. Sweet potato is another amazing complex carb. Brown rice is another one. I guess people just gotta learn HOW to eat those foods. IMG_7395.JPG IMG_7395.JPG

This thread has been very educational for someone like me who is trying to figure out the best diet moving forward. I still check my bs at least twice a day and my numbers have been good. I haven't had a bs over 110 even 1 hour post meal so my numbers have been level with far fewer spikes. My fasting bs has been in the 80's. I am going to use this as my guide in adding complex carbs as I go along. Right now at about 3 weeks post-op I am usually pretty full after eating my Protein, but I have been eating a few bites of veggies with my dinner each day.

I envy those of you that don't have to consider the effects your carb consumption will have on your diabetes. Maybe my diabetes is in remission now and will only get better with time as I lose more weight.