Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheating on pre op liquid diet

I am seriously struggling on my 2 week liquid diet. I am 5 days in and I have cheated everyday but very small. I drink my Protein Shakes Water unsweetened tea broth and Jello. It by the evening I am starving and I have a serious headache.

Has anyone cheated before and was still able to get the surgery done laparoscopic? I seriously need some answers

I can't answer your question but suggest you take in more Protein in the form of meat, ham, pork, beef, etc and this may make your experience more possible. You still have time and I wouldn't want my doctor to stop the surgery before completed. I'm on your same liver reduction 2week diet and it's no fun...you can do it if you've lived overweight for part of your life you are surely strong enough to see this through. I believe in you.

Karen

Drink lots of Water. The headaches can be from toxins that get released as your body uses up fat.
Can you try any Soups other than broth? I found the warm Proteins help. I got some Protein hot cocoa from the BariatricPal Store. You could probably make your own with milk and unsweetened cocoa.
My plan is 3 Protein Shakes and 3 other protein liquids. If I was hungry I would have a 7th serving. I'm also allowed Jello and sugar free popsicles.
It is day 12 for me and it is still effort to stay on the plan.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes i did but my Dr also allowed me to have 1 hard boiled egg and a cheese stick so i would have cheese in the morning and the egg for dinner. I had to call my dr because i did have agull meal on sat and sun and i felt terrible. I asked if we had to reschedule my operation day and he said no but not to havw any solids at all anymore.

I would definitely be honest with your surgeon about what you have eaten, but you'll likely be able to have the surgery.

The bigger issue is that you are going to have to make good decisions regarding food and drink post-op if you want to have long-term success. The sleeve is only as effective as the good decisions you make. I agree that the pre- and post-op liquid diets are among the worst parts of this journey, but they have a purpose, and post-op it is literally a life and death situation.

Good luck!

You need to get advice from your team and not from people on here. Some people do the two week liquid only plan (I did 18 days and yes its a killer) and some just have to fast for 24 hours before the surgery. So you will have a range of answers. You need to be honest with your surgeon, for your safety and listen to what he says. The first 5 days are bad on liquid only however it does get easier after that. Its just being focused and positive. If you tell yourself you can't do it, you probably wont.

Don't forget that the surgery is just a tool to work with, not the answer.

Good luck with everything !!

Kate

That pre-op liquid diet is a killer. It is very very tough, both physically and emotionally. Headaches, hunger, crankiness, crying. Your body will adapt in a few days. and I promise that you won't feel like this once you are post-op. This is just the painful kick start to your journey. Staying positive is really important. Drink a lot of Water to flush the toxins out, and have a lot of broth so that you feel like you sat down to a meal.

Please follow your surgeon's instructions. My surgeon told me after my surgery that he could tell I followed instructions and that his job is so much easier when patients follow the pre-op instructions. (and making our surgeon's job easier means less risks and complications for us). Please think of it this way... these are pre-operative instructions from your surgeon and must be followed to the letter to reduce your risk of complications and improve your surgical outcome. It is not the same as cheating on a diet or ignoring your nutritionist's advice, which will just slow your weight loss.

Hang in there. it won't always be this hard :)

19 hours ago, sleevedqueen said:

I am seriously struggling on my 2 week liquid diet. I am 5 days in and I have cheated everyday but very small. I drink my Protein Shakes Water unsweetened tea broth and Jello. It by the evening I am starving and I have a serious headache.

Has anyone cheated before and was still able to get the surgery done laparoscopic? I seriously need some answers

I wouldn't be cheating on this I've been doing it for three weeks and I'm on my fourth week I haven't deviated once because I never want to do this again. If you are allowed carbs for example 15 grams of carbs Then measure out and use all 15 carbs. I had headaches and I was nauseous and I couldn't even drive because I was in carb withdrawal. I called my nutritionist and he said use all of your carbs. Some places are different but he told me I could blend in fruit as long as I was below my carb count. I'm allowed around 200 cal 15+ grams of Protein I use 30 grams, & 15 g of carbs. I use 2 Scoops of each powder then I use fruit with in the carb range usually a cup and a half to 2 cups and mix it with Water resources ice until I have enough to make two shakes that are 16 to 20 oz smoothies. So for two scoops of each and the fruit in the water or ice you get to full shakes. I drink one and then save one for later.So for two scoops of each and the fruit in the water or ice you get to full shakes. I drink one and then save one for later.

IMG_0961.JPG