Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Every time I'm about to start my period I am so unbelievably hungry. I feel like no matter how much I eat I am still hungry. This is very very hard when I am trying to stay on plan.

Does this happen to any of you? How do you combat the overwhelming hunger?

I try to just keep tracking everything and pick lower calories things to eat but it's so hard when I will eat 3 oz of chicken and be hungry an hour later. ]

I would appreciate any tips!

I understand; this is something I struggle with as well.

Have you visited with your nutritionist about this? Maybe he or she could offer some guidance.

For me, being active and having distractions helps. Going for a walk or the like. I know that's not always feasible, though.

I recently experienced this...because I started my menstrual cycle today. :)

For the past three days I've been ravenously craving different foods, usually unhealthy options. It always happens a few days before the start of my period, so it's hormonal.

I have been able to maintain my weight be giving into the cravings with reasonable limits. I also exercise regularly because I find that moderate to vigorous activity blunts my hunger somewhat.

My cravings during this time of month are usually for salty, fatty Snacks such as chips. I usually eat alternatives such as nuts and pork skins. Pork skins have no carbs and plenty of Protein.

@Ms. Brightside It's so hard! I did put a call into my nutritionist this morning and am just waiting for a call back about something else so I'll ask her about this too.

@Introversion I know! It's so annoying! I have not tried pork skins, maybe I'll look for those. I mostly just crave food in general which is hard. I'm just hungry hungry hungry! I'm trying to just track everything and force myself to stay as close to my calorie goal of 1200 as possible. It's harder on these days than any other though

Like @Introversion mentioned, physical activity tends to blunt hunger for me. In the past, having a evening workout (even if it was just a 30-60 minute walk) really helped to curb evening hunger/snacking.

Hang in there!

Edited by Ms. Brightside

I'll try upping my exercise on these days!

I just indulge myself but with options of things I like. I might add an extra meal. I might eat Quest chips. I might have a Protein Bar.

I have days not just when I am on my period or about to start where I am hungrier than normal.

I did this so I could lose weight without feeling deprived, that was the big lure of WLS to me.

I don't deprive myself, and extra 3 or 4 ounces of meat is not going to throw off my plan.

Yep, my period throws me for a loop every month, even post-surgery.

1. Knowing it's coming helps a lot because I can say "this is just your period" and reason myself out of it sometimes. Not all the time, but sometimes LOL.

2. Plan to satisfy cravings in a way that's still friendly to your post op diet. I like that "snacking chocolate" they sell at costco, dark chocolate with pumpkin seeds. I measure out a portion of that (USING A scale AND PUTTING THE BAG AWAY ONCE I MEASURE, that's the important part haha) and eat it very slowly and let it melt in my mouth and really enjoy every bite. At least with the pumpkin seeds in there I'm getting a little bit of nutrition, vs eating a bag of chips Ahoy LOL.

3. Keep busy. I get those nights where I CANNOT STOP EATING and NOTHING SATISFIES ME and they are the worst. On those nights honestly I try not to give into them at all because once I start I can't stop. I make a mug of tea, then I turn on a videogame so that my mind and hands are both busy. Hard to go down to the pantry repeatedly if I'm playing an online coop game I can't pause. Other people do stuff like knitting or puzzles. Anything that occupies your mind and hands and makes it harder to eat. Or you can just straight up leave the house and go somewhere food isn't accessible.

4. Don't have food in the house that you know you'll abuse. Honestly period cravings are bad, but they've never been bad enough that I've actively left the house to satisfy them. If there's ice cream in the freezer you better believe I'll eat it, but no I will not be driving my bloated self to Dairy Queen for a blizzard, iykwim.

and if it's HUNGER vs "cravings", aka you just need more calories and nutrition, by all means let yourself eat! have an extra meal or healthy snack like @OutsideMatchInsidesaid. There's nothing wrong with eating your 2oz of chicken, finding yourself hungry, so having 2oz of tuna a couple hours later. you just have to understand the difference between period cravings like I have (only junk food will satisfy them, they're for particular unhealthy items) vs. just needing some extra nutrition that day. it is okay to nourish yourself!

The "hunger" you are experiencing may be fatigue. I know I feel exhausted, cranky, crampy. Try getting some extra sleep, taking a bubble bath, and other self care.

@OutsideMatchInsideThat's true. I did this also so I wouldn't be deprived. I try not to deprive myself of anything I want. I believe in moderation. It's just so hard when no matter what you do youre still hungry.

@teacupnosaucer I wish I could predict when my periods are coming. Mine are so irregular I never know until I start bleeding. That's a good idea to do something that keeps my hands busy. I'll have to see what I can do. I try very hard not to have things in the house that are not good for me. The problem is I live with other people and feel like I can't police what they eat It can be hard...and frustrating. It is pretty hard to decipher whether it is head hunger or actual hunger sometimes. I am trying very hard to not give into all hunger but maybe I should give into some. Maybe my body is telling me it needs more...

@hardwork&dedication Maybe...I am fatigued most of the time lately. I have had a lowgrade fever every day for over 4 weeks. It's taking it out of me. I feel like I get hungrier when I just rest though.

It's definitely not easy, I totally get you. I have two kids and a husband so I know how you feel not wanting to police what they eat. I try to buy things for them that I know I won't eat. My husband loves strawberry ice cream, I hate it, so it's pretty easy to have ice cream on hand for him.

The other thing to consider is (depending on your living situation obviously!) is that just because you don't have something in the house and on hand doesn't mean you're controlling if other people eat it. We don't have pop in the house but my husband is still free to go to McDonalds and buy himself a large coke. I'm not controlling what he eats, only what's in my immediate environment. Obviously this strategy is significantly less useful if you live with adult roommates who buy their own groceries or with someone not willing to compromise the food they bring into the house to help you achieve your goals. But don't assume it won't work prematurely, I guess? Like, if you ask someone might be completely on board and say yes, even if you think they won't. They might surprise you. (They also might not, in which case obviously it's much harder to control your food environment.)

Head hunger vs. physiological hunger is hard to decipher. I try to do to myself what I do with my kids. "You're hungry? Do you want an apple? If you're not hungry for an apple you're not really hungry." (Substitute whatever healthy choice you like.) Basically, physiological hunger wants to be fed. Head/heart/mouth hunger are very very specific. Like if I'm thinking "oh I could go for some chips" but I eat some beef Jerky and feel satisfied, then that's probably stomach hunger. If I'm thinking "I want chips and I don't want to eat anything else IT HAS TO BE CHIPS"... then to me that is a sure sign it's not physical hunger.

The other thing I learned in my emotional eating class is to delay cravings, like physically set a timer for 20 minutes. Make a deal with yourself that if you still want something after 20 minutes, then eat it (within reason obviously) but if you don't... well then, crisis averted lol. Waiting 20 minutes to eat won't alleviate physiological hunger, but delaying a craving may cause the intensity of it to subside, in which case you have your answer.

I should find out what the workbook I used is called, maybe you can get it on Amazon or something... it was really helpful to me.

Another distraction: pampering time. :)

My favorite for pampering at home is Lush, but it is somewhat pricey. I buy my favorites and to make them last longer, use other products in between. A brand called Enfusia is my second favorite. It is more budget-friendly and more readily available (Lush is available at Lush stores or through their website only; Enfusia is available in my area at Whole Foods and Central Market).

After my pre-op testing last week, I stopped into the Lush store (which just happens to be about a mile from my surgeon/hospital) and treated myself to some goodies, instead of indulging in food (a typical post-medical appointment activity in my previous life).

lush.jpg

@teacupnosaucer Yeah, I live with my parents...They are also both overweight. They are happy I am making this change for myself but are not ready to make the change for themselves...So they buy all sorts of crap. they have, after much begging, stopped putting it in the kitchen. But I know where they keep it. I try not to think about it but I know it's there and when I'm having a really bad day it's hard to just be like, there's nothing there.

That's true about the head hunger vs actual hunger. I will try the whole waiting 20 minutes thing. Thanks for that tip!

@Ms. Brightside Haha! pampering is always nice! I like to get my nails done and that is my pampering though I can only do that every couple weeks. I can't now though because I will be having plastic surgery on my extra skin on June 5th...I will just have to get it taken off so I figure I might as well wait! I might get a pedicure though. I have never really done one of those bath bomb things...I'm not even sure I fit in my bath tub yet! I am pretty tall ( a little over 5'10) so bathtubs aren't really comfy lol

Little tip with lush product called Sakura (bath bomb).

Crumble it up and add half of one to your towels and bedsheet wash instead of washing powder. It won't dye, stain and cleans everything beautifully with the added smell of the product.

Love from Scotland - day 140 of period from hell.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using BariatricPal mobile app