Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April Sleevers, What Changes Have You Noticed?

Sleeved 4/12 down 23 lbs counting pre op. I feel like I'm losing slower than most at 13 lbs in nearly 3 weeks. Getting all my Fluid and Protein in too.

I'm feeling the same way. I lost 15 pounds the first week now it's coming off very slowly. I'm stepping up my exercise game! (Sleeved 4/10)

I can relate to other's post about thinking about food more. It's kind of crazy how I'm so into watching the Food Network. I wonder if it's because I can't have the food. I, too, feel like a slow loser post-surgery. I've heard others say the first month can be a little slow since our bodies are still healing.

Thanks for asking this question and thanks for all the answers from everyone. It's so very helpful to hear from others, even if we all have a different experience, there are also a lot of similarities.

I was sleeved on April 10th. Since pre-op and surgery I'm down 29 pounds.

1. Surgery Recovery: I had a hard time the first week after surgery, however, as the days go by I feel much better and much more optimistic.
  2. Food-Mourning/Yearning: I also constantly think about food and I have had my ups and downs and tinges of regret. I realize; however, that a lot of that is just a version of mourning food and my old life that ended up leading me to the sleeve. Also, I notice that once I was done with the liquid stage, I felt more optimistic and "normal." I obsessively browse healthy eating recipes on Pinterest and am excited when they turn out to be so satisfying.
  3. Energy: I feel a lot more energy (until the afternoon when I hit the wall). Mentioned this to my doctor's office and they said this is normal. That my body needs time to recover. She said most people really start noticing the energy levels going up around 6-8 weeks after surgery. So, I'm hopeful and feeling positive.
  4. Physical Changes: I can see and feel the changes in my face and body. My clothes are all getting too baggy. Hmm... guess, I'll have to go shopping! :) Although, my strategy with buying clothes is that I'll only buy a few pieces at a time and on sale, because I intend to be shopping every few months as I lose the weight! ;)
  5. Pain-Free: Finally, the biggest change for me was before surgery, I had horrible problems with my knees (arthritis) and could barely walk anywhere without stiffness and pain. The pain is almost gone! I can walk easily and the swelling is down. THIS IS SUCH HAPPY NEWS for me! :)

Bottom Line: I am happy I made this choice and I understand (and will need to be reminded) that I have to work with the sleeve and not against it. Support will be so very important and I will continue to seek it out from my family, friends, this board and the support groups offered at my doc's office (although I'm not a huge group support person, I like to do everything on my own..). :)

I wish everyone continued good luck on this journey and thanks for the support!!!

Edited by Lattedah

I was sleeved 4/18 its been two weeks today. I am doing pretty good. Have lost about 20 pounds. Family says they notice in my face and legs. I notice in my boobs. They are now starting to flatten! I actually feel better as far as not having reflux all the time as I did before surgery. I had a meltdown Saturday and had a good cry. It's true it is very hard to give up an addiction. I think about food constantly and look on Pinterest through out the day looking for recipes when I can eat normal food. Only sleep about 4 hours a night. But I am happy I did this. I do not have any regrets. I lived a very unhealthy life for decades. I am going to be able to feel good. Ride a bike again, play with my grandkids and keep up with my two teenagers that are still at home.

I was sleeved March 29, 2017. I've lost 31 pounds since my preop diet started March 18th. Surgery day I was already down 12 though, so I have lost 19 since surgery. I lost a pound a day every day for the first 2 weeks and then kinda hit a stall where I lose a pound every few days or not at all. I went to the gym after two weeks and I felt like ever since I started working out, my fat is turning into muscle and I'm not losing weight. I can't complain because I am on the furthest hole in my belts though! LOL. I tried on my favorite skinny jeans that I haven't worn in about 8 months, so when they fit, I smiled. I feel the opposite as you all because I've been sleeping more than ever lately. I'll go to bed at 10:30 rather than my usual 1am and still wake up at the same time. I wonder if that'll get back to normal? I'm officially off short term restrictions which is nice but I still eat a mix: cottage cheese, yogurt, mashed potatoes, and as much meat as I can. I miss the idea of a sandwich sometimes, but not enough to let it bring me down. The only thing I am disappointed in is that I can barely drink Water and I love water. It's the hardest part.

Edited by SleevedMarch292017

Thought of a couple more things ...

My carpal tunnel that is usually unbearable at night is markedly better, and almost gone.

I don't have chest pain (in the form of stomach acid / ulcer pain).

Yesterday I was still able to function at 930 at night, even though I woke up at 5 for work and didn't have a nap (and no coffee for a couple weeks!).

I love reading this topic!!! I had my sleeve and hiatal hernia repair on 4/12. I have lost 31 pounds. Positive notes...
I can cross my legs.
My pants don't cut into my belly.
No more Diabetes!
No more bladder medication!
I think I have a waist.
I got to take time away from work.
I feel happy.

1 hour ago, SleevedMarch292017 said:

I was sleeved March 29, 2017. I've lost 31 pounds since my preop diet started March 18th. Surgery day I was already down 12 though, so I have lost 19 since surgery. I lost a pound a day every day for the first 2 weeks and then kinda hit a stall where I lose a pound every few days or not at all. I went to the gym after two weeks and I felt like ever since I started working out, my fat is turning into muscle and I'm not losing weight. I can't complain because I am on the furthest hole in my belts though! LOL. I tried on my favorite skinny jeans that I haven't worn in about 8 months, so when they fit, I smiled. I feel the opposite as you all because I've been sleeping more than ever lately. I'll go to bed at 10:30 rather than my usual 1am and still wake up at the same time. I wonder if that'll get back to normal? I'm officially off short term restrictions which is nice but I still eat a mix: cottage cheese, yogurt, mashed potatoes, and as much meat as I can. I miss the idea of a sandwich sometimes, but not enough to let it bring me down. The only thing I am disappointed in is that I can barely drink Water and I love Water. It's the hardest part.

/Wow sounds like a real mixed bag - lots of positive and some challenges too! How upsetting about the water. I have heard quite a few people say that through reading this forum. There's something about water than seems HARD ( ever do a belly flop??!) unlike a blended Soup or mashed potatoes. Wonder if there is anything to that. (I tend to imagine a lot of things!) And in the picture you seem to have a baby . There are usually really tiring in my experience!! ha ha I guess the best part os the jeans and the scale going DOWN regardless of the rate.

YOU'RE DOING IT!!!!

I was sleeved 4/6 and am down 30 lbs (14 preop and 16 postop)

Out of the plus size dept, (at least in tops)

can walk without my knees and back hurting

face is thinner, starting to recognize myself again!!!

walking 2-3 miles per day and prior to surgery a walk to the corner mailbox was torture between knee pain and being out of breath

sleeping so much better, like I turned the clock back 20 years on that one!

Congrats to everyone who has made this decision and is transforming.

I was sleeved 4/18 its been two weeks today. I am doing pretty good. Have lost about 20 pounds. Family says they notice in my face and legs. I notice in my boobs. They are now starting to flatten! I actually feel better as far as not having reflux all the time as I did before surgery. I had a meltdown Saturday and had a good cry. It's true it is very hard to give up an addiction. I think about food constantly and look on Pinterest through out the day looking for recipes when I can eat normal food. Only sleep about 4 hours a night. But I am happy I did this. I do not have any regrets. I lived a very unhealthy life for decades. I am going to be able to feel good. Ride a bike again, play with my grandkids and keep up with my two teenagers that are still at home.

I had mine on 4/19 only down 15lbs but great job

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

What a great topic idea! I was just sleeved on the 26th so I cant report real progress just yet. I can say that i am mourning food I cannot eat right now. It is so hard to have the Protein Shake while my family eats hamburgers and doritos for dinner. Or having that frosty treat from dairy queen. I know these feelings will pass and I will be so much better once I get farther in food choices once the sleeve heals. I searched the web yesterday for bariatric friendly recipes and I was pleasantly surprised to find many great choices I cannot wait to try! I just need to adapt my mindset and truly appreciate this gift I have been given :)

Thanks for all of the great responses so far....I love this group :D

11 hours ago, lucielu said:

Wow I was sleeved 3/27 and have only lost 20 lbs. I'm so frustrated thinking this isn't going to work! I'm exercising and eating right. I have about 100 lbs to lose. So angry right now.

Did you do a pre op diet? It seems like lots of people have a head start with it (like me) and then it seems like they've lost more weight. I know it must be hard but as long as the scale is going down, you need to celebrate!! ITs not going up like it did for all those years.