Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For some reason I am unable to drink enough fluids. Water tastes terrible to me and all of the flavor enhancers are way too sweet. Any ideas? I am so surprised at how my taste seems to have changed.

I used Mio drops (the blackberry something ones, check the labels because only a few are sucralose-free) that are sweetened with stevia...they're pretty good if you only use about half as much as they recommend. You can also get lemon and lime powder, then sweeten to your taste. Atkins Lift Protein Water is nice, but pricey.

My favorite post op drink is unsweet, Decaf iced tea. Love it and also mix unflavored Isopure Protein Powder in it and it tastes great... goes down easily and gives me the fluids I need plus my Protein.

I have had trouble with Water too, I have to have it ICE cold, lots of ice.... if it's just cold or cool, forget it... I get a gag reflex going. It's so weird.

I put a squirt of lemon juice in my Water now.

You can add less of the flavor packets to you Water. I use Wylers light raspberry ice. The recommendations say add to 16.9 oz of water. I add 1/2 a packet to 32 oz of water, otherwise it's to sweet for me. The only time I drink plain water is when I'm at the gym

I'm not a big Water fan myself, but I make myself drink 80 oz per day. The rest of my Fluid (around 32 oz additional) comes from mixing 8 oz of Powerade Zero fruit Punch with 8 oz of water. I have found that to be a pretty pleasant way to hydrate.

Try black coffee or black tea. It just has to be fluids, calorie free preferably, does not have to be Water.

You can also drink a low sodium broth all day too if you want. There are lots of options.

You have to tailor this to your lifestyle and your tastes. The only way you can live long term as a WLS patient and just a healthy person in general is to find a way to meet your goals and needs within the parameters without feeling deprived. That makes it easy mode.

Unsweetened iced herbal or fruit tea is my go-to. Davids Tea is a chain here in Canada that does all kinds of amazing loose leaf teas. They're not always calorie free, but I'll take 5-10 calories a serving if it means I'm getting my fluids in. I found Water started tasting good again at around three weeks post-op. I've never liked those artificial "water enhancers", I find they taste nasty and I feel like I'm doing no better for myself than drinking diet pop other than the carbonation factor.

The suggestion of Trulemon is a good one too, I love those.

You could also infuse your own water with berries or cucumber.

3 hours ago, PatientEleventyBillion said:

Well that's unfortunate. I still love ice Water just as much as I did pre-op.

OMG you had surgery! it feels like two days ago you were still a month out! how are you doing!?!?!??!?!

/thread hijack

I've been having a hard time with the crystal light powders recently, but I found these little crystal light liquid squirt bottles -- and they're way better! none of that artificial mouth-feel to them, and no residue left behind in cups/bottles (that always freaked me out a bit...) Maybe give these a try?