Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Columbus Area

NdWife - nice to see you post and look forward to see you Saturday at the style show at Tuttle.

KTBugg - nice to see you post too and thanks for the heads up about Clothesline Plus as a second plus size consignment option. I'm envious of you being in Size 12!You go girl!

I'm in desperate need of some support. I've been out of control since Christmas and have managed to gain 10 pounds after keep it off for a year and a half. I just can't seem to focus on myself these days and need help getting back on track. My mind just isn't where it needs to be and I can't seem to get back on track alone..... HELP !!!!!

I'm in desperate need of some support. I've been out of control since Christmas and have managed to gain 10 pounds after keep it off for a year and a half. I just can't seem to focus on myself these days and need help getting back on track. My mind just isn't where it needs to be and I can't seem to get back on track alone..... HELP !!!!!

Hi M,

Here are the regular first questions:

When was your last fill?

How often and what do you eat?

How is your blood work?

Do you exercise?

What's going on in your life that is keeping you from focusing on your wellness? Is there a foreseeable change or will you need to actively need to change some things around to refocus on yourself?

Please answer and let's see if we can help you sort your problems. We are here for support.

Juli

I sent HeatherA an email when I got to Florida from my recent trip there because I traveled with my mother and got the middle seat on the plane which would have been very hard for me in the past at +100 lbs ago. I would always pick an aisle seat so I had a little more room and could lean into the aisle some with my upper body to give the middle seat person their fair share of room with my size. I also have needed a seat belt extension for the last several years of flying and that was always a nightmare with the boarding process to have to push the button to get a flight attendant's attention or stop them and ask. Some of the attendants would be discreet about it and others clearly would let you know it was a "bother" to them and they would sometimes say you will have to wait until we get the flight safety instructions done and then I can bring you my demo one. All in all, embarrassing.

So now onto a happier note! On the flight down I was in the middle seat with my mother in the aisle seat and I was able to fit in that seat comfortably with the arms down and with enough seatbelt and 3+" of seatbelt to spare. Praise God from whom all blessings flow! and Thank God for my Lapband!

It occurred to me on the flight coming home that I should try to take a scrapbook picture of me with this magical seatbelt moment and I was trying to figure out who could take the picture without having to explain to those who don't understand these things why this was so important to me.

Then it dawned on me that there were these two young girls that were taking a picture of themselves by just holding their digital camera at arms length away and just experimenting with the pictures until they got one they liked. So that is what I did! I tried to get a picture that shows the seat belt buckled with room on the belt to spare!

The last picture is labeled Tray Table Down! Yes, that silly table that would never be able to fold completely down to hold my drink actually did come down in the middle seat actually better than the aisle seat I was in but regardless, I didn't have to hold my drink in my hand because it couldn't be set on the tray table. It still shows there isn't much room to spare between the table edge and my body, but it wasn't uncomfortable using the tray table.

Can't wait until the next time I get to fly on a plane with maybe more seatbelt slack! That next trip I want to take overseas or to Hawaii on a long flight will be much easier.

:rolleyes2::tt1::thumbup:

post-226326-13813138384064_thumb.jpg

post-226326-13813138384339_thumb.jpg

post-226326-1381313838459_thumb.jpg

post-226326-13813138384848_thumb.jpg

Edited by SpecialK
Lightened the pictures for more contrast

For all those of us who long to see smaller sizes I had one other NSV while on vacation. We did lots and lots of shopping and I am still trying to be good about not spending good money on nice clothes with the hopes that as I keep losing, I will just need some smaller things.

Anyway, there was a neat clearance rack at this store in Florida called Bells and there was a cute red, black and white jacket with about 3/4 length sleeves and the size 16 fit me, buttoned all the way down. I chased my mother and sister down in the store to model it for them. Ha! Ha! They said buy it! I resisted because it was the first day of vacation shopping but by the end of the week it was still there and even marked down a little more so I did splurge and buy it. It was about $20 on sale and even if I can't wear it a long time (if I keep on working out and eating right!) it will always give me the pleasure of knowing it was the first size 16 I have been able to fit into in a very very long time. Actually size 16 was the smallest size in the Plus Size section. That alone is a victory because I used to have to go to the highest or largest plus size they offered on the racks and hope it fit.

Just for the fun of it, I tried on something in a 14 (getting greedy on my hopes and dreams) and I could get my arms in it but not button it!

:unsure:Wow! That is soooooooo wonderful! I am sooo envious K!!! I just flew back from Florida last week,and I completely know how you felt about the seatbelt extender-I have to use one still. I have to do my two nutrition classes in June,then they will be sending all my information to the insurance company. And I still have to go for the largest sizes in the plus section and hope they fit. And ontop of everything else I am in the health field,and have to wear scrubs;any bigger I won't be able to get any scrubs. I can hardly wait to get to the point you're at today. Congratulations!!! I am supposed to be starting a food journal,but am having a hard time starting. What exactly are they looking for? I guess I need to get a scale so I can figure out how much food I am eating. Keep up the good work!!!!

Joyce

Sillypuddy - check out www.dailyplate.com or www.fitday.com as I understand they are two free online food tracking journaling web sites lots of us use. I have a similar one I use that is part of my bodybugg site. You just log in and put in Breakfast, Snacks, lunch, dinner, etc. and each has a directory or list of foods they already have you can search from and use and most also let you enter the info off a nutrition label for something specific you like to use and then you can reuse that same item again.

Or, the alternative is a piece of paper and/or using a spreadsheet in Excel to log things. Whatever works but I like using the online trackers because you learn about the nutrition and calorie counts of the foods to help you.

K

Hello everyone. While I've been on the forum awhile, I wouldn't have discovered this section without a PM from Special K. Now I'm back to reading this thread.

Does anyone want to do a 5k with me? .

Sorry I didn't find this thread till now. I've now done 2 5ks. The first one was the Susan Komen race for the cure downtown. Did you go to that one? I don't get moved very easily, but I was near the starting line and had to make way for a trolley that was carrying people who are currently undergoing treatment for breast cancer. I was just a couple of feet away when a lady on the trolley broke down from seeing 45000 people there supporting the cause.

My wife and I did the Habitat for Humanity 5K in Dublin last weekend. She isn't a runner either and finished it in about 42 minutes I think. I was a runner in school (30 years ago) and finished it in 28 minutes. I'm about to sign up for a 10K 6/7 downtown.

Oh, the highlight of the Dublin race was a police pursuit coming through the race.

Happy 4th of July to all. This story really inspired me and I wanted to pass it along. My father was career 24 yrs in US Air Force and our family made alot of sacrifices during those years and now I have a niece and nephew in the US Navy serving. I hope this inspires and lifts you up.

The Sack Lunches

I put my carry-on in the luggage compartment and sat down in my assigned seat. It was going to be a long flight. 'I'm glad I have a good book to read. Perhaps I will get a short nap,' I thought.

Just before take-off, a line of soldiers came down the aisle and filled all the vacant seats, totally surrounding me. I decided to start a conversation. 'Where are you headed?', I asked the soldier seated nearest to me. 'Petawawa. We'll be there for two weeks for special training, and then we're being deployed to Afghanistan . After flying for about an hour, an announcement was made that sack lunches were available for five dollars. It would be several hours before we reached the east, and I quickly decided a lunch would help pass the time.... As I reached for my wallet, I overheard soldier ask his buddy if he planned to buy lunch. 'No, that seems like a lot of money for just a sack lunch. Probably wouldn't be worth five bucks... I'll wait till we get to base. ' His friend agreed.

I looked around at the other soldiers. None were buying lunch. I walked to the back of the plane and handed the flight attendant a fifty dollar bill. 'Take a lunch to all those soldiers.' She grabbed my arms and squeezed tightly. Her eyes wet with tears, she thanked me. 'My son was a soldier in Iraq ; it's almost like you are doing it for him.'

Picking up ten sacks, she headed up the aisle to where the soldiers were seated. She stopped at my seat and asked, 'Which do you like best - beef or chicken? ' 'Chicken,' I replied, wondering why she asked. She turned and went to the front of plane, returning a minute later with a dinner plate from first class. 'This is your thanks.'

After we finished eating, I went again to the back of the plane, heading for the rest room. A man stopped me. 'I saw what you did. I want to be part of it. Here, take this.' He handed me twenty-five dollars.

Soon after I returned to my seat, I saw the Flight Captain coming down the aisle, looking at the aisle numbers as he walked, I hoped he was not looking for me, but noticed he was looking at the numbers only on my side of the plane. When he got to my row he stopped, smiled, held out hi s hand, and said, 'I want to shake your hand.' Quickly unfastening my seat belt I stood and took the Captain's hand. With a booming voice he said, 'I was a soldier and I was a military pilot. Once, someone bought me a lunch. It was an act of kindness I never forgot.' I was embarrassed when applause was heard from all of the passengers.

Later I walked to the front of the plane so I could stretch my legs. A man who was seated about six rows in front of me reached out his hand, wanting to shake mine. He left another twenty-five dollars in my palm.

When we landed I gathered my belongings and started to deplane. Waiting just inside the airplane door was a man who stopped me, put something in my shirt pocket, turned, and walked away without saying a word. Another twenty-five dollars!

Upon entering the terminal, I saw the soldiers gathering for their trip to the base. I walked over to them and handed them seventy-five dollars. 'It will take you some time to reach the base. It will be about time for a sandwich. God Bless You.'

Ten young men left that flight feeling the love and respect of their fellow travelers. As I walked briskly to my car, I whispered a prayer for their safe return. These soldiers were giving their all for our country. I could only give them a couple of meals. It seemed so little...

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

May God give you the strength and courage to pass this along to everyone on your buddy list....

I JUST DID!

Signed,

Proud to be an American

Special little get together planned for Thursday July 23 at 6-6:30 pm or so at the Polaris Mall to catch up with our bandster OHJuli and to help Celebrate her post PS skinny "petite" little body. We all can't wait until we see her. Corner near Chik-Fil-A and Great Indoors of the food court, same as usual on the Saturdays.

That's really sweet, but I want to see you all and catch up with you more than I want to be celebrated.

I'm looking forward to Thursday.

I got this one via email and I thought it really holds true for those of us who have fought a battle with obesity our whole lives that we may have wanted to be known for what was inside our "Clay Ball". It will remind me that no matter how far I've come, to remember to keep looking on the inside.

K

Clay Balls

A man was exploring caves by the Seashore. In one of the caves he found a canvas bag with a bunch of hardened clay balls. It was like someone had rolled clay balls and left them out in the sun to bake. They didn't look like much, but they intrigued the man, so he took the bag out of the cave with him. As he strolled along the beach, he would throw the clay balls one at a time out into the ocean as far as he could.

He thought little about it, until he dropped one of the clay balls and it cracked open on a rock . Inside was a beautiful, precious stone!

Excited, the man started breaking open the remaining clay balls. Each contained a similar treasure. He found thousands of dollars worth of jewels in the 20 or so clay balls he had left.

Then it struck him. He had been on the beach a long time. He had thrown maybe 50 or 60 of the clay balls with their hidden treasure into the ocean waves.. Instead of thousands of dollars in treasure, he could have taken home tens of thousands, but he had just thrown it away!

It's like that with people. We look at someone, maybe even ourselves, and we see the external clay vessel. It doesn't look like much from the outside. It isn't always beautiful or sparkling, so we discount it.

We see that person as less important than someone more beautiful or stylish or well known or wealthy. But we have not taken the time to find the treasure hidden inside that person.

There is a treasure in each and every one of us. If we take the time to get to know that person, and if we ask God to show us that person the way He sees them, then the clay begins to peel away and the brilliant gem begins to shine forth.

May we not come to the end of our lives and find out that we have thrown away a fortune in friendships because the gems were hidden in bits of clay. May we see the people in our world as God sees them.

I am so blessed by the gems of friendship I have with you. Thank you for looking beyond my clay vessel.

Here is a fun NSV from me today that is Columbus related -- I signed up to walk in the American Heart Assn START Heart Walk today and the kickoff event was in the new Huntington Park baseball park. I fit into the fold down seats with arms on each side with room to spare and no pinching my thighs! Yea!

P.S. It is a really nice baseball park for those who haven't seen the new home of the Columbus Clippers.

P.S. It is a really nice baseball park for those who haven't seen the new home of the Columbus Clippers.

We ran the 5K there a few weeks ago, it is a nice place. I just checked into share some news. The people at OSU asked my wife and I if we would consider speaking to potential candidates at an up coming informational session. My wife was RNY and I was banded. We are kind of psyched about it.