Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Columbus Area

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the boards and in desperate need of a support group. I had my surgery done in January of 09 at OSU Medical Center. I'm glad I had it done, but I've been slow to loose and found it frustrating because the team at OSU focuses on gastric bypass and not lapband. I feel very alone because I can't talk to anyone about my specific concerns. Worse, I feel like I'm doing something wrong because I haven't been able to get good restriction. I'd love to be able to meet up with folks when they do a local support group/gathering. I am so excited to have found this forum, as I've been reading posts for the last two days during every bit of free-time I can find. It has been helpful.

Melis

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the boards and in desperate need of a support group. I had my surgery done in January of 09 at OSU Medical Center. I'm glad I had it done, but I've been slow to loose and found it frustrating because the team at OSU focuses on gastric bypass and not lapband. I feel very alone because I can't talk to anyone about my specific concerns. Worse, I feel like I'm doing something wrong because I haven't been able to get good restriction. I'd love to be able to meet up with folks when they do a local support group/gathering. I am so excited to have found this forum, as I've been reading posts for the last two days during every bit of free-time I can find. It has been helpful.

Melis

I had the lapband done a month ahead of you at OSU. I do appreciate that probably 75% of their work is bypass, they still do significant number of bands. They do have a support group, I go occasionally and most people are bypass people but I find it helpful if you participate. My wife a bypass patient has gone with a friend to Mt Carmel's group and says they are well done. You can go there even though your surgery was at OSU, at least that is the way I understand it. But this forum has probably been my best support. I can give you the email address of the lady who coordinates the OSU groups. Its Kaitlin who did my nutrition classes. Feel free to write to PM me here I will pass on her email address.

Hey out there to all my Columbus lapbanders! We have missed a December get together. Should I try to schedule a January one and we can all share our New Year's resolutions and how we are getting along on our Lapband Journey.

I am struggling now and could use some encouragement. Kind of stalled out. I am going to get some counseling to try to get my head and emotions sorted out on why I'm stuck - as I know its my behaviors in eating to contribute to some of it, and other part of it is the body has been stubborn to let go of this particular level of weight, like I hit a set point where it is happy -- maybe its really me happy at this weight-- the compliments I get are so nice but I gotta remember to keep going. Some people start their journey where I am now and that is hard for me to mentally get my head into, how they were so motivated about their lapband at this weight. I'll keep trying so don't think I have given up.

Give me a shout out if there is interest in a January 2nd Saturday Polaris mall gathering to check in with each other.

Kathy

Kathy, we actually had a nice little get together last weekend, though we missed you and it was a small group. We're still on track for the meeting on January 9th so I hope to see you there!

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling. I've been pretty steady at my weight for over a year now and still hoping the last 35-40 pounds will come off some time in the future. Haha. I've just stopped fighting it and am trying to enjoy the fact that I'm 85-90 pounds less than I was 2 years ago at this time. (Today is my 2 year bandiversary)

I think you have the right idea when it comes to getting counseling. I think that could help you come to grips with issues that manifest in food, but don't really stem from food.

I'm always available via phone and email. Don't be a stranger...

{{{HUGS}}}

Hello,

I am new to this site and the thought of LAP-BAND®. I live up in marion with bcbs of alabama insurance. I have read through alot of the post but there are so many pages. People willing to share alittle about their experiences with their doctors, do all charge a fee upfront like the $300 from mount carmel and has anyone went down to cincinnati <Dr. Curry> and would it be worth it instead of staying in columbus? lets pretend that my insurance will cover it for the moment, wont be shocked if it doesnt because i dont have good luck. lol

I've never went to my family doc for my weight, would that be a problem of not having documentation? I am 5'5 285, my BMI is 47 with high blood pressure.

Sorry for all the questions but you all seem so friendly and informative.

Hi Broken Angel --Welcome!

BCBS has covered Lapband surgery for others so if you can be patient I'd give it a try and see how far you can get with insurance approval as paying out of pocket is tough versus only covering your co-pays for office visits and/or the part of the surgery costs that were mine were about 15% co-insurance thru my Aetna coverage.

I have met folks who went to Dr. Curry in Cincinnati for selfpay and were very happy they did. He has an office in Columbus for follow ups and the out of pocket cost of Dr. Curry versus Mt. Carmel/Riverside/OSU is significant - as in $15K versus $22K or somethign in that range.

I couldn't afford self-pay so I had to go with the doctors who were on my insurance plan which happened to be Mt. Carmel at the time and I was very happy with both my surgeon Dr. Price and my follow up surgeon Dr. Miller and everyone says Dr. Choban as well was just terriffic too so I think all of the three doctors they have at Mt Carmel are very good choices.

I will tell you to get prepared that most of the three main practices in the Columbus area do try to talk you into RNY or gastric bypass if you are unsure if Lapband is what you want. Just listen to the facts and decide for yourself. My insurance didn't cover the sleeve or VSG at that time and I didn't feel I wanted something as major as the RNY but I have since met many other patients in my support group who had that surgery and they are very happy.

Keep posting your questions and we'll try to help you sort is all out!

Kathy

P.S. for Marion, that would be pretty convenient for you to come to our next Polaris Mall gathering. Its usually the 2nd Saturday of the month, 2-4pm, food Court near the Chik-Fil-A and you can meet those of us who went to the different practices and ask questions in person if you'd like. Feel free to bring a support person along, friend or spouse, if you'd like the comfort of meeting the group in an open setting.

Edited by SpecialK

Kathy,

Thank you for replying. I have been looking at Mount Carmel because of location. I work in Delaware so the convience of being able to jump over there after work is nice. I definatly cant afford to pay for this procedure but Cincinnati looked so appealing that i would be willing to do the drive and do check ups in Columbus, my hubby is for anything I decide. I have decided on the band because I dont want the major dealings of bypass... not that lap band isnt major, Im sure you know what I mean. My sister had Gastric Bypass and she just didnt do well at all, in and out of the hospital (not convinced it is the surgery but the way she isnt caring for herself). I'm calling Insurance today just to see what they say and have registerd for a seminar for mounth carmel next week.

I would love to come to the meet and greet at Polaris. I will see what my schedule holds that day.

Thank you,

candy

Hi Broken Angel,

I don't live too far from you...I'm a bit north around the Bucyrus area. I am currently going through OSU's program and will finish my last required nutrition class tomorrow and then if all goes well with the insurance piece, I will have my surgery. I'm thinking of going on Saturday as well since it is hard to connect with other lap band people. Hope to see you there!!

jenpen,

I wont be able to make it saturday. I will go to one soon though because it would be nice to meet up with other experienced and novice banders. My husband and I are going down to Cincinnati for a seminar with Dr. Curry on saturday. We are going to a seminar tonight for OSU, would love any insite on their procedures if you care to share.

jenpen,

I wont be able to make it saturday. I will go to one soon though because it would be nice to meet up with other experienced and novice banders. My husband and I are going down to Cincinnati for a seminar with Dr. Curry on saturday. We are going to a seminar tonight for OSU, would love any insite on their procedures if you care to share.

Good luck Jen and Angel, I go for my 1 year follow up at OSU tomorrow! Hard to believe its been a year already, but it sure helped make 2009 a better year for me. I keep promising to make one of the Polaris gatherings, maybe this one. (Lap band surgery did little to help my memory)

Hi candy,

So far, my experience with OSU has been positive. I went to a seminar in the summer and called them a few days later to get the process started. My mom had gastric bypass with Dr. Needleman and was really pleased with her care. Dr. Mikami does most of the bands, but I met him when he did my endoscopy (which is somestimes required before surgery for acid reflux patients) and I had a good experience with him. So far, they have done a really good job of walking me through all of the required appointments (which there are a lot of). The best thing I can tell you to do is check with your insurance first to see who are your providers if you haven't done that yet. The only challenge with cincinnati could be all of the pre-op appointments you may have to attend and the travel, but again it may depend on your personal situation. I have heard really good things about Mt. Carmel as well. Let me know if you have other questions!-jenny

That is awesome, Bill! So, your surgery experience with OSU was positive? Who did your surgery? As I get closer, I am getting a little nervous about the surgery and the weeks afterwards!

It is nice to see all of you OSU lapband program folks jumping in to support each other. I will post the Columbus gathering thread for this Saturday - it will be at the Polaris Mall again, 2-4pm, in the food Court area by Chik-Fil-A and Great Indoors. I plan to bring some of my Before/After scrapbook photos. It has helped me a lot to keep a journal via a scrapbook of this journey because I don't ever want to forget the hard work and the sense of triumph I felt every time I hit a milestone on this journey. I never want to go back to where I was before.

Went to the seminar for OSU and it was nice. Sounds like a good program but I dont have anything to compare it too yet. I wasnt happy to see that they did like to push the bypass surgery over Lapband, thats ok though... I know what I want. Have Mount Carmel and Riverside seminars set up for next week. I'm calling my insurances today, hopefully atleast one will cover the procedure.

Bill,

Running a marthon is on my husbands bucket list, he is fortunate enough to not be over weight. I personaly dont see how I could do it, I commend you on your weightloss and marathons.