Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Columbus Area

Event Announcement Cincinnati, Aug 20-21, 2010

Hello from OH Events! It’s time again to join your friends at an OH event and kick up your heels! We have so much fun at the events, reconnecting with old friends and meeting new friends we may have met on the boards! We learn together, laugh together and sometimes even dance together! Come show off and be a part of our member fashion show. Bring a friend or family member…we encourage everyone to join us. This year we are proud to bring back our main stage speakers (new topics, of course) who are joining us to provide you with the tools and inspiration you need to get on track or stay on track! Gather your friends and take home free photos of yourselves from our sponsored photo booth!

Come see Dr. Garth Davis and Mary Jo Rapini from TLC's Big Medicine.

Link over to Obesity Help for more info:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4204067/Event-Announcement-Cincinnati-Aug-20-21-2010/

Edited by SpecialK

Hey Kathy!

I bought my ticket a few months back.......

I will be there with bells on....

I attend the Mount Carmel support groups and was thinking that you had said you used to go????

Steph

Hi FunnyFlamingo -- yes I was faithfully attending Mt. Carmels support group and then they switched it and I showed up on a 1st Monday instead of a 2nd Tuesday so I need to get back on track - when is the next support group meeting for August?

I am considering going to this as motivation if I am not going to Arizona for my sister's election! I'll know in the next couple weeks if I have a job option lined up and if I do, I probably can't go to Arizona but if not, then I will be out there to support her. The election is on her birthday and I think she will be celebrating big time if she wins and she'll be so down and depressed if she loses so either way, I want to be there for her.

Anyway, I love watching the show Big Medicine and hope it returns in the fall.

Hey Kathy!

The meetings are the 1st monday (nutrition), 2nd tuesday(general surgery) and 3rd wednesday(emotional support)

Would love to see you!!!

Steph

P.S.

Hiya Cindy :unsure:

I got a .4 cc fill and was on the liquids thing for Tuesday and boy, was I ever hungry - Protein Shakes and the Unjury chicken Soup to get my Protein in liquid form. Yesterday I went up to soft foods and did fine. By dinner I thought I'd try some grapes and that was evidently too much Fiber with the skins. Two eggs went down (over medium with some yolk to help moisten the whites) for Breakfast today and now I'm trying to do a simple lettuce salad with finely chopped chicken and that is taking some time and I'm probably not going to get much of this down. Interesting that chicken nuggets from Wendy's went down with the ranch dipping sauce as my lunch yesterday okay. I don't recommend a repeat of that as the dipping sauce was as many calories as the chicken nuggets were! Not sure I could have got the chicken nuggets down now without the dipping sauce.

Anyway, I still could use some good thoughts aimed my way on the job front. I've applied for so many now and was so hopeful early on but I've barely had any nibbles now in a few weeks. One recruiter is interested and tried to call me today and I missed the call because I didn't have my cell phone back in the computer room with me. That was dumb on my part. Anyway, I called him back and then he wasn't available so I'm hoping he'll call again this afternoon. Financially things are getting pretty tight and I am trying my best to keep my spirits up and not let eating be my stress outlet. I will take a walk later today if he hasn't called by 5pm.

After I get through this, I am going to be even more sensitive and caring to others in this same position in terms of a job loss that was no fault of their own, just corporate America doing its thing. I feel the same about being continued kind and respectful of people regardless of their size no matter what size I am.

These threads are so quiet these days! How are you all doing? I'm hanging in there at about 84 pounds at just nearly 3 years out (not sure what my sig says as I haven't been on these boards in quite some time.) and I'm going in for my first fill in a year tomorrow. I was doing great on my own without much restriction (it comes and goes) and was exercising and eating right until about June. Then I hit a wall and I've put back on about 14 of the 23 pounds I lost until that point. I figure I have this tool, I'd better use it! I'm really scared though to go back to being filled and will have to re-learn a lot of my band habits that have slowly slipped away.

All I know is that I do NOT want to gain any more weight back and since I can't seem to get myself going on my own I need help somewhere. Recognizing this really feels like a step in the right direction for me. In the past I'd wait til I was way out of hand and then be so far gone it'd be a real job to get back on track.

Anyone else dealing with this this far out?

EDIT: Updated my tracker and I've gained just over 12 pounds in exactly 6 months so I'm averaging a 2 pound gain a month! EEEK!

Edited by HeatherA

Heather -- you are not alone. I am stuck at -140 lbs off and keep bouncing up and down at the same number and I have at least 40 more to lose. Do you want to start getting together over coffee weekly -- kind of a WW buddy like approach. I could meet on a Monday or Tuesday evening at that Paneras near Maxtown? I need to buckle down and use my DailyPlate to track what I'm doing. I have restriction but I'm bored with my eating and I slip up to try something easier to eat or something sweet. I do not want to ever go back to where I was. I also believe I have this tool and will use it. Give me a call.

SpecialK

I admit it - I'm struggling - the emotional ups and downs in my life right now are driving me to make some bad food choices. I did better this past weekend but the scale is totally stuck at the level I'm at with fluctuating up and down 5 lbs when I need to get losing and keep going further down. I'm trying...its just getting harder.

Hey all...I live in Columbus and am planning on having the lap band surgery. I have an appointment this Friday with my doc to talk about it and see if we can make it work with my current policy. Hope I can join you all in your success!

Hi Bugwitch! I'm a Columbus bandster and a group of us informally meet up at the Polaris mall on the 2nd Saturday from 2-4pm. If you want to talk to some of us in person, send me Private Message here on this board and I'll give you an email address and/or phone #. I had mine done at Mt. Carmel 3 years ago.We have folks from Riverside and Ohio State that have come and also Dr. Curry in Cincinnati.

Hey all...I live in Columbus and am planning on having the lap band surgery. I have an appointment this Friday with my doc to talk about it and see if we can make it work with my current policy. Hope I can join you all in your success!

Well, I am actually debating between the band and vsg.

Thanks, I'll definitely try to check out your group next month.

I have my pre-surgery appointment 2/25/11 with Dr. Needleman @ OSU. I will be under the knife by the end of March. I must say that Cigna so far has been great. They approved the surgery in 2 days. I was very impressed with thier quick turn around. Any advice on what to expect in the days / weeks leading up to surgery?

Jimmy

Gahanna, OH

Congrats Jimmy on getting approved for OSU so quickly. Several of us had to go through months of fighting with our insurance - for me three years ago this March. These next 2 weeks will fly by. They didn't have us do a pre-op diet but some programs do. See what they tell you. You should be in overnight and out the next day. Some of us had shoulder pain from where the gas is escaping post op but it went away pretty quick. We'll be meeting informally at the Polaris Mall in mall so if you feel like getting out, its the 2nd Saturday in March 2-4 pm in the food court area in the corner by Chik-fil-A and Great Indoors - there are some kids rides in that area. Best wishes!

Bugwitch - why did you choose Mexico for your surgery? Cost due to no help on insurance? Best wishes on your decision about lapband or sleeve. I am 3 years out now for my lapband and glad I made that choice. Interesting that my hospital program (Mt. Carmel)did the analysis about offering sleeve but most people are good candidates for either lapband or RNY and they aren't doing too many sleeves. Let us know which you chose and why. We try to stay open minded; We'll be meeting once again at Polaris Mall on 2nd Saturday in March 2-4 pm in the food court area near Chik-fil-A and Great Indoors. This next month will fly by! Best wishes.

Well, I am actually debating between the band and vsg.

Thanks, I'll definitely try to check out your group next month.

I am going to Mexico for two reasons:

1) Self-Pay. My insurance will not cover it, so I gotta go where I can use my own money.

2) The doctors in Mexico (and Europe, etc) have been doing these procedures far longer and have much more experience than the ones here in the States.