Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4.27.17 New to surgery and freaking out Help

This is my first time every having surgery and up until now I was calm and cool. My surgery scheduled for 4.27 and I have become really nervous and scared. I went for my pre surgical screening and guess the fear kicked in. How is everyone postOp eating? I was told to walk and gas may be bad? Anyone else experience this? Was post op diet difficult? Any recommendations on what to eat? Please share your experience. I have a 2 young kids and was really nervous

I had surgery 4/12, im 10 days post op. I was scared too- the morning of surgery I started sobbing when my surgeon came in to talk with me. The first 2 days sucked and were a blur. I'm still in pain but doing better. I had no problem with fluids and have now moved onto purees with no problem so post op eating/drinking has been a breeze for me.

I'm 4/24 and freaking too. Keep wondering if all of this is really necessary. Frustrated and feel like I should be able to do this on my own

I'm 4/24 and freaking too. Keep wondering if all of this is really necessary. Frustrated and feel like I should be able to do this on my own

I felt the same way. I mean hell we should be able to on our own. It's will power and working out right? Wrong, there are solo many aspects that go into our relationship with food and with ourselves that affect our mental, emotional, and physical health. Stop looking at this surgery as you failed at doing this correctly. This is a tool to help you make the changes maybe you knew you needed to make and some you didn't. I don't know about any of you but, my family taught me very bad food habits. I'm married with no kids but I book for an army because that was how I was taught. Or I work long days it's easier to get McDonald's than to make a healthy meal to take with me. Yeah, excuses. We can come up with hundred s if we tried from medications, mental health, physically I just can't work out or I'm tired. Bottom line is how long have you been trying this on your own? The tools you have used in the past diets, work out marathons, medication who knows what all you tried. I however tried them all. I'm an athlete I was injured in a car accident and broke my back. My weight gain started there but it didn't stop. After 12yrs battling with losing what I learned is I don't have all the tools or information. Our society is built for convenience which makes us far and lazy. Then fills us with shame and guilt. I say dump the shame and choose to mindful instead. You wouldn't be in this chat if you were doing it well in your own. Great news, your not alone! We have a chance to learn from each other and better yet pass on the knew knowledge and healthy living to the kids. Just my opinion but use this as the tool you need to kick start some major changes you need. Is it hard? yes, does it hurt? Yes. Is it worth it? I'm 14 days post op and down 21lbs. I've learned that it I didn't have all the tools to do it on my own and now I'm seeking the healthy ones out. So yes it's worth it to me. I wish you all the best. But to me it's scarier going on the way I was diabetic, suck, unhealthy, and unhappy. You still have time to change your mind. Until they take you back you can cancel so just decide can you do it on your own? I couldn't.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgery was more than two years ago but I remember freaking out too. I was convinced I was going to die on the operating table. But I decided that not having surgery was worse for my health than the risks of having it. Now I realize this was one of the best decisions I've ever made for myself.

Surgery was on Tuesday for me and I won't lie, first two days were incredibly uncomfortable for me as I was repeatedly sick due to anaesthesia and haemostatis. Once i got up, drain was removed and catheter too I started feeling better on an hourly basis.

I got out on Thursday and have had NO painkillers at home at all, I'm not being brave I just don't feel any pain. Burps are needed but a trick you can use is baby colic drops such as Infacol etc.

Been to shops twice in two days with my toddler and hubby, lifting is a no-no and I'm missing my hugs with my daughter but you really don't want a kid jumping on the wounds.

I'm now allowed milk, thinned Soups, yoghurts and drinking Lucozade sport to help stabilize my own fluids which has really helped as I'm probably under Water required but again that's improved daily.

The fear I totally get, it's the whole WTF moment.

Fear is OK. You are making a major life change which will have wide reaching affects on your daily existence. However, thousands of people have done this before you and will do it after you. What those of us who have been on both sides of the bench can tell you is that you have to have your head in the right place. You have to be committed to doing this and FOLLOWING YOUR TEAM"S INSTRUCTIONS!

As for in the hospital, you will have gas. If you walk, the gas will go away. Pretty simple. Make sure you bring a bathrobe so you don't flash the hallways as you do your laps.

If you deviate from your post-op diet, you could wind up very ill and having to have another surgery. Your stomach will take 6-8 weeks to heal, which is why the post-op diet is so regimented. You need to give your body time to heal and for the swelling to go down.

In terms of what to eat, your team will give you a detailed plan of what to eat. Follow it. For my team, after leaving the hospital I was on full liquids - yogurt, sugar free pudding and Jello, strained Soups (no solids), creamed soups, Protein Shakes and Water. My goal was 60/64 -- 60 grams of Protein and 64 ounces of water daily. It took about a week to get there. I was on that for two weeks and then moved to pureed foods -- think baby food consistency. I had two weeks of that and them moved to soft foods -- scrambled eggs, soft white fish, tuna salad, etc. Then at 6 weeks, regular diet, as tolerated. Your team's plan may be different. Do what your team says.

I'm now 8 months out -- almost 90 pounds down -- and pretty much eat whatever I cook for my family. I've lost 72% of my excess body weight - I'd like to lose another 30 before I move into maintenance. Today, for Breakfast, I had two eggs and a piece of whole wheat toast. I'm not too hungry, but I know I need to eat some lunch - so I'll have a yogurt. I average about 80-90 grams of protein daily on 1000 calories. I work out 4-5 times a week, including a total of 4 hours of fencing and another 2 days in the gym.

It's OK to be afraid. But you need to get your head in the right place. I think all of us had a bout of nerves before surgery.

I felt the same way. I mean hell we should be able to on our own. It's will power and working out right? Wrong, there are solo many aspects that go into our relationship with food and with ourselves that affect our mental, emotional, and physical health. Stop looking at this surgery as you failed at doing this correctly. This is a tool to help you make the changes maybe you knew you needed to make and some you didn't. I don't know about any of you but, my family taught me very bad food habits. I'm married with no kids but I book for an army because that was how I was taught. Or I work long days it's easier to get McDonald's than to make a healthy meal to take with me. Yeah, excuses. We can come up with hundred s if we tried from medications, mental health, physically I just can't work out or I'm tired. Bottom line is how long have you been trying this on your own? The tools you have used in the past diets, work out marathons, medication who knows what all you tried. I however tried them all. I'm an athlete I was injured in a car accident and broke my back. My weight gain started there but it didn't stop. After 12yrs battling with losing what I learned is I don't have all the tools or information. Our society is built for convenience which makes us far and lazy. Then fills us with shame and guilt. I say dump the shame and choose to mindful instead. You wouldn't be in this chat if you were doing it well in your own. Great news, your not alone! We have a chance to learn from each other and better yet pass on the knew knowledge and healthy living to the kids. Just my opinion but use this as the tool you need to kick start some major changes you need. Is it hard? yes, does it hurt? Yes. Is it worth it? I'm 14 days post op and down 21lbs. I've learned that it I didn't have all the tools to do it on my own and now I'm seeking the healthy ones out. So yes it's worth it to me. I wish you all the best. But to me it's scarier going on the way I was diabetic, suck, unhealthy, and unhappy. You still have time to change your mind. Until they take you back you can cancel so just decide can you do it on your own? I couldn't.

Thank you for your input. I feel like it comes in waves, where I'm 100% with this decision, and then doubt comes creeping in. Possibly because my husband thinks I'm nuts for doing this and isn't super supportive. I have done meds, workouts, etc. Nothing has worked. The only time I was able to lose weight was while taking meds, but once I stopped, all the weight and then some came back on. I just keep thinking, ****, maybe all of those other times, I just haven't given it my all... but then quickly realize I've been overweight pretty much my entire life... My whole family, actually. Luckily, I don't have many health related complications other than back pain and swelling in my extremities ( I had back surgery in 2009). However, mentally, My weight has crushed me. I'm tired of hiding and always being the fat friend (I'm 236 & 5'5). I just want to be Happy. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate them!!

Fear is OK. You are making a major life change which will have wide reaching affects on your daily existence. However, thousands of people have done this before you and will do it after you. What those of us who have been on both sides of the bench can tell you is that you have to have your head in the right place. You have to be committed to doing this and FOLLOWING YOUR TEAM"S INSTRUCTIONS!
As for in the hospital, you will have gas. If you walk, the gas will go away. Pretty simple. Make sure you bring a bathrobe so you don't flash the hallways as you do your laps.
If you deviate from your post-op diet, you could wind up very ill and having to have another surgery. Your stomach will take 6-8 weeks to heal, which is why the post-op diet is so regimented. You need to give your body time to heal and for the swelling to go down.
In terms of what to eat, your team will give you a detailed plan of what to eat. Follow it. For my team, after leaving the hospital I was on full liquids - yogurt, sugar free pudding and Jello, strained Soups (no solids), creamed soups, Protein Shakes and Water. My goal was 60/64 -- 60 grams of Protein and 64 ounces of water daily. It took about a week to get there. I was on that for two weeks and then moved to pureed foods -- think baby food consistency. I had two weeks of that and them moved to soft foods -- scrambled eggs, soft white fish, tuna salad, etc. Then at 6 weeks, regular diet, as tolerated. Your team's plan may be different. Do what your team says.
I'm now 8 months out -- almost 90 pounds down -- and pretty much eat whatever I cook for my family. I've lost 72% of my excess body weight - I'd like to lose another 30 before I move into maintenance. Today, for breakfast, I had two eggs and a piece of whole wheat toast. I'm not too hungry, but I know I need to eat some lunch - so I'll have a yogurt. I average about 80-90 grams of protein daily on 1000 calories. I work out 4-5 times a week, including a total of 4 hours of fencing and another 2 days in the gym.
It's OK to be afraid. But you need to get your head in the right place. I think all of us had a bout of nerves before surgery.

Thank you for your thoughts! Its comforting to know I'm not alone.

You are very welcome. You have a lot of good feedback it's very nice to hear that as well! Anytime you doubt you can count on us to help. It's time to shed that day friend and show your true self. If you need to talk you can private mail me. We all need friends the more the better. Best wishes you got this!

Thank you all so much. Reading these post today had really helped me. I feel more comfortable and good to know I'm not the only one who had these feelings. I am glad you all have taken the time to share it means more than I can express in words

I had surgery 4/12, im 10 days post op. I was scared too- the morning of surgery I started sobbing when my surgeon came in to talk with me. The first 2 days sucked and were a blur. I'm still in pain but doing better. I had no problem with fluids and have now moved onto purees with no problem so post op eating/drinking has been a breeze for me.

Did you do your shopping for stuff in advance or as you go. Glad your doing well. So do you sip your drinks? How long does it take to drink something down

After reading everything I think we will be okay. Please let us know how things go..I had those same feelings I wad 340 and on my own. Came down to 240 and ended up getting hurt and gained about 25 back and just can't get the weight off. I was feeling anxiety like I can do this but I realize I am making a better choice to do this surgery for me and my little ones.