Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone,

Just wondering if any of you did not have the leak test performed. My doctor did not do one and I thought it was a requirement.

My surgeon uses gas in the stomach and Water in the abdomen to check the suture line before they close the incisions. I wouldn't have known that he did it, but I asked.

Mine will do one the following day, so npo until then, I will be a serious head case...or drugged out so I don't care.

2 hours ago, Ren33vsg said:

any of you did not have the leak test performed

i didn't have the leak test

kind of concerned me after the fact:mellow:

luckily i didn't have any problems PO

i don't think it's a "must do" - think it's doc's

decision - unless you ask/tell him one way or the other

after 5+ years i think i am safe;)

good luck

kathy

edit:the pic under my name changed a couple of days

ago to a guy - this is NOT me!!

wonder if this has happened to him too?

my signature needs to be fixed too

don't know his name

also the signature on my page is messed with

spaces wide apart (similar to @summerset

my name is @proudgrammy

@Alex Brecher

could you look into this and fix it!!

TIA

kathy

I had surgery at 7am Wednesday and had my leak test at about 6pm that same day.

2 hours ago, summerset said:

I didn't have one.

Leak tests are usually only done if they have a suspicion there might be a leak.

Thank you... That's what my doctor stated as well, but I had never heard that. Every doctor is different I guess. However, a part of me would like to know for sure.

My dr wasn't going to do one but because I was so nauseous she decided to. I went the next morning and had it done. Let me tell you, that was the most unpleasant thing ever. I wound up throwing up a little when I got to my room and then of course had the "what did I do to myself moment". When they did the test they said it all looked good. But after the dry heaving and throwing up it made me a little paranoid.

I didn't have the leak test. What do they do?

I'm sure you had the intra-op leak test.

Regarding the post-op test: you have to swallow a more or less (usually more) nasty tasting contrast agent and then an X-ray is done.

My was done in the operating room before the surgery was completed. A gastroenterologist does it right at the end of the procedure.

Mine will be done tomorrow before sewing me back up. Think they use methylene blue and once they are happy I'm glued up. Very rare to get a barium done here unless major issues

I had one the morning after surgery. It was quick and easy.

I didn't have the leak test. What do they do?

They give you a tiny cup of horribly bitter tasting liquid that you have to drink up. This is after two or three days of having nothing but ice chips so you are not going to want to have anything to do with it. When you drink it, they make you wait about five minutes (or not, I don't remember) and then they stand you in front of an X-ray like machine and see if that liquid is leaking out of your new stomach. You are going to be nauseated as hell and disgusted with the taste of that thing for the next two hours or so. Drinking that much liquid for the first time after surgery is also going to hurt. (It's equivalent to three sips for a person who has not had the surgery).