Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, went to the ER today due to stomach pain because of non stop cough, turns out I have the flu and pneumonia AND pregnant, from the caluculations I had VSG done while I was pregnant. Now I'm scared anyone been in this situation before? Please share your experience. Since sx I've lost 36 pounds

Edited by Marcella Restrepo

You need to speak to some drs about all the meds that were administered during and after surgery as they would affect a fetus. This is one pregnancy you may need to consider letting go... time is of the essence, so start making those calls today.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

The facility that did your surgery should have he led for pregnancy before the procedure. This could be dangerous for both mom and fetus. Call your DR asap

If they didn't do a test than yes, you may have a legal issue on hand; but on the other hand, if they did, some tests still turn out negative. Few years back, I had a blood test and a urine test at the hospital and they both came out negative--even hospital tests aren't 100% effective. It's amazing what the body goes through to protect the baby in the womb when something like major surgery is happening and my prayer is that the baby is fine. But to go to the ER with the pains be prepared for a miscarriage, should it happen. That's how my miscarriages went...stomach pains/ER. I'll have hope for you though, no matter how it turns out. Blessings to you hon.

Thank you all, yes the took test prior but it came out negative, it was to early on. The stomach was every time I would cough near my incision. Doc said my hormone was in the 400s, hoping for the best too. I can't help but think if there's a possibility of the baby surriving.

Thank you all, yes the took test prior but it came out negative, it was to early on. The stomach was every time I would cough near my incision. Doc said my hormone was in the 400s, hoping for the best too. I can't help but think if there's a possibility of the baby surriving.

Keep us updated and good luck to you!

Talk to your surgeon about drugs administered during your surgery and see if any are harmful to a fetus. If you decide to remain pregnant, get with your nutritionist right away to alter your diet and caloric intake to support a healthy pregnancy. If you are not sure you want to continue with the pregnancy, you have about 5-6 weeks to make that decision.

Good luck, and if you want private support or someone to talk to, feel free to PM me!

Get onto your doctor immediately and organise consultant led care. Find out if pregnancy test was done, if results were recorded and get legal advice. Hoping all is OK but you will probably be advised to expect a loss but also advised to ignore weight loss for time being due to surgery, healing etc.

Hi everyone, went to the ER today due to stomach pain because of non stop cough, turns out I have the flu and pneumonia AND pregnant, from the caluculations I had VSG done while I was pregnant. Now I'm scared anyone been in this situation before? Please share your experience. Since sx I've lost 36 pounds

Not had that experience but I wish you well whatever your path with this situation Hope the Drs are helpful and kind.

The pregnancy was in a very early stage when you had your surgery, possibly prior to implantation which would limit the amount of medications the fetus would have been exposed to. Is the 6 weeks based on u/s?

In your situation, I would first find out exactly what medications were used and the safety of them in pregnancy. But, be prepared that most will have "unknown effects" as drugs aren't tested on pregnant women.

The second consideration would be speaking to a nutritionist asap about what changes will need to be made to your diet and Vitamin plan. Don't worry too much about the weight loss at this point, many people lose weight in the early stages of pregnancy.

Hoping for the best!

The rapid hormone release from weight loss could also be giving a false positive result. I wouldn't bank too much on it until you get an exam and ultrasound done.

The rapid hormone release from weight loss could also be giving a false positive result. I wouldn't bank too much on it until you get an exam and ultrasound done.

Weight loss cannot cause a spike in hCG. This particular hormone is only present during pregnancy and is what gives a positive result on a pregnancy test. Seeing that the OP said her levels were at 400, she's seen a practitioner and confirmed the pregnancy with a blood test.