Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 months post op...CAN'T EAT!!!

I am six months post op and am very happy to have lost 70 lbs, however, I am not able to eat most foods that I should be eating at this time. I should be eating lean meats and veggies but can't. I understand that my portions are going to be tiny but I continue to try to eat meats and it usually comes back up after two small bites. I got my gal bladder removed after getting x-rays, ultra sounds and an endoscopy which all showed everything was fine. They only found a few gal stones. Still nothing has changed. I went back to my doc today and he said I should be careful what I wished for bc I have had such great weight loss and that is why I got the surgery. He said it takes some people up to a year to start tolerating meats and veggies. I am so frustrated bc I am so hungry but the only thing I can safely eat and not puke is pop corn. Help!! Has anyone else gone through this? Does it get better?

I have been having some difficulty. I just made 5 months a few days ago. I eat meat but i think I've just been denying how hard its been which is why I just haven't been eating or eating the worst choices when i do. But if im being honest with myself, most things are uncomfortable going down. And most meals i do manage now come up more times than not lately. I haven't consulted my surgeon because i feel like it's me overeating and eating too fast. I think i get too hungry and im not judging well. So i need to work harder on...well everything. Have you tried going back to puree or soft phase? I always have to do liquids and soft foods if I've gone too long without eating. Everything is really hard to go down and it just feels tight and after 2 or 3 small bites i feel like I'm going to explode and it will sometimes come back up. I haven't been stressing it too much but not getting my daily....anything is starting to worry me.

Well I am eating slow and not too much. But yea, just in general eating is an unpleasant experience. Makes me sad. Just hope a day will come when I can enjoy a small portion of a variety of foods...waiting.

Its hard and i knew it would be but trying to grasp something you just know nothing about is really hard. I haven't eaten today. I had most of a shake but i kept forgetting to drink it (i babysit 5 kids and eating just isn't high on my list of priorities at times) and even THAT was kind of hard going down. But i have hope that we will overcome this and one day probably wish for these days back lol.

Yea, I keep hearing that. I should be careful what I wish for but my biggest fear was that I would not be able to enjoy food again and my surgeon ensure me that I would but just in really small portions.

That doesn't sound good, I'm so sorry to read what you've been going through. I'm also glad you've been working with your surgeon. My only recommendation is to just keep experimenting and trying. Try fish, seafood, soft meats and eggs maybe? I don't pay any attention to veggies. I take my Vitagene supplements and then only focus on Protein and Water. I was also told it can take 6 months to a year to find a new normal. I still can't eat beef without feeling like I want to die.

I am trying. I can only eat raw fish (sushi) and have to be careful with it as well, can also eat raw oysters. But no eggs or soft meats. I am able to drink lots. It helps to know that it does seem pretty normal and makes me worry less. That I am thankful for.

If only for nutrition and stating you are fine with drinking, has your surgeon suggested making juices. I am not saying for a moment to stop trying with food but just to get some nourishment in. Also stick with Protein Drinks if you can. Go back to what you could last tolerate... purée or soft foods.

I really feel for you and hope you manage to resolve this soon.

Kate

meat was hard for me after surgery too. Try gardien meat. It meatless vegan meat. It supper good. I was able to handle them alot better. And they have Protein in it.

HW: 420 (January 2016)
CW: 273 (March 2017)

Instagram: vsg_queendiet

I have been fortunate I must say. No issues with food coming back up or the inability to tolerate certain foods. In the beginning, I'll admit eating was just uncomfortable. I felt like even if I fixed myself a saucer sized plate of food i still couldn't eat it all. I had to learn to be ok eating 2-3 bites of food and stop. I made sure to enjoy those 3 bites and walk away. If I had to come back to it in an hour sobeit. Now at 8 mos out. I can eat more not much more but I notice I can drink more Water in one sitting, or eat a 1/2 cup of chicken chili whereas i could not before. I could drink 3 sips at best and maybe 1/4 of chili maybe even less. But be OK with only having 2 bites of something. Then come back to it in 30 min and have another bite or 2. Over time it'll get better. Take advantage of it in the meanwhile. Just make sure its a protein! Whichever one you can handle.

Sent from my SM-G900P using the BariatricPal App

You r very lucky that you can't eat & lost such great amount of weight! I also hed surgery 6 months ago & lost only 40 lb the first 2 months now I'm starting to gain back already !!! I can eat everything & as much as I want with almost no restriction I really wanna sue my surgeon I feel he performed a surgery for no good reason

Hi, I am glad I found this thread. I had RN-Y on April 3rd of this year. I have lost 87 pounds since my surgery. That's great and wonderful but, I cannot eat ANYTHING. Well, I can eat a few crackers for some reason but nothing else. I am hydrated but, I can't even drink Protein Shakes. I throw them up. I can drink Water and unsweet tea.

They say nothing is wrong with me. I throw up constantly. Even if I just sip chicken broth. Is this as normal as the docs say? I've known a lot of people to have this same surgery and they were eating small portions of regular food 6-8 weeks post op. Do I need to go find a new doctor?

BTW, I take my chewables and frequently keep those down throughout the day.

13 hours ago, Boudicca17 said:

I throw up constantly. Even if I just sip chicken broth. Is this as normal as the docs say?

No, this is not normal! Did the docs do any tests? You need to have some tests run, looking at the inside of your stomach to see what is going on. It could be a stricture, or a problem with your intestines.. all kinds of things can go wrong, and it may not be easy to find the answer, but it is important that your doctors are willing to keep trying to find it.

Well, I'm now 5 months out. I've lost 110 pounds. I still cannot eat and I am very weak. Dr says everything looks fine. He has no answer for my weakness. I go see my cardiologist nex weak. I hope he can figure it out.

Hey, I just saw you're in Easton. I lived there for a few years and graduated from Easton High! I live in Western Maryland now (since '99).

Where did you get surgery done?