Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

11 months post-op and looking for buddies

Hello All! A little about myself, had my VSG on April 18, 2016 at Miriam Hospital in Providence Rhode island, surgeon was Dr. V (Vithiananthan), started getting heavy when I was 7 and have a family history of all of the women in my family being heavy and I wanted to live past 50, so at 42 years old and 220 pounds, my heaviest being 248 with me being a short person I knew what I needed to do. I I knew it wouldn't be easy and it still isn't it took some time to get me down to 163 and I'm still having trouble with stalls and someone to kick me in the rear end and get me on track. With a boyfriend who loves to cook and loves to eat even more it's hard for me to do what I know I'm supposed to it's even harder but I don't have a walking buddy in my area., I'm the kind of person who if I have conversation while I'm walking I won't even realize I'm moving but with no one to distract me from what I'm doing it's less likely that I'm going to do anything and I'm sure I'm not the only person who's like this, and that is why I could really use the help from a buddy or 2., I know I'm still a ways from my goal of 120 pounds but was my next follow-up appointment with the surgeon being on April 4th I would really like to be down to 150., I know it's not unreasonable but for me it's very hard to do without some kind of support system. Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my plea.

anything worth doing is Never easy

Hi Shamrock, I know what you mean about needing to be distracted while you walk, I'm the same way. I started listening to audio books when music want distracting me anymore.

I had my vsg Feb 2016 and am down to 162 from 228. I had a devastating loss in the family last Sept and I'm just now starting to recover. My almost daughter in law suddenly died at 26 yrs old and I didn't realize how much support she was giving me. She was set to have her vsg in Oct.

My biggest issue is I have found I'm addicted to snacking (mostly at night) and haven't found a way to stop it. It doesn't have to be junk food. I can snack away on Protein Bars or cheese but I end up not realizing I'm out of room until I'm ready to be sick. I never thought I had this problem but it's so clear to me now. Just need a solution.

One day at a time :)

I think that also what makes it harder for me is that I eat the proper portions and then about a half an hour to 45 minutes late it I actually feel hungry, before my surgery the doctor said I would never feel like I was starving again but within 45 minutes of eating that's exactly how I feel is as if I'm starving so that doesn't really add to me making progress but just because I feel hungry I don't always eat it's hard though not to give in, of course there is some cases when I do give in and it's a little bit of ice cream or a pudding pack but usually I try something healthy like a couple of Triscuits or a banana or some peanuts but can't do have those if they are not in the house

anything worth doing is Never easy [emoji3]

I get that too but it's more if what I call "mental hungry". I'm not physically hungry even though my brain thinks I am but mentally I'm convinced I'm hungry so about 1-2 he's after eating I'm looking for something else. Someone told me that it's a habit that is what has to be broken. Before surgery I always felt physically hungry so my brain is conditioned too always thinking it's hungry. Now that we don't get that physical hunger, or brain is working overtime making us think we're hungry. I have yet to figure out how to overcome this except not keeping things I have a habit of snacking on including some flavors of Protein bars.

I snack too at night so I found some ice pops I just am obsessed with. They are sugar free slush pops. Walmart sells them. They are a peach and pink color. They sell slush pops also that have sugar. So use caution, I combine one of them with two Popsicle brand s/f Pop that is 15 calories and it keeps my cal. Under 100.

Yeah not all the hunger goes away. It's so easy to graze and fit food in.
What helps me is weighing out my food. You should be able to fit 4 -6 oz of food in now.
I meal prep every Sunday and plan ahead what I'm going to eat so I keep on track.
Have you ask your boyfriend if he walk 45 minutes with you couple days a week?

HW: 420 (January 2016)
CW: 273 (March 2017)

Instagram: vsg_queendiet

I have asked my bf to walk with me but I feel like he makes excuses, he's a foot taller than me and insists that he walks at a pace that I wouldn't be able to keep up with, I almost feel sometimes that he's trying to sabotage me

I had my 1 year follow up with my surgeon's office yesterday (Surgiversary is actually April 18), am still stuck in the 160's, but they told me because of the weight loss calculator that we use before our surgeries to know what to expect our weights to be, with mine saying I should be in the 160's, they told me that breaking through the next 10 to 15 pounds is going to be the hardest, even though I've been stuck in the high 160's since November. And even though the bf won't walk with me, my mom said just last night that she will.,planning on daily walks of roughly a mile or so to start.

16 hours ago, Shrinking_Shamrock said:

am still stuck in the 160'

I'm in the same boat. I keep going between 161 - 165. It's been one year this post Feb. I Just can't get below the 161 but I'm sure that's because I havent been to the gym in 6 months and with winter I stopped taking walks (I usually take my dog with me). I'm also still working on the food grazing. I've come to the realization that I'm a compulsive eater (even if I can't eat all that much of it) so I've been attending online overeaters anonymous meetings. The sleeve got me this far but now I need additional tools to move me past this point. Now that the weather is getting nice I've been taking walks Burt nothing consistent yet.

The walks will help but are not the key thing to get you to your weight goal. Your diet is the key. Can you drop carbs for 2 weeks and see how that goes? Swap a tea for snacking at night. I used to snack while watching Tv but now I drink lots of herbal tea instead. Keep a food journal for 2 weeks and see where the carbs and sugars are coming from and try to swap in with Protein. Good luck! Keep at it! You've already made great progress!

I already try to limit my carbs not as easy as I just hoped it would be though b/c the bf insists on some form of carb with every single meal, I try to eat my Protein first and my veggies and a few bites of the carb but sometimes it is verrry tempting and I end up having more of it than I should., when I do snack I try stuff like wasabi peas, peanuts, sesame sticks, dried or fresh fruits, but having him sitting right next to me drives me nuts when I see him snacking on Cookies, ice cream and all those sweets and goodies that I can't/shouldn't have., And can't really escape seeing him snack, we live in an apartment the same size as an exam room