Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Help - Not restricting

Good afternoon all,

Prior to reading further, if you are going to judge me and tell me that it's my fault and that I don't have any self control...spare yourself the time typing and just move on.

I had the Gastric Band procedure in August 2013. Did ok but that last year and a half just could not find the "sweet spot" and either it was too restrictive or not restrictive enough. After numerous discussions with my surgeon, we decided that the revision from band to sleeve was the way to go. In June 2016 my Gastric Band was removed, gave my stomach a couple months to recover and in August 2016 I went in for the Gastric Sleeve procedure. I find that there is very little restriction to the amount of food or liquids I can consume. I am absolutely a "stress" eater and many times (most times) I eat whether or not I'm hungry. I was under the impression that since my stomach was going to be 1/8th the original size, that I would have NO CHOICE and be unable to eat when full. That has not happened and I'm very disappointed. I don't know if I unintentionally stretched my stomach or what. Has anyone else have these issues?

Many thanks!

Hi Why do you think it's not working?Have you lost any weight?

Are you eating Protein first? Protein is the food that will make you feel full. If you are eating junk foods then you can probably eat a lot more. Are you drinking while you eat?

10 hours ago, iamOpalicious said:

Hi Why do you think it's not working?Have you lost any weight?

The 2 months between the band removal and the sleeve I think I gained 25 lbs. following the sleeve I pretty much dropped that 25 lbs but that's about it. I was under the impression that when you have the sleeve procedure, your desire to eat is diminished due to some "transmitters" that send messages to your brain about hunger are removed. But also, the fact that the stomach is so much smaller they make it sound as if it's impossible to eat.

8 hours ago, Jen-2+1 said:

Are you eating Protein first? Protein is the food that will make you feel full. If you are eating junk foods then you can probably eat a lot more. Are you drinking while you eat?

Good morning! I could start with protein, rolled up slices of turkey or similar and you would think after a few slices I should feel "physically" full though I do not. Unfortunately, my poor eating habits don't stop me. Many times I do drink liquids shortly before or shortly after those seldomly at the same time. Prior to the surgery, a lot of people said it's tough to drink 64 ounces throughout an entire day. I love Water and there seems to be no limit to the amount that I can drink.

The 2 months between the band removal and the sleeve I think I gained 25 lbs. following the sleeve I pretty much dropped that 25 lbs but that's about it. I was under the impression that when you have the sleeve procedure, your desire to eat is diminished due to some "transmitters" that send messages to your brain about hunger are removed. But also, the fact that the stomach is so much smaller they make it sound as if it's impossible to eat.

Well here's the thing, I was just leave in December and I've only lost which I think is not a whole lot 25 to 30 pounds. So my hunger subsided for the first month but now it's back. My stomach actually growls which is rarely did before I was sleeved. So what I'm thinking is maybe you need to increase your activity more and as another blogger said increase your Protein watch your carbs and I don't know if this is a no-no but I don't think that taking appetite suppressants is a bad idea if we are still having issues with control. I know for me I cannot eat a whole lot without feeling really gassy and uncomfortable and as I said I am just about nine weeks post op. I'm 44 I think over all my body has slowed down my metabolism is always slow, but now I think with my age my body is not responding as quickly to the change. But I am hopeful that within the next six or so months I'll have lost a significant amount of weight. This month I'm starting my walking and for Lent I'm giving up fried foods which I can't eat a lot of anyway and increasing my veggies and keeping my Protein intake high and trying to meet my Water goal. I really don't think you're doing anything wrong we just might need to increase the things that we know are beneficial such as exercise and eating every two or so hours drinking that Water then making sure that we get adequate amount of protein and this few carbs possible.

That is so strange.. I am post 6 weeks and can barely eat 4 bites of anything.. As for drinking water!.. loved Water prior to surgery.. can't stand it now because it taste like lead. Do I get hungry... YES.. but am basically living on oatmeal.. soups.. eggs.. some fruit and Snapple Peach Diet.. I can't tolerate anything else. I am down 47 pds. So I can't imagine what is going on with your sleeve.. but don't get discouraged.... stay focused.

Sounds like my 100%.
I never had the lap-band. But I am sleeved. 2.5 years out. But, I too ( since I was about 12-18 months post op) feel I don't get full when I eat. I know I eat to fast and don't chew enough. But, I just watched a video from a dr. that said after the brain stomach response regulated itself again we can eat more that's normal. I wish I could send it to you. Because I am sure I'm botching it up.
Either way, what you and I are feeling is hard. I can eat Peanut Butter and carrots till the cow comes home. But, one hamburger and only the bottom bun I feel I could burst! Crazy.
I also hear the stomach can not stretch.
Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I tell you I can't wait for this time to go by quickly.. eating three or four bites of food is so depressing. I find myself stressing every morning as to what on earth am I going to eat today... honestly feel the medical team who approve Patients for this surgery fail to properly prepare us for what is coming, specifically the mental health aspect of this process. The only thing keeping me sane is the fact so many of you guys have reassured me it will get better and with time will be able to eat more normal like with time. It's going to be a long year for me.. Still crave food.. get hungry less then two hours after I took my few bites.. please tell me this is temporary

If you research band to sleeve revision, it seems to be common to not have as much restriction and have slower weight loss. Why that happens, I have no idea, but it seems to be a common thing I've seen. I've seen a lot of successful band to sleeves, and some that struggle because of that.

Have you spoken to your surgeon about this? Maybe have him check the sleeve just to see how it looks and if it is in fact too big?

11 minutes ago, joannrmn said:

I tell you I can't wait for this time to go by quickly.. eating three or four bites of food is so depressing. I find myself stressing every morning as to what on earth am I going to eat today... honestly feel the medical team who approve Patients for this surgery fail to properly prepare us for what is coming, specifically the mental health aspect of this process. The only thing keeping me sane is the fact so many of you guys have reassured me it will get better and with time will be able to eat more normal like with time. It's going to be a long year for me.. Still crave food.. get hungry less then two hours after I took my few bites.. please tell me this is temporary

You can eat more normal with time. And you'll WISH for the days of being full on a couple of bites. I had a 2 egg omelette this morning with veggies and ate the whole thing.

:rolleyes: That sounds so good to me right now..But I don't that I'll wish for that of being full with a couple of bites.. Not that I plan to overeat and waste all this work I have put into this, but just knowing that I will with time be able to enjoy a meal again gives me hope. Thank you so much for the support.. can't tell you how much this site has meant to my sanity.. You know what I miss the most is pizza .. is and will always be my favorite thing in the world.. do you eat pizza now..

Hi,I am about a year and a half out of wks the sleeve,since day one I have been super hungry.i have only lost 20lbs. So far.I think it might be an over active grelin hormone.i am so depressed don't know how much I can take.wondering if I can shrink my stomach again.I never had 1once of support while I have had my surgery.can anyone help me here! Please.

First I had the lap band done in January 2010, paid for it myself. I lost 115 lbs with the lap band..had it removed in July 2014 due to slippage. Gained 40 lbs in 5 months, decided to look into the sleeve that was offered through my insurance. I had sleeve in Aug 2015 & first 6 weeks to 12 weeks went well with no exercise, then the stress eating from going back to work began. I have always been a stress eater, and I do work out a lot which could have actually made this more difficult for my situation....

The first year, I had only lost 25 - 30 lbs, weight fluctuated back and forth a lot. I thought I had stretched my stomach too because I could eat all day if I spread it out. I had meal plans to follow with 800 calories per day with healthy stuff but kept getting hungry because of the exercise I had been doing. That's when the easy to pick up bag of cheese puffs began.....? Doctor I had, basically considered my surgery a "failure." He said "someone who hadn't had the surgery could have lost 25 lbs."

Jan 2017, I was 173 lbs, I had gained over holidays and enjoyed Jamaica drinks in December and my birthday cake in January ?Turning 43 years old.

After much research over this last 18 months, explaining my surgeries to people that work at supplement stores, and getting back to work with my former personal trainer, my weight is finally going back down. I stopped seeing my nutritionist like 6 months ago, it was me that had to figure out and learn the signs and symptoms of what my body needed. I also used the information given or learned on my own about sleeve, heart rate zones, Protein intake recommendations etc.

i regretted sleeve surgery, but it was too late.. I had to figure this out!!

Currently I do strength training at 5 am on M-W-F, which means i get up at 4 am.. I hate getting up early!!!!!! I work a full time job Mon through Friday and it takes 45 min each way to work. Between mon and sat, I go to gym 4 other evenings on my own time and do 25 min in sauna and 45 min on the stair master.. the sleeve is tough but be patient, learn more about your own body's needs, and keep at it..YOU WILL GET THERE!!!! I originally started at 306 lbs in Jan 2010, was 205 lbs in Aug 2015, and today 2 MARCH 2017, I weigh 164.7 lbs ?Thank you for listening... I've been looking for support groups lately because I was in desperate need..I knew I couldn't be the only one that was frustrated...GOOD JOB EVERYONE!!!???

Thanks for your story of hope sometimes I struggle with eating the wrong things like sweets but I don't want to go back to were I was it's been six months I've lost 75lb I've also started working out sometimes that's a struggle I guest the bottom line is is spite of how I feel I can't give up

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App