Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost as hell [emoji17][emoji19]

First and foremost thank you for taking the time to read this, and if you have any suggestion, please throw them my way.

I had my surgery on 1/18/17 no problems other then the blessed gas pains. My SW was 247, my CW is 224; so that's 23 lbs lost. I am at a 4 weeks post-op. I think that about covers the general things.

I saw my surgeon on the 24th of January for my first week post-op check up. He gave me the green light to do puréed/soft foods for 2 weeks to move on to regular food. Honestly I just looked a him like he was crazy because that would put me at 3 weeks post-op and eat regular food so quick??!?!!??!?!?

And I can say that I am struggling with the food/protein/liquids with everything. I haven't met any of the liquid/protein goals that is required since surgery. At first it was just a struggle getting the volume of liquids in. Now, it's just a freaking struggle eating in general by following the doctor's order and moving so fast. Surprisingly enough I don't have a problem with solids so far. As long as I don't overeat or eat too fast, learn that damn lesson quick. I generally stick to eating Protein first and if I have room for veggie alright, but I try to stay away from carbs and sugar.

I did all my pre-op requirements with another surgeon's office but because of somethings that came to light, I switched doctors. The surgeon that did my surgery doesn't have an in house NUT that I can call and talk with. I am looking for my own NUT, but I need help now. I don't know what to do or where to start. The NUT from the other office, well let's just say that the visits only lasted like 5 mins when I had to see her.

I know there isn't any real questions here, but I am bit lost as hell. I seriously need help.

First of all, it sounds like you're doing fine.

Second, don't feel like you have to advance your diet yet, just know you can. Eat what you have confidence in eating. This early out, the only thing you need to worry about is Water and Protein. Everything else comes in time. Believe me, in a couple more months you'll barely remember the issues you're having now.

Now, as far as food goes, my nutritionist said to keep it to 800 calories in the weight loss phase. There are a lot of opinions about this, but it's worked for me. You're doing Protein first and then a veggie, so that's perfect.

Go to http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com for recipes and tips. She's an amazing resource and a very nice person who has been very successful with WLS.

Read over her blog and see if you can formulate concrete questions which might be easier for people to answer.

Three weeks to eating anything sounds pretty fast to me. I have clear liaises and Protein Shakes for three weeks (can add yogurt at start of week 3). Then three weeks of purée/soft Protein, then allowed to regular. I agree with Vinasu, take your time, your body will let you know.

At 3 weeks, I was eating cottage cheese, yogurt, applesauce, well cooked veggies, eggs, cheese and Beans. At 3.5 weeks I was also able to add fish and nuts. By 4 weeks, I was eating chicken. I am 4.5 weeks out now, and I no longer need Protein Shakes. I can meet my daily Protein goals by eating all real food. It was the chicken that really gave me a protein boost to get off the shakes. Also, I was told not to worry about calories right now. My focus is 60g of protein, and at least 64oz of Water. The protein is no problem for me anymore, but the water is like a full time job trying to get it all in every day!

On 2/17/2017 at 0:22 AM, Vinasu said:

First of all, it sounds like you're doing fine.

Second, don't feel like you have to advance your diet yet, just know you can. Eat what you have confidence in eating. This early out, the only thing you need to worry about is Water and Protein. Everything else comes in time. Believe me, in a couple more months you'll barely remember the issues you're having now.

Now, as far as food goes, my nutritionist said to keep it to 800 calories in the weight loss phase. There are a lot of opinions about this, but it's worked for me. You're doing Protein first and then a veggie, so that's perfect.

Go to http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com for recipes and tips. She's an amazing resource and a very nice person who has been very successful with WLS.

Read over her blog and see if you can formulate concrete questions which might be easier for people to answer.

Vinasu, I am doing fine, I don't have any stomach issues whatsoever but I'm struggling with finding the correct foods to eat. I'm not a cook and that's my major problem. That food I usually find at home is all high in carbs low in protein so I need to learn how to cook all my foods. I don't want to fall into the past mistakes. My cravings haven't gone away; I'm just smart enough to NOT cave in 99.9% of the times. I looked through the Eggface's blog, thank you for that. It's a great starting point for healthy foods I'm looking for. Also, I'm not rushing to jump into regular eating, as weird as it might sound I actually enjoy the restrictions that I have right now.

Edited by Finding_me

On 2/17/2017 at 3:40 AM, sleevinpops said:

Three weeks to eating anything sounds pretty fast to me. I have clear liaises and Protein shakes for three weeks (can add yogurt at start of week 3). Then three weeks of purée/soft Protein, then allowed to regular. I agree with Vinasu, take your time, your body will let you know.

Sleevinpops, three weeks is fast, I did question his sanity when he told me that. I am taking my time I made that mistake of advancing too fast. It's not an experience that I want to repeat.

You could search o clinic Sydney on google and they have set out meal plans on their website (under the band but same for sleeve) it has so much information and you can print them off. They are amazong

On 2/17/2017 at 0:03 PM, FindingCarrie said:

At 3 weeks, I was eating cottage cheese, yogurt, applesauce, well cooked veggies, eggs, cheese and Beans. At 3.5 weeks I was also able to add fish and nuts. By 4 weeks, I was eating chicken. I am 4.5 weeks out now, and I no longer need Protein shakes. I can meet my daily Protein goals by eating all real food. It was the chicken that really gave me a protein boost to get off the shakes. Also, I was told not to worry about calories right now. My focus is 60g of protein, and at least 64oz of Water. The protein is no problem for me anymore, but the Water is like a full time job trying to get it all in every day!

FindingCarrie, I stuck with yogurt, applesauce, scrambled eggs and puréed Beans. I slowly incorporated chicken and fish, my pouch doesn't agree too much with beef. It feels like I ate stones. I still need the Protein Shakes though, better to be safe then sorry. I'm not concentrating on calories only because I'm struggling with just protein intake and fluids. I understand the struggle with water, I am horrible with it as well.

I had the same green light from my Doctor, and it worked out very well for me. I had to travel for a week and was very intimidated to attempt to have a liquid diet on the road with a busy schedule. Not that it is impossible, but taking clients out to dinner etc, wasn't practical either.

I did make good food choices with lot's of Soups, Protein Bars, scrambled eggs, etc... I have not had much restriction from day one, so it is relatively easy for me to have normal foods.

More important for me than what I CAN eat, is knowing and choosing the foods I should eat. That is where the battle is won and lost long term. Post op we are all excited to lose the weight and experience our new body. But if you fast forward 6 months, what changes? Fast forward again 2, 5, 10 years, what changes? I am still a food addict no matter how in the future I go, so I need to make good food choices right now and work with my surgery to re-learn how to eat appropriately.

As far as a NUT, I think many are great, but I was not impressed with the one at my DR office. Any NUT who tells me to fill up on fake sugars and Jello, I think is off base. I personally don't believe overloading your system on fake sugars is wise, as it is usually just a matter of time before they go back to the real sugars, not to mention the toxins most of them cause in your body. (I do use stevia and Xylitol) Being a sugar addict, I know it works to lose weight in the short term, but likely not ideal to contribute to long-term success.)

Currently, I am doing a Keto diet which I like for a lot of reasons. My only advise is to keep up the great work in searching for answers, and continue to do more soul searching with your diet choices, as you get help from others including NUTs.

Hope this helps.

Edited by BigUtahMan

[mention=307122]BigUtahMan[/mention] I am learning that my sleeve doesn't have the advantages regarding restrictions/not have cravings/hunger. At 6 weeks out, I'm able to pretty much eat anything and everything without consequences, unless I overeat then I'm in pain.

That I am able to eat like that is really scary for me because the whole purpose of this was to change how I eat. I understand that this is where the mind over matter thing kicks in but these cravings are kicking my butt. I don't like substitute sugar at all I would prefer to just drink it unsweetened completely or infused with some kind of fruit. A NUT is becoming a evil necessity for me and my insurance only covers 3 visits a year, though I was told if I could find a NUT that charge the insurance as a office visit and not a NUT office visit then I would be fine. How I'm going to work this is beyond me.

Thank you for all your advise and telling me some of your experience it helps that I'm not going "crazy" alone.

[mention=310321]Sleeveforme2017[/mention] I'm at 6 weeks right now, it's just scary to see that I can fall a back into the bad habits of eat mindlessly when I'm bored or not busy enough. I'm able to eat almost anything I want without any problems. But it's good to know my doctor isn't crazy to suggest eating so early.

@Poppybelle12 Thank you. I looked up the clinic and I printed out the PDF that had on the website.

[mention=307122]BigUtahMan[/mention] I am learning that my sleeve doesn't have the advantages regarding restrictions/not have cravings/hunger. At 6 weeks out, I'm able to pretty much eat anything and everything without consequences, unless I overeat then I'm in pain.
That I am able to eat like that is really scary for me because the whole purpose of this was to change how I eat. I understand that this is where the mind over matter thing kicks in but these cravings are kicking my butt. I don't like substitute sugar at all I would prefer to just drink it unsweetened completely or infused with some kind of fruit. A NUT is becoming a evil necessity for me and my insurance only covers 3 visits a year, though I was told if I could find a NUT that charge the insurance as a office visit and not a NUT office visit then I would be fine. How I'm going to work this is beyond me.
Thank you for all your advise and telling me some of your experience it helps that I'm not going "crazy" alone.

You are welcome, I hope it helps. Something I learned about myself these past few weeks.

1 - my cravings were carb and sugar based. Once I stopped consuming those, the cravings disappeared. (Did not know it was possible, still in shock)

2 - Without cravings, why I eat, what I eat, how much I eat can now be analyzed. ( if I eat to solve cravings, it's like I am doing whatever I have to to get my next fix. which does not allow the state of mind open for learning or change.)

3- I know how much I NEED, so why am I tempted to eat more? What emotional payoff am I expecting.

I still have bad days. (Learning opportunities) But I can say I have more hope.

If you can get off carbs, I highly recommend it to see if that changes things for you.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It sounds like you are doing better than you feel like you are. It's pretty common to be scared of all the decisions we have to make and of falling back into old habits!

My program emphasized getting at LEAST 48 Fluid ounces (preferably 60 fl oz) of noncafeinated liquids in each day. They repeatedly told us dehydration was the MOST common cause of complications & having to go back into the hospital. They said that not meeting Protein goals at first won't cause you lasting harm, whereas not meeting fluid goals can kill you

I hope having that info helps!

Hang in there, you are doing great