Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I met with my nutritionist yesterday and we discussed my sleeve surgery planned for May/June. She explained to me that my cravings for sweets (versus food in large quantities) may better be handled by bypass surgery versus sleeve. Anyone else been told that? Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Makes sense if you end up someone who dumps...it becomes negative reinforcement. Not everyone dumps though. I do.

What's your sweet tooth entail? what do you like, how often, for how long?

As far as my sweet tooth... I like having something sweet after dinner- like ice cream or chocolate or a piece of cake. I will sometimes even skip dinner and have dessert instead- like a pint of Ben and Jerry's. I've been better since I started my supervised diet and have found lower-calories options like Halo Top ice cream, but I still enjoy having some type of sweet several days a week and I know that I have to stop all sweets to lose weight and especially after surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

This is a difficult one.

1. tastes change after both surgeries
2. Not everyone dumps after bypass
3. Some people dump after sleeve
4. Bypass would help long term in not absorbing all the calories from sweets
5. But, because of 2+4, bypass people might get too comfortable continuing to eat sweets...leading to weight gain.

These are confounding generalities...

But, as for you, specifically, are you diabetic or prediabetic? Have you always had a sweet tooth, or has it gotten worse?

I never had a huge sweet tooth until I became prediabetic. The condition changed my cravings..

And, do you have heartburn, acid reflux, GERD?

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using the BariatricPal App

Your surgeon may be referring to the Pavlovian conditioning inherent with the bypass and dumping syndrome. If you experience dumping in all of it's glory, believe me - you will think twice before eating anything that could cause it again. I had the sleeve and I experienced it the first time I had what I thought was a bariatric friendly coffee smoothie. The awful flush feeling, drooling and eventual vomiting cured me of ever doing that again.

I have found that most people who have an over reliance on the tool itself to prevent them from eating certain foods as opposed to utilizing to the tool along side a total change in lifestyle usually struggle with success in the long run.

Get whatever surgery you think is best for you, and utilize the tool, don't depend on it. Dependence will let you down every time.

I had a serious sweet tooth before surgery and had ice cream almost nightly! I've found that I don't crave sweets like I once did, I rarely am hungry after dinner to want a sweet and on rare occasions, I do treat myself. For example I went out with hubby last weekend and had a couple bites of his Lemon Bar. It satisfied me both physically and mentally!

Edited by Sullie06