Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My insurance didn't require anything like that but my surgeon required an 8% loss and it took me way longer then it should have (finally met it last appt). Life got in the way - we moved unexpectedly and I used to be a stress eater (working on that) so I maintained for a few months. I've been in my program for 8 months and should be getting a date soon.

Honestly, I'm glad I had to wait. I say that now, lol. It has definitely been frustrating, I thought I'd be sleeved by Sept/Oct and down a big chunk by this point, maybe close to goal by Summer. But I know that by having to wait, I'm much more mentally ready then I would have been even 3-4 months ago.

But that's just me. I know firsthand how much waiting sucks when you make the decision! I was supposed to go in for my scheduling appt tomorrow and they cancelled it due to Dr emergency. No idea when I'll get back in - so frustrating!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

Edited by SarahSleeve

I has to wait the 6 months but really it's 8 months for me because I started my journey July 7 2016 and my surgery is March 6 2017. I'm a few weeks away I've waited this long lol I'm ready. I can't wait to be on the losers side. It flew by fast. Take the time to research, educate yourself on everything you need to do. Before you know it it will be time.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N900T using the BariatricPal App

I agree with previous posters. I had to wait 6 months (no loss required) and I am very thankful I had that time to research the hell out of the surgery and prepare mentally.

But most of all I used it as my last real effort to lose the weight without surgery. I busted my a$$ at the gym, I ate healthy food, gave up Diet Coke and alcohol (those were the last to go). :) I ended up getting a lot stronger and healthier which made surgery and recovery a lot safer and faster. But I didn't lose any weight at all... That more than anything proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that I needed the surgery.

Sent from my XT1585 using the BariatricPal App

One day at a time. Start focusing on make changes to your diet. It goes by fast. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am on month 4 of 6, but technically it is 7 months as my insurance requires 180 days. The time has gone by so fast. I've lost weight and joined a gym.

I am trying to get stronger so when it's time for surgery I will be ready. Also the more weight I lose now, the less I will have to lose after surgery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

I knew all along that my insurance would require the six month pre-op diet program. So, I decided to make the most of it. I lost 99 pounds (from 397 to 298) during that time. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. I was as prepared as possible for the surgery; I re-established my relationship with food, and I set myself up for continued success post-op.

In the 4 months since the surgery, I have lost almost an additional 70 pounds for a total of almost 77% of my excess weight since I started my journey. I can't imagine having to re-establish my relationship with food and deal with the aftermath of surgery all at the same time. Also, dealing with the 3 week stall (that everyone has) was so much easier when I had lost 120 pounds (at that time) than if I had just lost 20 pounds. I wish more people could see the benefits of that six month period and not see it as a bad thing.

Anyway, I encourage you to get started now. The surgery is a tool, not a destination, and not the whole of your journey. The mental game is the biggest part of the journey, and the sooner you get that under control, the better off you will be.

Good luck!

Hey I have to wait the same amount of time for my insurance so I know exactly how you feel. It makes me very anxious and sometimes frustrating because other insurances are quicker. Just try to hang in there & do a countdown or do some writing or some type of activity to take your mind from it as much as possible if you can & good luck!????

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I need 7 months, and I'm 4 months in. I feel like it's dragging and it's making me crazy. My surgeon said he'd give me a tentative date

at my may appointment. I'm looking at surgery late may or early June, after approval.

I agree with previous posters. I had to wait 6 months (no loss required) and I am very thankful I had that time to research the hell out of the surgery and prepare mentally.

But most of all I used it as my last real effort to lose the weight without surgery. I busted my a$$ at the gym, I ate healthy food, gave up Diet Coke and alcohol (those were the last to go). :) I ended up getting a lot stronger and healthier which made surgery and recovery a lot safer and faster. But I didn't lose any weight at all... That more than anything proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that I needed the surgery.

Stronger and healthier, but no weight loss? Sounds to me you added muscle mass and that's always a GREAT thing! ...you know...the muscle burns the fat. I probably bet you lost some inches too. :D

Edited by Newme17

Stronger and healthier, but no weight loss? Sounds to me you added muscle mass and that's always a GREAT thing! ...you know...the muscle burns the fat. I probably bet you lost some inches too. :D
Yes I definitely lost inches, my endurance and energy skyrocketed, and I felt so much better. But by not losing weight I was still morbidly obese which increases all sorts of risk factors including early death and makes it much harder to get life insurance and with two small kids, for me, that is unacceptable. So I was very confident going into surgery that it was the right choice for me.

10 hours ago, GrrlAnn said:

Yes I definitely lost inches, my endurance and energy skyrocketed, and I felt so much better. But by not losing weight I was still morbidly obese which increases all sorts of risk factors including early death and makes it much harder to get life insurance and with two small kids, for me, that is unacceptable. So I was very confident going into surgery that it was the right choice for me.

I thought you were writing about me! LOL I lost inches but no weight (ok, maybe 4 pounds) but that was all in three months time. My doc says it wasn't coming off fast enough and so she sent me to the bariatric surgeon's office. I am thankful I have no co-morbidities, but the morbidly obese factor is enough to go through with this to prevent those from happening. I, too, have two small kids....it'll be the day when they ask "Mommy, where's your big belly?" ;) So waiting for that day!