Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My recovery has been horrible

I had my sleeve done on the 23rd. Since then, my energy is completely drained, right ear is muffled, and i voimitted for the 3rd time today. I had my 1st post op appointment yesterday and dr said everything is fine. But the couldn't even get a blood pressure reading cause the machine kept saying cos. Last night i had 1 grape and 1/4 cup of strained grape juice around 9 pm. Just now i voimitted that and its noon. Also i have this funny gas feeling by my stomach all the time and it only seems to be affected if i eat something. On top of not having the energy to walk, take a showe, going downstairs. Im completely miserable. Im stuck in bed while my city (houston) and friends are enjoying the beautiful weather and festivities. Im drinking alot. I even bought expensive Protein Jello. I should be starting puree foods on Monday but how can i when food refuses to make it past my stomach into my intestines

The drained energy is normal, I didn't boyne back from that until 3-4 weeks. It was a struggle. A B12 supplement helped a lot. It sounds like you have a sensitive sleeve. Are you getting in your Water? Protein Drinks? The gas feeling could also just be lingering, have you tried some chewable gas-x?

Did you say you ate a grape? It really is too early for any solids.

It sounds unusual to vomit some liquid up hours after you drank it.

Try to pay attention to how much stays down vs how much comes back up. (Measure your vomit, gross, I know... just keep a measuring cup with you to make the "deposit")

Try different liquids to see what you can tolerate. Water down the Protein shake or juices.

If you can't keep anything down except Water, you really need to tell the doc.. but it helps to have specifics.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon said to start with warm or room temperature fluids. Explained cold fluids cause stomach to stiffen which can cause problems.

Are you getting your protien? Your body needs at minimum 30 grams for healing. For my 2 wks post-op diet. I'm to drink at least one Premier Protien shake and 2 bottles of Water.< /p>

Also if you don't feed your body properly you will not have any energy.

It's like trying to drive a car without gas.

Hope things turn around for you soon.

I'm in my third week and on pureed food. I had/have all of these same symptoms. I had the chest pain too. It did stop eventually. I'd get up and walk around my house every time I got them. It helped a little.

I myself and having trouble getting my food down. I hope it gets better.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

I had my surgery on the 23rd also. It may be that the juice was too sugary. I tried apple juice and had the same issue so now I've just been drinking Water and tea. I bought unflavored Protein powder to mix into things because all the Protein shakes were too sweet for me. I did liquids for 2 weeks before surgery so after almost a month of thick, creamy sweet stuff I thought I would die! I'm on pureed food with limited soft foods now. Nutritionist said I can have scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, fish, tuna, stuff like that... As long as it can be easily mashed with a fork and chewed really well. So far, I think the liquids definitely sit better but luckily nothing can come back up yet. I think maybe calling the Dr and explaining that might be a good idea. You shouldn't be puking up everything. I think so far the part I'm struggling with is that I don't ever feel hungry. So I have to keep track and even set a timer or else I don't think I'd get in any calories. Even when I do "eat" outs such a small amount I feel like I'm not getting enough Protein (and I'm not) but I'm doing the best I can... There's just no room in my tummy. Anyway, hang in there. I do think it'll get easier.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Have you tried zofran for the vomiting? I would say your body is definitely telling you to slow down. You were only sleeved 3 days before me and I won't start purees for another 2 weeks. I haven't had anything like what you've had though. The first 4 days were miserable, but then I was fine as long as I kept my sips small and my liquids at body (not room) temperature. I haven't thrown up even once.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

Give yourself some time. This is an 8 week healing process. Give your body the time it needs. Eating solid food can make you very ill and put you back in the hospital. I'd suggest calling your doctor tomorrow and tell them what's been happening.

I see someone else mention the gracie juice thing. I agree, I think what you are eating is making you sick. Water, Protein shakes, broth. That's about it for me the first the weeks.

Edited by LittleLizzieLilliput

I had my sleeve on 1/23 as well, i can tell you i wouldn't even dream of trying a grape or even strained grape juice yet. I'm allowed on pureed food as of yesterday. I tried a pureed hard boiled egg with some mayo the night before that...i don't care if i never see one again...UGH However, looking back after trying chili last night, i know my mistake was trying too much of the egg. I pulled out the scale and weighed out 1 oz of chili, and slowly ate it with a spoon. BEST THING EVER! Then i tried another ounce, again slowly. I was able to eat 3 ozs in about an hour.

I would bet that you are trying too much too quickly. Slow and steady is the key from what i'm learning because if i drink too quickly, i feel horrible like the Fluid is coming back up my throat. Get your fluids in an ounce at a time every 10 mins or so. The same with the pureed food, measure and take your time, don't push yourself. Your stomach is like a closed fist with the swelling and maybe the size of a straw going through it. it needs to heal. (I watched a video on you tube, made so much sense after seeing that)

Good Luck! :)

Edited by Tami_819