Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How the Lap-Band actually works, fills and refills

I am like many of you who have not felt restriction after several fills. I went for my 4th fill this week. It does feel a little different, but I thought so last time, as well. I'm still on liquids, so I won't know anything just yet.

What is everyone else’s post fill diet like? I have to be on Clear Liquids two days, full liquids two days, soft foods for two days, and then to a regular diet. I half think that's the only reason I am losing any weight at all.

At least I have been walking. I have been walking 5 days/ week for 45 min-an hour. Still, I've only lost 26 pounds since I was banded in July.

I have a normal appetite and I can pretty much eat everything on my plate, although I try not to.

When I eat less, I am hungry a couple of hours later. I am worried this will happen when I get restriction. Someone asked about how it felt and I am wondering the same thing. Will I feel SATISFIED, or just uncomfortable?

I am also wondering the same thing - satisfied or uncomfortable? I have had 3 fills now and am at 5.5cc in a small (?10) band. I am only required to be on fluids for 24 hrs and then can eat as normal.

When you have the right restriction, you feel full on a small amount of food. You keep feeling full for several hours.

It's much harder to find restriction in the bigger bands. My band holds 4ccs

Hi everyone...so i got my surgery notes from my surgeon in MC so i can go in to my local Dr for my first fill, since i no longer feel any restriction. Its been 7 weeks since my surgery.

Im concerned because in the notes its written that i have 4.5 ML capacity band, and that during surgery, the surgeon had filled me with 2mL. That leaves me with 2.5 ML to play with for fills for the rest of my journey. I have 65 pounds to lose. How can this possibly happen? What if i reach capacity and feel no more restriction?

Does anybody else have such a small band and reached capacity?

I got my 5th fill today to take me up to 5 ccs in an 8 cc band. It's too early to tell whether this is the sweet spot since you really won't know until you eat a couple of meals and the restriction can vary from day to day.

Even before today's fill I definitely didn't have the same hunger I had before the band. Now the hunger monster is tamed, I need to figure out how to shut up that sweet tooth and that salty tooth and that bored tooth... the list goes on and on... Anyway, I think the band is doing its job, I just have to keep up with my end of the bargain.

I have a 10cc band with no fill in it.....I feel no difference than before the surgery, other than my port site is still a little sore :cursing:. I seem to be able to eat whatever I want in what ever quantities. My fear after reading this post is that it will take 5 or more fills to feel restriction! How do you guys cope with that? I am trying to stay with in 1500 calories, and have started to exercise. My motivation is that I don't want to give back 1 ounce of the 15lbs. I've already lost!

Edited by mrboswell

I hope it doesn't take 4 fills for me to feel restriction. It costs me $250 a fill and I'm starving all the time!!

I think this fill thing is a bit of a scam and a way for physicians to make $$$. There is no reason why physicians cannot be more aggressive with fills from the onset. So YOU need to be assertive in requesting.

sharon:_

mrboswell, we got through it because we had to; you will, too. Once you start getting fills you will feel some restriction and the hunger will abate. It may take up to 3 fills for that to happen depending on how senstive you are to fills and how aggressive your doctor is with the fills. I was very sensitive to fills so with the exception of the first fill which was 3 ccs all other fills were only .5 cc. My doctor will do fills as often as you want them and doesn't make you wait. I waited 2 weeks each time between fills for the first 3 fills and then 3 weeks for the 4th fill and this last fill I waited 5 weeks. I was self-pay and paid for 1 year of free follow ups with unlimited fills/unfills.

I am like many of you who have not felt restriction after several fills. I went for my 4th fill this week. It does feel a little different, but I thought so last time, as well. I'm still on liquids, so I won't know anything just yet.

What is everyone else’s post fill diet like? I have to be on Clear Liquids two days, full liquids two days, soft foods for two days, and then to a regular diet. I half think that's the only reason I am losing any weight at all.

At least I have been walking. I have been walking 5 days/ week for 45 min-an hour. Still, I've only lost 26 pounds since I was banded in July.

I was banded in March and I have had 7fills.....I am not at 7cc in a 10 cc band. I usually have liquid for one day then softs. I tend to eat a regular diet but am not hungry (now) for at least 5 hours after eating. I have chicken, eggs, yogurt (greek yogurt has the most protein) When I go out to dinner (which I did tonight) I had Soup,ate 1/2 had a portugese roll (very slowly) and a small piece of chicken and some broccoli (about 1/4 cup all together) and flan for dessert. I eat slowwwwwwwwwly...that's the key. If your not feeling full then you need to go back for another fill. My physician is great about listening to you about whether or not you can eat too much...I tend to not be able to eat much in the morning and can eat more as the day goes on...

hope this helps

sharon:)

What is everyone else’s post fill diet like? I have to be on clear liquids two days, full liquids two days, soft foods for two days, and then to a regular diet. I half think that's the only reason I am losing any weight at all.

I have a normal appetite and I can pretty much eat everything on my plate, although I try not to.

When I eat less, I am hungry a couple of hours later. I am worried this will happen when I get restriction. Someone asked about how it felt and I am wondering the same thing. Will I feel SATISFIED, or just uncomfortable?

I'm so glad I found this thread. I've spent the past 2 days going through all the old posts and I'm up to page 17. I've decided to head to the last post and fill in the others later.

I had my second fill the day before Thansgiving. I had told my doc that I was so unhappy because I had not lost in WEEKS after my first fill, even though I did lose about 7 lbs in the 8 weeks after the first fill. The loss was all up-front and then stayed the same for weeks after. Then after the 2nd fill, I thought this was it! For about 10 days after, I enjoyed the wonderful feeling of not just fullness, but downright not wanting to even eat! I lost 7 more lbs pronto! Now it's Christmas, and I think I've put back on almost all of those 7 lbs. Afraid to step on the scale. It's sooooo hard to eat chicken and turkey that I just avoid them altogether and end up eating junk food because I know it won't get stuck. I feel like I'm being so noncompliant right now. I know this is a tool, but I just don't want to feel any hunger at all.....ALL the time! I go for my 3rd fill in late January. The office assistant said that by the 3rd fill, patients can't even swallow their own spit. But for how long?

After reading through this thread, I've found moments of hope and despair, realizing that it's individual to each person.

I know I must swell after the fill, which to me is my sweet spot that doesn't last. Maybe I need a little fill every 2 weeks to keep losing and not gain. If I had read this thread before surgery, I'm wondering if I would have chosen the band over the bypass? I was self-pay so this route was cheaper and I liked that the complication rate was lower, but I really expected more steady results, even though I realize it's a longer process than the bypass. My brother had the bypass last April and has lost 170 and he looks great. I feel like a failure. I feel embarassed and I'm angry that I feel I may have wasted almost $20,000.

what does pb mean stand for? I see it in many messages and can't figure it out - I know what it means, however -

Thanks -

Do you have insurance?

If so, insurance usually pays for fills but you have to get them done in hospital where you had your surgery - doctor office fills normally aren't covered by insurance - all out of pocket -

Check it out -

what does pb mean stand for? I see it in many messages and can't figure it out - I know what it means, however -

Thanks -

It means productive burp- your saliva gets thick and you throw up hwat wont go down