Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there anything that surprised you?

I start my Pre-op 2 week diet this week. Surgery is February 17!

My question is this, I know we've all prepared the best we can, by researching, talking and asking questions, but the thought just occoured to me that I haven't seen anyone say they were surprised by anything...

After all your research, classes, phych visitis, prep... Was there anything that you thought you were ready for that turned out to be totally different or unexpected?

Was there anything you wished you had know?

I was surprised and not happy when my stomach refused to take in any more Protein drinks right in the middle of week two post-op. "Burn-out" I prayed about it and kept taking everything else. Two weeks into muchy foods I was able to stomach them again. Also, I can't stand to smell anything cooking. No matter what it is. This new found taste in my mouth (make me sick to my stomach.) Just to name a few

Sent from my SM-J700P using the BariatricPal App

I am English and therefore a teaoholic.

I can't drink tea anymore it has to be coffee, which I never drank pre op.

Just one of the many changes

Change in tastes really surprised me. I used to hate cottage cheese. I like it now. Cake, not so much. I had a nibble this weekend at a party. It tasted so weird.

I over prepared. I bought way too many items based on what I read here. I purchased way too many different types of Protein drinks and such. Wasted way too much money on things I never used.

I wasn't prepared how fast the transformation happens. I felt like I got my sexy back after a couple of months, and now nearly six months out and almost at goal my confidence is at an all time high.

Just need to keep the motivation going.

Also, the smell of my coworkers' lunches. I can't take it.

I wasn't ready for the overwhelming desire to CHEW food in the first few weeks of post-op. You're on a liquid only diet and all I wanted to do was eat something. I seriously could have been ANYTHING...just that chewing sensation is what I wanted.

I wasn't ready for the quick response time to getting full so quickly. I wasn't ready for not feeling hunger. I wasn't ready for how SLOW I had to drink my liquids.

I wasn't ready for dumping...even though you know about these things, you aren't always prepared until you actually experience them. but the biggest thing was the chewing thing.

Good luck and congratulations!

How incredibly hungry I was for two weeks post-op. After reading many experiences of people having no hunger right after surgery, that really threw me for a loop.

I was also uncharacteristically emotional and had mood swings; usually I'm pretty level.

What @@fatontheinside mentioned about wanting to chew/crunch something, anything, also surprised me.

Edited by White Sale

I had no idea how emotional I would be. The smallest things would happen around the house (like wifi not working) and I would just start crying like crazy. I was very emotional after both the c-sections I had, but I blamed that on post-pregnancy changes and sleep deprivation. Apparently, I'm just very emotional after surgeries.

Sent from my SM-G900P using the BariatricPal App

I was surprised as much as I love Water I'd have trouble getting it all in at different stages. But that gets better in time but so important. I was surprised I woke up smiling in recovery and never pushed button for any pain med. that was the best surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I find it difficult seeing people pile their plate up with food. I went on holiday 4 months after surgery and the last week was at an all inclusive resort. I really found it sickening watching people eat so much. I wasn't judging in any way, after all I used to do it but it really did make me shudder. Never ever felt that way before and it shocked me

Kate.

I'm surprised because I feel no hunger, because I drink my Water SLOW and I react when people overeat. I feel like vomiting. Not because I'm being judgmental but because I imagine eating all that n with my new stomach I know I would feel so sick afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was surprised to find that my heart would race whenever I ate or drank during the first 3 weeks after surgery. I brought it up during my post op appt with my surgeon, and he said it was normal, and that it was due to pressure on the vagus nerve from stomach swelling.