Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaking out...just a little. Help.

I disagree with those who are saying 1100 calories is a lot. Especially if you are working out at all. I pushed hard to get over 800 calories post-op so I could do anything more intense than "brisk walking". I then pushed to get up to 1100 calories so I could start running. And I would estimate that I was around 1400-1500 calories a day through most of my weight loss phase.

If you aren't exercising at all, then 1100 calories is probably the upper limit of where you want to be, but if you are working out, you need to basically be "eating back" any of the extra calories you are burning through exercise, otherwise your metabolism is going to tank.

I agree with you, but at 7 weeks post-op, how much working out can you do? I know that everyone's plan is different, but most people (at least from what I have seen) aren't cleared for that kind of activity at 7 weeks.
I'm only 9 weeks out from my sleeve surgery..I do everything..15,000 steps a day plus elliptical, weights, yoga, jogging..no problem. Our team cleared me for heavier workouts besides walking 4 weeks out.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I disagree with those who are saying 1100 calories is a lot. Especially if you are working out at all. I pushed hard to get over 800 calories post-op so I could do anything more intense than "brisk walking". I then pushed to get up to 1100 calories so I could start running. And I would estimate that I was around 1400-1500 calories a day through most of my weight loss phase.

If you aren't exercising at all, then 1100 calories is probably the upper limit of where you want to be, but if you are working out, you need to basically be "eating back" any of the extra calories you are burning through exercise, otherwise your metabolism is going to tank.

I agree with you, but at 7 weeks post-op, how much working out can you do? I know that everyone's plan is different, but most people (at least from what I have seen) aren't cleared for that kind of activity at 7 weeks.
I'm only 9 weeks out from my sleeve surgery..I do everything..15,000 steps a day plus elliptical, weights, yoga, jogging..no problem. Our team cleared me for heavier workouts besides walking 4 weeks out.

Fair enough -- everyone's plan is different. I wasn't cleared for anything other than walking for 8 weeks, and I've heard and seen that number a lot. I haven't seen anything in the thread that implies that the OP is strenuously working out, so 1100 calories might be a little high at her current stage if that's the case. A lot of people overestimate the calories they burn with exercise, and it ends up hampering weight loss instead of helping it. According to my team, the majority of weight loss is about consumption.

This journey is very personalized. Although I am well aware of that fact, I have to remind myself of it daily.

@@blizair09 I wasn't cleared for more intense activity until 8 weeks post-op either, but I know some people are cleared sooner. I also know that some people start sooner whether cleared or not, because they are in some insane race to lose the weight super quickly. The OP did mention exercise, which made me think she might be doing more than just walking.

My surgeon and dietician told me if I ever stall or the new phase is difficult on my tummy then just drop back down to the previous phase for a few days. I just had my surgery on 1/24 so I haven't experienced this yet but that was a big question I had as well. Hope it helps and it sounds like you're doing awesome!!!

Tip #1 - STOP WEIGHING YOURSELF SO MUCH. This is a process, not an event. Your loss will be over time, not overnight. Know that your body will periodically stall for a time (usually a short time) while it adjusts to changes in your diet and caloric needs. Give yourself permission to live and enjoy each day. You need a new relationship with food, not a new fear of it.

Tip #2 - RELAX. In the early months after surgery, you will lose weight "on twinkies and chicken" as one VSG veteran told me last year. Your journey is at its beginning, enjoy the changes.

Tip #3 - Change is more than pounds. Even when you hit a stall, you might still lose inches. I hit a 3-week stall and lost 2 inches off my waist in the same timeframe. Victories are all around you, look for them and Celebrate them.

Trust me, I'm just getting off a 2 month stall. A lot of this was stress and anxiety from a death in the family, working full time, school full time, and a whole slew of other things. There were times I wasn't getting in enough liquids, and times I wasn't getting enough sleep. Things can combine and pile on to slow your metabolism and slow the process or stall it. But I doubt it's fat, especially with what you're eating. I understand the anxiety of wondering why the scale isn't moving, but it will eventually move again. Mine did! I also highly suggest limiting yourself to weighing in once a week or even longer. It'll keep you focused on eating and being healthy instead of the actual numbers. Of course you want to know those too, but doing it daily or even every other day will only drive you insane.

Tip #1 - STOP WEIGHING YOURSELF SO MUCH. This is a process, not an event. Your loss will be over time, not overnight. Know that your body will periodically stall for a time (usually a short time) while it adjusts to changes in your diet and caloric needs. Give yourself permission to live and enjoy each day. You need a new relationship with food, not a new fear of it.

Tip #2 - RELAX. In the early months after surgery, you will lose weight "on twinkies and chicken" as one VSG veteran told me last year. Your journey is at its beginning, enjoy the changes.

Tip #3 - Change is more than pounds. Even when you hit a stall, you might still lose inches. I hit a 3-week stall and lost 2 inches off my waist in the same timeframe. Victories are all around you, look for them and Celebrate them.

Very good points. Thank you. ????

At 7 weeks my nut cleared me for between 800-1000 calories per day because I was stalled out for nearly 3 weeks and we added calories to jump start my weight loss, so 1100 doesn't seem all that crazy to me. It sounds like everything you are doing is right.