Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories: To Worry or not

So I'm 2 days postop from DS surgery and I'm finding it hard enough to get my liquids (due to being so fatigued I'm hardly awake) but I notice people say they get between 500-800 calories when is that something you focused on or notice? Seeing as I'm only liquid I'm nowhere near 500 calories (could barely eat pudding) any input is appreciated!:)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It's so challenging right out of the gate. I would just focus on what you can do. I'm not sure what is the "correct" amount but I know for me, I just took it day by day...it WILL get better...

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

You're too early out, don't worry about calories just worry about getting your Protein which will probably mostly be from your Protein Drink. I am 8 weeks and depending on what I eat I am mostly around 500 to 600 calories but I worry more about my protein and carbs.

I am almost 5 months out, and I am just now getting 500-800 calories in per day, and that is only if I include a pre-made Protein shake, and a homemade Protein Drink that includes unflavored Protein, and a Protein Bar, and that is on top of my regular food. If I don't do that, I can't get in enough calories, and I won't lose. I'm still only able to eat about 2 ounces at a time, and I am so grateful for that. I know it won't stay that way forever, so I am relishing in it for now. But in the beginning, there is no way I could have done all of that. It took me quite a while before I could even get all of my liquids in. For now, just focus on sipping, sipping, sipping, and get in as much liquid as you can so that you don't get dehydrated. At the beginning, I would do that, and other than that, I probably ate a sugar free popsicle and ate some sugar free Jello. For the first week, that was about all I ate. It was hard for me to eat much at all. But it will get better. Now, I don't focus on calories or fat at all, I just watch my carbs and try to stay under 20 per day. And I focus on making sure I reach my protein goals of 80 per day. What I mean by not focusing on calories, is that I don't really worry about getting too many in. I just want to make sure my carbs stay low and my protein stays high. Its been working so far.

Good luck and congrats on your first few days! I promise that it will get easier.

Edited by ready_to_be_thin

In the very beginning do not focus on calories. Focus on Protein and Water intake.