Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflux - GastroEsophageal Reflux Disease

I have been prescribed Prevacid 15gm once a day...It works GREAT.

I didn't really know about this drug, because in Canada there is no commercials as in the US, so the only I knew was Nexium....the doc told me to try both...and Prevacid was better...for ME.

Good luck.

Another option...which is also good for Calcium (and small reflux distrurbances) is TUMS with Calcium

MB

I am totally confused. I have been waking up in the middle of the night with a geyser in my throat. It just comes up and sometimes enough that it comes out of my nose!!!

I recently was told my Hiday Scan was abnormal and I need to have my gallbladder removed. It has sludge and sludgeballs (which later turn to stones).

Is this the reflux or the gallbladder or both???

Does sleeping on an incline really help? Along with not eating 3 hrs before you go to bed, etc.???

Nancy

Could it be a Hiatal hernia? do you get heart burn so bad you can throw up!

or eat a pack of rolaids and it dont help?

Good luck on getting your gall bladder removed. mine will be coming out very soon Im glad you arent have the pain that can go with gall stones......Take care God bless will pray for you!

Nancy,

Sounds to me like its reflux.

And yes, the bed elevation does help. But the best "treatment" is not eating after a certain time. I very seldom eat after 7:30ish, and if I stick to this rule (which I usually do), I will not have the nighttime reflux.

Alot of times your surgeon will request for you to have a slight unfill to relieve the reflux.

Good luck.

Will the gas ever go away for good without the aid of pills and such? I had thought that it was just for the first few weeks since they had opened up our body cavities and air is now inside.

Please help!?!?!

Wendy -- Yes, it will go away... try walking...always helps me. On the Reflux/GERD topic, I have only had a problem with it since getting the band...and mostly it resolves itself... I had a fill recently after having the band re-positioned from slippage. The fill level is fine, but the reflux is hell. Like you Nancy, the gushing-from-the-nose type. Crazy thing is the Dr.'s office told me that's not a "side effect" of the band and I need to be in touch with my personal physician. (Which I had done anyway...he prescribed me Nexium...which I'm told can take awhile to work...and you're not supposed to take other things such as Tums, etc. with it -- which is killing me. ) I'm going to work on the three hour rule better (I try!) and may even try the bed raising. Will report back...

Hoping the Nexium kicks in soon,

Elizabeth

8-28-03

I was banded Nov 2004. I lost only 12 lbs before I had my first fill in April. Since then I have lost a total of 35 lbs. I think my band is too tight because I can't hardly eat anything. The mornings are the worst. Might as well not try.

I can recount every piece of food I have sucessfully eaten since April. Success equals no throwing up.

Today my hair started falling out in drastic ammounts! Scary to say the least.

The worst part is the Acid reflux. I had never experienced anything like it before surgery. I wake in the night with lava in my throat. I have molten lava in my throat all morning and I am sometimes lucky enough to have it all day long. I live on Prilosec and tums. I have followed all the GERD precution lists. Trust me, I have tried it all.

On a diferent note, I can't believe the diference in the way people treat non-overweight people. I wasn't that big to begin with but man what a change. It disgusts me. Superficial world.

I am sick of trying to explain what a lapband is. If anyone is reading this and is considering having this surgery.....please think long and hard. I wouldn't wish this on anyone I love but would do it again for me. I realize it doesn't make sense but it does to me. Just be an informed patient. I wasn't.

P.S. I tried reaching Diane Beck last week and then read something about her having complications? Is she o.k? Yeah, I am a Dr. Lopez pt. Try and refrain from your tired rants ladies. You know who you are and your negitivity is distructive. Not only would I have the surgery again, I would have the same doctor. So there. Try letting everyone have their own opinion. This is only my perspective on MY own experience.

A very hungry and depressed,

Christine.

Christine, I know this is the same old tired advice, but how about an unfill, just a small one? I'm sorry you are so uncomfortable.

Also, I think I will feel the same as you about being treated differently. I am me, always will be. No matter what I look like on the outside. But I just know that people have a hard time seeing past my obesity. I know I do. But I know how you feel.

Christine,

I am very sorry to hear this.

*PLEASE* contact your surgeons office and explain all of this to them. Gerd is NOT something "you just live with". Gerd is an acid from the stomach that is used to digest your food. This "acid" can cause band erosion, esophogus cancer and many other harmful problems. I strongly encourage you to call your doctor NOW! It is NOT normal if you have been able to count the number of times you have successfully eaten a solid! This is NOT a true weightloss that the band has been designed for. A very small unfill can make a BIG difference.

(((hugs)))

Please keep us posted, but in the meantime - CALL YOUR SURGEONS OFFICE!!!!!

Christine: I am so sorry you are having all these issues. I am concerned about all the GERD you are having. If this has been going on since April then you could have major complications brewing in your stomach. I HIGHLY suggest you call your surgeons office and ask to be seen. If you are too tight then a slight unfill is warranted. If you were not banded the amount of GERD you are experiencing is not normal and needs to be treated.

I respect the fact that you are still happy with your doc. I will not go into any of the negativity on him.

Please do consider calling his offices again and asking to be seen or refer you to someone that will see you PRONTO.

Christine,

I had a recent unfill due to gastritis.My gastritis was cused from complete bowel obstruction.I almost died from it but with the fast acting I did in contacting my Dr.he was able to preform emergency surgery and save my life I had NO symptoms of gastritis but it was detected through enoscopy so I was completely unfilled for 2 months. You need to call your Dr. do not be foolish. You need to do the responsible thing here and call your doctor, you are risking damage to your band but more important you are risking your health and possibly your life This is serious. Please Please call your doctor. I am begging you to get help.

Nobody here is going to bash your Dr., we all just want you to get help with this serious problem. PLEASE

P.S. There is a possiblity that it is not GERD but Gastritis, they are very similar but very different. this is why you need to be seen to make usre you are treatingthe right condition with the right meds

I agree, you should call your doctor immediately.

I struggled and dealt with GERD for more than two years until I finally found something that worked. My bed was elevated 5" , and I tried every medication know to man. But, with the help from a Gastro. in Houston, I am on Nexium, and Robinul...once a day. And, I feel soooo much better. I did have to have my gall bladder removed.

My band date is July 20, and I was told by two doctors' that do the surgery, that the lab band will "fix" any reflux I have. I pray that is the truth, it would be nice not to have to be on pills for life.

I have been banded since April 30, 2004 in Mexico (Dr. Lopez) and heard of this web site last Friday. I have been so frustrated until I read the letter from Legallyblond and for the first time in over a year I found someone who would understand me. The good news is that I have lost 110 pounds in 13 months. Going from a size 26/28 and now a size 14/16 is really incredible. I no longer have flop sweat, I can walk freely, my knees don't ache like they did and I feel like a new person. I am embarrassed with compliments - my problem. But I would NEVER reccomend this to anyone. For 14 months I have been unable to eat without great pain, usually vomitting. I feel that my band is too tight but I have never had a fill. (I went for my FIRST follow up appointment May 24 - a month ago - to a doctor here that had no answers for me. I was told yesterday to try Prilosec and Maalox, which I am now starting. I had no idea that food would become such an enemy to me. Don't get me wrong - after eating a few bites of mashed potatoes or liver (only meat that I can eat) the food is stuck and I can't take another bite - but I'm still hungry. I think I've been hungry for a year. But there's nothing I can do about this. I can only hope that the medicine works. Also, anything with sugar makes me very ill - this from a person who would eat pounds of sweets and candy weekly a year ago. I can't believe I am going to be denied any pleasure from food for the rest of my life but it's looking that way. I am so frustrated. The port sticks out from my stumach - I was told this is normal. I know I'm rambling and will try harder in future posts to sound more rational, but I'm so excited to have found a forum where there are folks that will understand some of the things that I am going through.

I look forward to this new support group. MJ

The port sticks out from my stumach - I was told this is normal. I know I'm rambling and will try harder in future posts to sound more rational, but I'm so excited to have found a forum where there are folks that will understand some of the things that I am going through.

I look forward to this new support group. MJ

I too was told by my original surgeon this was normal and it would resolve itself when I lost more weight. I did not believe this (due to my nursing background) and sought a second opinion. I am thankful that I did. Please talk to another doctor. You might have slipped the band, there could be other reasons you are having all these GERD issues that are unrelated to the band.

I am very very concerned about your health at this point. What you are experiencing is NOT healthy and needs immediate attention.

Kansascitygal,

I agree with Penni! This is NOT normal and I would definately recommend a second opinion!!! Please!!! Your life depends on it.

Losing 110 pounds in a year is wonderful. But if you are only able to eat such limited foods, then something is just not right.

((hugs))