Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to deal with Coworkers knowing you're getting this surgery! Tell or not to tell?

I am struggling with telling people what I am doing in some ways I'm embarrassed, I feel people judge me and think I should just stop eating and exercise but don't really understand the struggles I go through! And to make it worse I work at a hospital and I'm having the surgery done at my hospital! I haven't told anybody but obviously my coworkers know somethings going and will eventually know exactly what's happening. My surgery is scheduled for January 25! My stress and anxiety is through the roof

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

So, I had to tell too. By the time I told them, I had missed so much work for dr appointments, they thought I was either interviewing or had cancer. So I told them of my decision, and explained why surgery was necessary instead of just diet and exercise. The support I've received from them has been amazing.

Sent from my KFTBWI using the BariatricPal App

I am struggling with telling people what I am doing in some ways I'm embarrassed, I feel people judge me and think I should just stop eating and exercise but don't really understand the struggles I go through! And to make it worse I work at a hospital and I'm having the surgery done at my hospital! I haven't told anybody but obviously my coworkers know somethings going and will eventually know exactly what's happening. My surgery is scheduled for January 25! My stress and anxiety is through the roof

I'm struggling with that myself. I have told ny very close friends, and some coworkers that jave had the sleeve pricedure done in the past. Most are very understanding, but there are a select few that either say "don't do it", or "But you're not that big!" .... they just don't understand the struggle. I am not even 5' tall. I have tried everything, and this the only thing i can think of. Hoping to get the surgery mid to end of next month.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

Yes, you are right. People will judge you and people do not understand. The way I see it, people judge us no matter what we do. But know that this is your decision and from someone who has had both positive and negative comments, you can't worry about what others think. Most of the comments have been positive. The ones that aren't are based on ignorance. Educate yourself until you are confident with your decision. Best of luck with your journey.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

I told my coworkers about it. Most at first were not supportive. I explained why and some have given me their support. I also work in the medical field so people are going to start questioning me once they notice a change. I figured I'll just say it like it is rather than try to hide it. It's my choice and my consequences rather good or bad not theirs. I don't have a surgery date yet, waiting on insurance approval!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

I told a few of my colleagues and then it just spread from there. Nearly everyone has been very supportive which is nice. There's no way I could have gotten away with saying nothing, several of go out to lunch a few times a week, they would have known something was up even before surgery with the liquid diet.

I've chosen not to. After I heard one snide comment about someone who may or may not have wls, I decided to keep my mouth shut. Since I don't eat with them, I figure they'll assume I'm repeating the medical diet (my last failed eating plan).

First things first "calm down" After that you must deside if you want people in your business like that. The ball is in your court to do what you will. If they're going to find out eventually then let them. You may need the time that they don't know to 100 percent focus on you, that you may respond wisely and not defensively. Also, you may want to listen to some youtubers journey. It will help you to focus more on what yoir desires are. Look for Clusie L.... a lot of topics look for "too young for weightloss surgery"

Sent from my SM-J700P using the BariatricPal App

To be honest I don't want my coworkers to know what's going on, i'm 40 years old and work with the younger crew, and some I don't really get along with, and our department are filled with all women that love to chat and gossip, but since I'm having the surgery at the hospital I work at my medical records will be going through our department, I work in the laboratory so as soon as they see my orders they're going to know what's going on!!! Everybody's already talking behind my back!!! Rrrr I hate this!!! But I'm gonna tough in this out I'm doing this for me and nobody else!!

Don't overthink this Julia, you are doing this for you and not them. This is not a decision you made lightly, nor on the spur of the moment. It is a tool along with the other changes you have and will continue to maintain to have a healthier lifestyle.

I think if you decide to tell them, they will more than likely be supportive. But remember, this is for you, they don't need to approve

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I won't be telling. Two of my close friends are so negative about girl we know who had it. So if I can't tell me close friends, I certianly can't tell my coworkers IMO. I work with all men. None of them would blink an eye if I did tell them. They may have a convo about it but not so much gossipy. I just feel like I don't owe people this. No one NEEDS to know. I am entitled to my privacy.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using the BariatricPal App

Well said! Most people that gossip (mostly females) are unhappy, looking for a way not to face the storms in their own lives. Now what better way to avoid facing my own issues but to tare down on someone. How irrational is that type of thinking. Actually, you need to feel sorry for them. Non the less. Do what you choose to for you! People was talking before you was born. My thing is....... keep the weight or loose it. They will talk. Stay focus on the business at hand and not the obstacles that get in your way.

They are obstacles!

Sent from my SM-J700P using the BariatricPal App

I told some coworkers...but not others. It's not out of embarrassment, but I really don't want anyone's opinion. This decision I mine, and I don't need any negativity. If there are some people you trust, I'd suggest you share. The support I've gotten means the world to me. Everyone else doesn't really matter.