Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello

In November 2016 I weighed in 324, I am down to 200 pounds. I had lot difficulty with the Protein diet. As a nurse, I followed the dietician and surgein advice all along my journey. However no matter the advice I was given I didnt tolerate the diet well. The discomfort and pain was awful. It put me in bed everytime where I slept majority of the day due to the pain.

A little bit bout medical history so you all aware of my journey which would help understand the difficulty. In 2011 I was diagnosed with small bowel cancer. I had told my doctor for 2 years that I was having issues with my stomach and diarrhea all the time. One day I started projectile vomiting temp up through roof, shivers and severe abdominal pain which required me to go to ER on 911 call. I had at the time high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, history of 2 heart attacks list is endless. Scans were done where they found numerous tumors in my small bowel. Due to insurance reasons, I was unable to have surgery 2 months later. This is when they found it spread to my lymph nodes. I had the surgery which they removed quite bit of the small bowel which resulted in more diarrhea. During the course of past 5 years, I have had my uterus removed, part of my cervix n was given 3-6months to live. I got married and moved to Wisconsin to my best friend. I went to oncologist who refused to do more scans. I was quite persistent in having it due to my respiratory status being changed. 3 months later it had metstasized to my lung stage 4.

He informed me nothing they could do. I refused to accept this. I spoke to my son. Few days, I received call from Cancer Treatment of America. I was not expecting a call by any means. Little to my knowledge, my son had called them. I arranged an appointment with him and have been receiving treatment. The cancer hasnt spread. Eventually i have accepted that. It has been miracle that i have lived this long.

During the years, I was placed on steroids and weight went through the roof. i told them no more. i could not walk 5 feet without crying in sheer agony. I finally got accepted for disability. It was a blow to me to give up a career I loved and decided to take control of my life. I was sick and tired of laying in bed being so depressed. I went and seen surgeon by the name of Dr. Georgen who also specialized in my type of cancer. My surgery was approved within 6 months after following numerous processes which had to occur prior to Medicare approval

I had the surgery which went great exceot adverse reaction to one of meds which they took care. The first 2 weeks I dropped 40 pounds right away. After that, the weight loss was right on track except for the continous non stop discomfort and pain involved.

I was a smoker and had stopped for quite awhile and started back up in October of last year. Within 2 weeks, I had a massive heart attack which ones if arteries was 100 percent blocked so a stent was placed. My 3rd one. After this procedure was done, I was informed that i had 2 other arteries blocked at 50 percent. I as a nurse am aware of what it would lead up to- more heart attacks.With this being said i need to explain my family history. Majority of my paternal uncles have died of heart attacks before age of 35. My father had one at age of 38. I had my first one age 45 and 47.My maternal side is laden with cardiac issues as well.

I inforned staff at hospital that I was still having chest pressure why wasnt one if the arteries unblocked and stent placed. Well it being invasive procedure it is risky and decided to place you on nitrates. Really now? Without discussing it with me prior to your decision. I find this to be unacceptable by medical professionals. As a professional, I am informing you that nitrates are not effective. I was on them when I had my 2 other heart attacks. I was persistent with them imforming that one your cardiologist was to inform me of results of the procedure which wasnt done.2 the required visits to monitor my progress was not happening everyday as required. The procedure was done 2 days later after another heart attack occurring. I felt great after the procedure . went to cardiac and got back in track with my life.

With all this being said, no one has control over your health except you. Your decision to make wise choices in regards to diet exercise and smoking. These events I cant deny have inpacted my mental state which has caused great deal of depression, anxiety and anger.Mad at myself for making poor choices and placing others before me.

I write this to empower you all so just maybe someone will learn something from my story in hopes that you all will not make tbe grave mistakes I made in life. I am 54 and will be 55. I have lived my life . There are people worse off than I am in life. If anythingCTCA has taught me it is mind over mind over matter. Advocate for yourself health wise. Be nice to yourself and dont beat yourself if you make a mistake. Brush yourself off and go at it again.

With that being said, be strong and stay positivr.

God Bless you all

Cathy

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

Thanks for sharing your story.

I hope this isn't too much of a bother, but I see you've been on this app for sometime. I'm new to the app. I'm using this app with my iPhone. I'm 12 days post-op and trying to figure out how to post a question and begin a new thread for people to answer. Any chance you could help me figure it out? I'm sorry to bother you.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

no I dont believe it was that by any means. I have my good and bad days and think of quality of life. Was it even worth it to have this surgery to see nothing but loose skin just so society would accept me as well as friends and family and possibility of improving my health.

the improvement in health was a major bust tbh. i have social anxiety now and go out very rarely due to the weight loss. Right now with the bills mind ya medical bills i cant just go buy something to fit me now. no thrift stores arent an option either my life doesnt work that way.

its not my intention to bash this procedure but it has played havoc on my mental status due to the skin. i look like in 70 due to the weight loss.

yes i see a therapist doesnt help matter tbh

its overwhelming depressing ny story i eat and lay down cause i hurt . yea i done the proceaa. so i sleep thats my life now

Thank you for sharing

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App