Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does it get better?

Hello all

I just got sleeved a few days ago on Jan 4 and I have to say it's been pretty frustrating so far. I haven't had solid food in days and the liquids I can take forever to drink because I get a stomachache if I don't take tiny sips. It feels like I'll never be able to eat or drink normally again.

Obviously I don't wanna go back to my old binge eating habits, but for those who've been sleeved a while, does it get better? Like will there come a time where it doesn't take hours to finish a glass of Water or I can have a reasonable portion of food without it being painful?

I could really use some encouragement.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

yes every day get easier. i would say the 1st week after surgery is the toughest. hang in there,the hard part is over. your stomach is still healing. drinking Water was one of my big worries, i have a physical job and hydration was a big concern. its been a year since my sleeve and i would say i was able to chug a whole glass of water at around 4 months. just follow the advice of your surgeon and you will be thrilled with the results. the best is yet to come.

I promise you it gets better ! I am 4 years post op and just had a revision. What you are feeling is normal. This is part of the process. Use this time to adapt to you new lifestyle. Follow the rules and stick it out it is only temporary! ! Good luck.hope u feel better !!

foreverbariatric

Sent from my GalaxyNote4 using the App

In 6 months your capacity will increase to the point that you will start secretly wishing for the early dayssort of!

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

It does get better As time passes, you will discover what your tum likes and what it loathes. Me, I can't eat Chinese food anymore; for my sister, it's salads. At 10 months I miss the early days of mimimal portions and, yes, even the pain because it meant I'd had my procedure.

Yeah, it gets better. It is actually not much worse than having the flu. Within a couple of weeks, you'll be back to normal food. JUST DON'T PUSH IT!!! People who push it run the risk of damaging their new stomach, or at the least setting the,selves back. Patience is a virtue.

Yeah, it gets better. It is actually not much worse than having the flu. Within a couple of weeks, you'll be back to normal food. JUST DON'T PUSH IT!!! People who push it run the risk of damaging their new stomach, or at the least setting the,selves back. Patience is a virtue.

Pushing it is the last thing on my mind! Right now I can't stomach anything I am so nauseous. I've been nauseous since the surgery but what they were giving me in the hospital helped but that was after they would try Zofran and phenogren. They sent me home with Anna grande and that does not touch the nausea. I can barely drink anything because I feel like I'm going to get sick at any second.

I was really lucky - I didn't have much nausea at all. Most of it was probably my surgeon's very vigorous anti-nausea protocol. I also worked really hard to stay hydrated from the get-go because I tend to get sick really easily. (Two pregnancies that felt like endless motion sickness - I literally threw up from pregnancy test to the O.R. table during my c-sections.)

Having said that, do keep in touch with your doctor to make sure you're within normal ranges and aren't experiencing serious complications. Track Fluid intake, etc. It can be hard to tell the difference between, "Sucks but I'll survive," and "Needs medical intervention now." And I'm saying this as someone who just got yelled at by their surgeon for not making a hematology appointment when staff "suggested" it last week. . With that out of the way, here's what I found to be helpful.

"Ultima Replenisher" No-cal, stevia sweetened, electrolyte drink. I got an assorted flavor pack off Amazon and would add part of a packet to my Water and it made it SO much easier to drink. I think the inherent dehydration and nausea can just spin cycle off each other and make it really hard to kick once you're there. The extra electrolytes and little bit of flavor really helped.

I also would have a thermos of bone broth with me that I'd sip on whenever I could. My favorites were the chicken broth my honey cooked with a Parmesan rind, and chicken broth with a spoon of miso paste and soy sauce (both were filtered after cooking). Notice the "salty" theme. But I made it my mission to drink one over the course of a few hours. Or when I woke up at night.

I also drank unsweetened herbal tea - my favorite was the Sleepytime Peach because it was chamomile based but had a hint of mint that was amazing for my cranky tummy. Once I moved past Clear Liquids, I had a hard time with Protein shakes, but could tolerate yogurt or kefir with a drop of berry stevia.

It does get better - I'm at three month and can eat and drink most things within reason. Still like my Ultima Replenisher packets, especially if I'm fighting off a cold or overdoing it. But I absolutely spent most of the first month just managing eating, drinking, and meds. And the first couple weeks of forcing down liquids suck - it's like the worst full time job ever.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Oh gah this post sounds so much like me . I wasn't happy with my sleeve until about 16 weeks out. I was really sick and had to go back to liquids for quite awhile. I remember saying many times to my husband- what if I am always like this?? My dr and nurse every said that it was pretty abnormal- all that to say- it's now all good. It will get better. Promise

I had similar issues until week 3. Now the only issue (3 months) is that if I eat or drink too fast or too much I get hiccups, burp, or sneeze. It's weird.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Pushing it is the last thing on my mind! Right now I can't stomach anything I am so nauseous. I've been nauseous since the surgery but what they were giving me in the hospital helped but that was after they would try Zofran and phenogren. They sent me home with Anna grande and that does not touch the nausea. I can barely drink anything because I feel like I'm going to get sick at any second.

I was fortunate in that I did not have nausea. I hope yours resolves itself soon. I've been that way for other things in the past. It is no fun at all.

Hello all

I just got sleeved a few days ago on Jan 4 and I have to say it's been pretty frustrating so far. I haven't had solid food in days and the liquids I can take forever to drink because I get a stomachache if I don't take tiny sips. It feels like I'll never be able to eat or drink normally again.

Obviously I don't wanna go back to my old binge eating habits, but for those who've been sleeved a while, does it get better? Like will there come a time where it doesn't take hours to finish a glass of Water or I can have a reasonable portion of food without it being painful?

I could really use some encouragement.

Thanks!

Of course it gets better.

You had surgery on your stomach a week ago.

You have to be patient and let it heal.