Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking About Gastric Sleeve Surgery

You're a very pretty YOUNG lady and at only 28 I'm pretty sure at your age you might be able to get your weight down by eating sensibly and walking, I am 55 and I have been trying for 10 years to get my weight off. I wish I was 28 again there are so many other ways besides weight loss surgery for you. I don't know your health matters or how long you've been trying to lose but if I was 28 I would try exercise over surgery any day. Good luck with whatever road you take, my daughter loves dance and she dropped at least 80 lbs doing Zumba and she was right about the age you are now when she got serious. Good luck

Uh, weight loss surgery isn't just for old people, you know. Sometimes it's the best option, no matter what your age.

What a silly thing to say?

Awww! Thank you so much Babbs! Your very beautiful your self. I just wanna say I really appreciate that My self esteem has been very low lately and Iv been very down on myself and sometimes we can be our own worst enemies but you definitely brightened my day!

FutureFitGirl

DCast78 Thank you so much Im sorry to hear about your miscarriage the pain of losing a baby is unbearable I definitely turned to food as a comfort I was at the lowest point of my life. Thank you for your kind words and understanding you guys are great!!!!

FutureFitGirl

Yeah, what @@Babbs said. For those of us with long term weight issues, even the best supervised weight loss programs have a very low long-term success rate. Another round of yo-yo weight changes messes with body's weight set point at the hormonal level. If you take care of the emotional issues, along with this tool, your chances for long-term success jump from 5% to over 40%. @@pvechiola please take a look at this: http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/films/main-films/Choices And the younger the better as far as skin sag and less damage to our joints and organs.

I am new here and I am a beginner when it comes to Forums. I am here because I am seriously considering getting gastric Sleeve Surgery. I am 28 and I weight 260lbs. I had a miscarriage 2 years ago and put on alot of weight because of pregnancy and feeling depressed.

I would like to know what are the main pros and cons of the surgery and if anyone has any advice they could give me I am more than open to it. I would highly appreciate it. I have hear about vomiting and Gerd and wanted to know how bad it is. Also how small are the portions the first month post opt. Also what is the attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1483451873.240533.jpgaverage amount of weight most people my size lost the first month?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You're a very pretty YOUNG lady and at only 28 I'm pretty sure at your age you might be able to get your weight down by eating sensibly and walking, I am 55 and I have been trying for 10 years to get my weight off. I wish I was 28 again there are so many other ways besides weight loss surgery for you. I don't know your health matters or how long you've been trying to lose but if I was 28 I would try exercise over surgery any day. Good luck with whatever road you take, my daughter loves dance and she dropped at least 80 lbs doing Zumba and she was right about the age you are now when she got serious. Good luck.

Sent from my 0PM92 using the BariatricPal App

Wish I had done this at 28. I would've enjoyed my life so much more up to this point.

Best decision I have ever made regarding my health. I wish I had made it earlier in life. At 42, I regret the life not lived to the fullest, but look forward to the amazing days ahead.

You're a very pretty YOUNG lady and at only 28 I'm pretty sure at your age you might be able to get your weight down by eating sensibly and walking, I am 55 and I have been trying for 10 years to get my weight off. I wish I was 28 again there are so many other ways besides weight loss surgery for you. I don't know your health matters or how long you've been trying to lose but if I was 28 I would try exercise over surgery any day. Good luck with whatever road you take, my daughter loves dance and she dropped at least 80 lbs doing Zumba and she was right about the age you are now when she got serious. Good luck

Uh, weight loss surgery isn't just for old people, you know. Sometimes it's the best option, no matter what your age.

You're right, age isn't a matter. I don't consider myself old, at 38, and I'm getting it done to prevent health issues. I'm actually surprised to hear someone on this forum say "eat right and exercise". Well, we all know that's true! But hey, a tool to HELP us do that works!!! This is why I won't tell my parents...people feel like they always know what's best for someone else.

I say, let's support and encourage one another for the decisions they've made. Sure, you can share your experience, with however you managed to lose weight, but let the individual make their own decision.

Thank you guys. My struggle with weight has not just begun this has been a life long thing for me and even though I am only 28 I have experienced dieting and It hasn't worked for me especially in the long run. I usually end up gaining back double what I lost and yo yo dieting alot. I have heard from alot of people who have already done the surgery to get it done young. Especially if u want kids in the future because excess weight can mess with your fertility.

FutureFitGirl

You're right, age isn't a matter. I don't consider myself old, at 38, and I'm getting it done to prevent health issues. I'm actually surprised to hear someone on this forum say "eat right and exercise". Well, we all know that's true! But hey, a tool to HELP us do that works!!! This is why I won't tell my parents...people feel like they always know what's best for someone else.

I say, let's support and encourage one another for the decisions they've made. Sure, you can share your experience, with however you managed to lose weight, but let the individual make their own decision.

Well, and here's the thing @DCast78. I did "eat right and exercise" off and on for 25 years! Losing weight for me was very easy. I'm a very goal oriented person, so when I knew I had that goal to work toward, no problem. I did it a half dozen times. Keeping it off was another story.

The fact of the matter is statistically we have a better chance of keeping our weight off post bariatric surgery. That's why it was for me. And believe me, maintaining my loss even now ain't no picnic. But at least now I know I have a fighting chance ;)

When I lost my first son, I put on 50 pounds in months. It was definitely adding insult to injury, making everything worse.

The surgery has done miracles for me. I can now be so much more active in my surviving children's lives. It'll help you be the amazing mom you can be.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

@@Vinasu I gained about 50 pounds after my miscarriage as well. Before I had my miscarriage I was about 215. I was slowly but surely losing weight and after my miscarriage I gained weight and Im still having difficulty getting it off. However, I feel like waiting will only make things harder and more difficult health wise in the long run.

FutureFitGirl

Evidently you can't interpret what you read because I said I didn't know her health issues nor did I know how long she had been trying to lose her weight. I simply stated that at 28 if she isn't liking exercise and sensible eating than wls is not a good choice because a young woman at 28 should really make surgery a last resort. Next time read something over before you open your big mouth. This is a life altering surgery and everyone can't make the changes this surgery requires. I was just letting her know her options.

Evidently you can't interpret what you read because I said I didn't know her health issues nor did I know how long she had been trying to lose her weight. I simply stated that at 28 if she isn't liking exercise and sensible eating than wls is not a good choice because a young woman at 28 should really make surgery a last resort. Next time read something over before you open your big mouth. This is a life altering surgery and everyone can't make the changes this surgery requires. I was just letting her know her options.

I'm confused what didn't @@Babbs didn't interpret correctly. I'M sure we all could read what was said it's here in black & White that's great your daughter lost weight with Zumba but don't go around putting your views off on other folks .Because she is 28 she can do this that or the other that's like someone saying to you because of your age she should just do sit and be fit.Im just saying

R4C????

I wish at 28 I knew surgery was an amazing tool to help me. I wouldn't have wasted money on trying Jenny Craig just one more time in hopes of keeping the weight off or other fun dieting gimmicks that never worked. Or joining the gym to turn around at the door bc I was afraid people would stare and watch my rolls flap together. I did Zumba at home on my wii, I enjoyed it but it didn't do what I needed it to do.

It's not a last resort and if diet and exercise worked people wouldnt be spending time, money and effort on surgery bc it's definetly not a picnic in the park on a sunny day. It totally sucks at times but the benefits from it far outweigh the risks for some.

I'm glad I didn't waste more time and finally (after a year of dealing with insurance) at 35 years old I'm the proud owner of a sleeve. Joined the gym last week and worked out with no thoughts of rolls flapping

@@MelissaRose24 do your research, it's a tough recovery and it does impact your life. I no longer base my days on meals and that's been a huge adjustment, my family gets together for dinner and it's a hard reality when I can't eat what they are eating or get full after 2 bites. I'm learning, but everyone around me is too. As for pregnancy, I know it's far off for you but my sister's friend was sleeved and 18 months later had a beautiful baby boy, she has kept the weight off and looks amazing even after pregnancy. So if this is a step you take just know it is possible!! Good luck

Edited by izzy13

@@MelissaRose24 Definitely read up as much as you can about the procedure, the pre and post-op food stages, the potential complications and everything else.

One thing that maybe hasn't been stressed enough yet in this thread is that the RATE of weight loss doesn't matter. We are so used to the "diet" mentality of setting and reaching a goal so we can be "done" with it. You will never ever be "done" with your sleeve. It is for life. So if it takes you 6 months or 16 months to lose the weight, it won't matter in the long term. I am over two years post-op now. I live my life at my goal weight every single day now. It took me almost exactly one year to reach goal. Some reach it sooner, some reach it later. But once you are there, it doesn't matter how long it took, because you are there and you can STAY there with the help of your sleeve.