Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking About Gastric Sleeve Surgery

@@izzy13 Thank you so much for your advice. Im trying to find out as much about the surgery as I can and thats why I joined this forum. I wanted to hear from people who had the surgery how it affects your daily life.

Wow! It is definitely tough to not be able to eat as much as you used to. However, thats why I think I need this I lack self control. Also I wanted to do it early so when Im ready to get pregnant again I can so hearing about your sister definitely helps give me hope and confidence that this will work for me. Im just scared because I never had any type of surgery my whole life. I have been healthy my whole life except for my weight. However now because of my weight I have become pre-hypertensive. My father passed away when I was 19 from a stroke so I definitely want to lose the weight to resolve the Blood Pressure. However, im still a little scared.

FutureFitGirl

@@JamieLogical I defined will be doing as much research as possible because I know this is major surgery and not to be taken lightly but I don't want my fears to hold me back. I just want to be knowledgeable and to know what Im getting into. I know the sleeve will always be a part of your life. But maybe I need that because even when I lose weight I always gain it back especially if im stressed or sad. Im also afraid because now I wont be able to turn to food for comfort anymore which also scares me.

FutureFitGirl

@@JamieLogical I defined will be doing as much research as possible because I know this is major surgery and not to be taken lightly but I don't want my fears to hold me back. I just want to be knowledgeable and to know what Im getting into. I know the sleeve will always be a part of your life. But maybe I need that because even when I lose weight I always gain it back especially if im stressed or sad. Im also afraid because now I wont be able to turn to food for comfort anymore which also scares me.

FutureFitGirl

@@pvechiola

I stand by my statement. You seem very uneducated about WLS.

This is a life altering surgery and everyone can't make the changes this surgery requires.

I'm sorry, how far out from surgery are you? I'm 2.5 years out.

Next time read something over before you open your big mouth.

You seem nice.

I'm the same age as you, 28, and I've been debating wls for a little over a year. I've tried a ton of diets, which were successful at first, but eventually I'd gain it back. I know 4 ppl who have had wls, 2 had the sleeve and 2 had the band and they all told their only regret was not having it done sooner. I finally made the decision to go for a consultation in Sept. 2016, I was really comfortable with my surgeon and had to see other doctors for clearances. I saw a cardiologist, pulmonary doc, gastroenterologist (sp? Stomach doc), and a psychologist, and had group nutritionist meetings. I realized I had more health problems than I was even aware of, all weight related. I had the sleeve done Dec 2016, and right now I'm a week out of surgery and recovering. It hasn't been painful for me, mostly discomfort and some nausea with trying to get all my fluids in. I just keep telling myself it's only temporary discomfort and I have my support group to encourage me. I'm looking forward to my new healthy lifestyle and am happy with my choice. Good luck to you!

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

I am new here and I am a beginner when it comes to Forums. I am here because I am seriously considering getting gastric Sleeve Surgery. I am 28 and I weight 260lbs. I had a miscarriage 2 years ago and put on alot of weight because of pregnancy and feeling depressed.

I would like to know what are the main pros and cons of the surgery and if anyone has any advice they could give me I am more than open to it. I would highly appreciate it. I have hear about vomiting and Gerd and wanted to know how bad it is. Also how small are the portions the first month post opt. Also what is the attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1483451873.240533.jpgaverage amount of weight most people my size lost the first month?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You're a very pretty YOUNG lady and at only 28 I'm pretty sure at your age you might be able to get your weight down by eating sensibly and walking, I am 55 and I have been trying for 10 years to get my weight off. I wish I was 28 again there are so many other ways besides weight loss surgery for you. I don't know your health matters or how long you've been trying to lose but if I was 28 I would try exercise over surgery any day. Good luck with whatever road you take, my daughter loves dance and she dropped at least 80 lbs doing Zumba and she was right about the age you are now when she got serious. Good luck.

Sent from my 0PM92 using the BariatricPal App

Not to drag your daughter into this, but I would be shocked if she doesn't gain that weight and more back in 5 years. 96-98% of people do.

I wish I had been open enough to consider weight loss surgery at 28. Instead over the next 17 years I gained and lost 390 pounds (plus the little 10 to 20 pounds diets I failed and lost count of over that time). The frustration, pain, humiliation and time I've wasted on my weight problem makes me so sad.

Go for it @@MelissaRose24 . Don't still be struggling like me at 45!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I am new here and I am a beginner when it comes to Forums. I am here because I am seriously considering getting gastric Sleeve Surgery. I am 28 and I weight 260lbs. I had a miscarriage 2 years ago and put on alot of weight because of pregnancy and feeling depressed.

I would like to know what are the main pros and cons of the surgery and if anyone has any advice they could give me I am more than open to it. I would highly appreciate it. I have hear about vomiting and Gerd and wanted to know how bad it is. Also how small are the portions the first month post opt. Also what is the attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1483451873.240533.jpgaverage amount of weight most people my size lost the first month?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You're a very pretty YOUNG lady and at only 28 I'm pretty sure at your age you might be able to get your weight down by eating sensibly and walking, I am 55 and I have been trying for 10 years to get my weight off. I wish I was 28 again there are so many other ways besides weight loss surgery for you. I don't know your health matters or how long you've been trying to lose but if I was 28 I would try exercise over surgery any day. Good luck with whatever road you take, my daughter loves dance and she dropped at least 80 lbs doing Zumba and she was right about the age you are now when she got serious. Good luck.

Not to drag your daughter into this, but I would be shocked if she doesn't gain that weight and more back in 5 years. 96-98% of people do.

I wish I had been open enough to consider weight loss surgery at 28. Instead over the next 17 years I gained and lost 390 pounds (plus the little 10 to 20 pounds diets I failed and lost count of over that time). The frustration, pain, humiliation and time I've wasted on my weight problem makes me so sad.

Go for it @@MelissaRose24 . Don't still be struggling like me at 45!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

You're a very pretty YOUNG lady and at only 28 I'm pretty sure at your age you might be able to get your weight down by eating sensibly and walking, I am 55 and I have been trying for 10 years to get my weight off. I wish I was 28 again there are so many other ways besides weight loss surgery for you. I don't know your health matters or how long you've been trying to lose but if I was 28 I would try exercise over surgery any day. Good luck with whatever road you take, my daughter loves dance and she dropped at least 80 lbs doing Zumba and she was right about the age you are now when she got serious. Good luck

Uh, weight loss surgery isn't just for old people, you know. Sometimes it's the best option, no matter what your age.

What a silly thing to say?

Evidently you can't interpret what you read because I said I didn't know her health issues nor did I know how long she had been trying to lose her weight. I simply stated that at 28 if she isn't liking exercise and sensible eating than wls is not a good choice because a young woman at 28 should really make surgery a last resort. Next time read something over before you open your big mouth. This is a life altering surgery and everyone can't make the changes this surgery requires. I was just letting her know her options.

Let's start throwing out personal attacks! Awesome way to support your viewpoint!

That said, I wish I'd done this at 28.

I lost 80 with WWs at that age, gained it back. Lost 88 with phentermine at 33, gained it back. Lost 60 with exercise at 36, gained it back.

Lost 112 three and a half years ago with WLS. Maintaining like a dream.

@@Maggie_ Wow! I am so happy for you! It seems like you finally took the step to make the right decision. Your story really empowers me and encourages me to stay positive and confident in my choices. I know that you will be great girl. My surgery consultation is on Jan. 10 and I hope I can get mine done sooner because I honestly have been thinking about this since I was 26. However, I tried dieting and gained the weight back as well. I need help in getting my health and weight on track so I think this is the right choice for me as well. Thank you so much @@Maggie_

FutureFitGirl

@@Maggie_ Wow! I am so happy for you! It seems like you finally took the step to make the right decision. Your story really empowers me and encourages me to stay positive and confident in my choices. I know that you will be great girl. My surgery consultation is on Jan. 10 and I hope I can get mine done sooner because I honestly have been thinking about this since I was 26. However, I tried dieting and gained the weight back as well. I need help in getting my health and weight on track so I think this is the right choice for me as well. Thank you so much @@Maggie_

FutureFitGirl

Good luck! Don't let ppl talk you out of it, it is your decision alone and what you think is best for you! I waited until after surgery to tell most ppl so they wouldn't interfere because a lot of my family doesn't get it. Now I'm telling everyone because they can't change it and I'm not embarrassed for wanting a healthier life.

@Maggie_Thank you very much. Im the same alot of my family dosent know yet because they would discourage me. Only my mom knows and she fully supports me. However, im still kinda apprehensive because Iv never had any type of surgery. Im more fearful of the pain post-op. How has the pain been 1 week post op Maggie? Are u feeling ok?

FutureFitGirl

@Maggie_Thank you very much. Im the same alot of my family dosent know yet because they would discourage me. Only my mom knows and she fully supports me. However, im still kinda apprehensive because Iv never had any type of surgery. Im more fearful of the pain post-op. How has the pain been 1 week post op Maggie? Are u feeling ok?

FutureFitGirl

This was my first surgery too. They've had me on some serious pain killers the first day, and I didn't feel pain. When I went into surgery, they put an oxegyn mask on my face. That's all I remember. I woke up in a different room, shivering. It was a side effect of the anesthesia and they injected something in my i.v and the shivering stopped instantly. Then I think i fell asleep because I woke up in the hospital room. They gave me a button to push for pain. I honestly didn't feel much pain, it was mostly discomfort. I felt sore mostly. The only feeling of pain was from gas pain. When they did the surgery, they fill your abdomen up with air. So you will probably have gas pain after. That has really been the worst of it for me. Walking helps a lot! The more you walk, the more the gas comes out. The nurse gave me some heated packs to put on my back to help relieve the gas. The soreness is honestly not bad at all. It felt like an intense Abb workout. I stayed in the hospital for 3 days, they kept me there until I could take enough liquids. The did a swallow test where you swallowed dye and they watched it through an x-ray to make sure there are no leaks. Since I've been home, they gave me tylonal with codeine to take for pain and I have to keep up with drinking 4oz of liquids every hour. Realistically I got 2 oz an hour the first 2 days, but now I'm caught up and it's getting easier. I still have some gas pain, which is more a discomfort than a pain. I get up, walk around and move my arms, it helps get it out. The soreness is not bad at all at this point. I had random spells of nausea when I tried to drink more than my body wanted. It didn't last long but was uncomfortable. The best thing really is the walking. I stopped taking the pain meds because I don't need them anymore. The worst parts for me: gas, the i.v.( I have a fear of needles lol) and the nausea. Some doctors prescribe medicine for the nausea, but I haven't taken anything for it because it happens less and less frequently. I can relate the gas pain to being the equivalent of menstral cramps, only better because it goes away and doesn't come back every month! My friends who had the sleeve told me that for them, the discomfort left around the 2 week mark. So the majority of it is discomfort and feeling yucky. It's really not that bad, just remember to keep walking. I did laps around the hospital with my i.v., along with some other patients. We had a little parade going on lol and at home I do laps around the block. I do recommend having a buddy if you go walking outside in case you do start to feel nauseous or light headed. That's been my experience so far.

@@MelissaRose24 Definitely read up as much as you can about the procedure, the pre and post-op food stages, the potential complications and everything else.

One thing that maybe hasn't been stressed enough yet in this thread is that the RATE of weight loss doesn't matter. We are so used to the "diet" mentality of setting and reaching a goal so we can be "done" with it. You will never ever be "done" with your sleeve. It is for life. So if it takes you 6 months or 16 months to lose the weight, it won't matter in the long term. I am over two years post-op now. I live my life at my goal weight every single day now. It took me almost exactly one year to reach goal. Some reach it sooner, some reach it later. But once you are there, it doesn't matter how long it took, because you are there and you can STAY there with the help of your sleeve.

Can you tell me how much weight you did lose after your surgery?

You're a very pretty YOUNG lady and at only 28 I'm pretty sure at your age you might be able to get your weight down by eating sensibly and walking, I am 55 and I have been trying for 10 years to get my weight off. I wish I was 28 again there are so many other ways besides weight loss surgery for you. I don't know your health matters or how long you've been trying to lose but if I was 28 I would try exercise over surgery any day. Good luck with whatever road you take, my daughter loves dance and she dropped at least 80 lbs doing Zumba and she was right about the age you are now when she got serious. Good luck

Uh, weight loss surgery isn't just for old people, you know. Sometimes it's the best option, no matter what your age.

What a silly thing to say?

Evidently you can't interpret what you read because I said I didn't know her health issues nor did I know how long she had been trying to lose her weight. I simply stated that at 28 if she isn't liking exercise and sensible eating than wls is not a good choice because a young woman at 28 should really make surgery a last resort. Next time read something over before you open your big mouth. This is a life altering surgery and everyone can't make the changes this surgery requires. I was just letting her know her options.

Let's start throwing out personal attacks! Awesome way to support your viewpoint!

That said, I wish I'd done this at 28.

I lost 80 with WWs at that age, gained it back. Lost 88 with phentermine at 33, gained it back. Lost 60 with exercise at 36, gained it back.

Lost 112 three and a half years ago with WLS. Maintaining like a dream.

That's great , I kept up going to the gym and trying to watch Portion Control and I also keep gaining and losing also. Because my mom is so against this surgery I put it off. Finally I had to tell her I decided to have it done because it's not getting better on it's own. It's encouraging to hear that there is hope thanks for sharing.

I had the sleeve in August at age 52. I had life long issues with weight. My biggest problem was Portion Control and it has helped tremendously with that. I have not had any major side effects. I did have the runs in the beginning and at times now I have Constipation. The thing you have to remember is there is no more sitting down and having a huge meal with a dessert anymore , or even a normal size portion. Those days are over. If I go out to eat, I can barely eat any of it and I take most of it home. At this point in my journey, having small meals/snacks throughout the day is what works for me. I eat healthy and focus on Protein. You are going to have to take Vitamins for the rest of your life as that is what they told me. You are also always going to have to choose foods that are high in Protein. As far as how much you are going to lose, it is hard to say. You are a lot younger than I am and I also do not have a thyroid, so that was going against me. I was losing about 10 lbs a month. I chose this surgery because I had health issues and I wanted to try and live a longer life. Good luck,