Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gain After Sleeve?

Hello all!

Short Story...

I went to my families house for Christmas & I was discussing with my Aunt & Sister how I was getting the Sleeve in 2017. They were both against it, saying i should try naturally & I need to get physically in the gym.. I was letting all of that go in one ear & out the other, until my Aunt said 3 of her friends gotten gastric surgeries done & all have gained their weight back plus more.. now if she would have said at least 1 gained their weight back, okay cool. But she said all 3. Is it possible to just gain the weight back like that after losing that tremendous amount? Im curious after that conversation..

If you don't use your first year of losing post-surgery to change the eating habits that led you to be overweight in the first place and work on the mental piece if you use food as an emotional coping mechanism, yes you can gain it back.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I'm willing to bet that your aunt is lying. It's almost impossible to regain back ALL the weight plus more unless you're literally trying to. Like, I could probably bet money that your aunt is lying to you. Is your aunt overweight?

Dieting "the natural way" gives a high risk of gaining it all back, plus more. It's called yo-yo dieting. You are 89% more likely of keeping the weight off by getting the surgery.

Edited by Hiraeth

yes she is overweight too.. just like me. she has been taking some suppressants to get her weight down as well. my sister is over weight too but now she lost 50lbs over a year by being dedicated 5 times a week in the gym for a whole year. she looks good but she has no kids so she can get up & go whenever she please.. see me, I cant do that. & yes I have lost 35 lbs earlier this year & gained 50 back within 7 months. I just feel like this surgery will be a good jump for me to start over and push me to be & eat healthier.

I'm willing to bet that your aunt is lying. It's almost impossible to regain back ALL the weight plus more unless you're literally trying to. Like, I could probably bet money that your aunt is lying to you. Is your aunt overweight?

Dieting "the natural way" gives a high risk of gaining it all back, plus more. It's called yo-yo dieting. You are 89% more likely of keeping the weight off by getting the surgery.

No offense against your aunt, but I bet she is just insecure. She probably is afraid of you succeeding, because she's afraid of the surgery, and she probably hates the idea of you looking better than her. Weight loss surgery is so much better than suppressants. Your aunt is basically taking medical speed. When/if she stops taking it, she will most likely regain her weight. She will have to work her ass off to not fall back into old habits.

I have a co-worker like this. She resents me for some reason. When I told her I was having this surgery, she said so many things to discourage me. She would argue with me daily on why this surgery was a bad idea. She would tell me that I would fail because there's a reason I'm fat. She said, "You can lose weight on your own. There's no reason to get this surgery. You like to eat, so how do you know this surgery will work? I know of many people who failed with this surgery. I even know of people who have died."
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it seem like she wants me to fail? I mean, she would raise her voice at me and talk bad about me on the phone to her family! Over a surgical procedure! I was shocked! And guess what? She's overweight; even more so than I ever was. I think she's about 350 pounds. She's been to a weight loss clinic 4 times in the last 2 years, and she hasn't succeeded at all. She can't stick with it for more than a week. I've realized that she's just very insecure. I've lost 60 pounds since August, and not once has she complimented me about my VERY OBVIOUS weight loss.

So, you do what you think is best. Get the surgery and worry about yourself. When you prove your aunt wrong, watch closely and see if she compliments you. If she doesn't, then you know why.

Also, this surgery is not a miracle. It is a tool. It helps you lose weight and makes it easier. It does not do it for you. It allows you to change bad habits into good ones. You will still have to go to the gym and eat correctly.

Edited by Hiraeth

Do not let her ignorance or insecurity impact your decision! Every person is different. You have done your research and are setting yourself up for long term success. You are ready to say goodbye to bad habits Forever! She should be ashamed of herself for trying to hold you back from doing something for yourself!

Sent from my SM-N900T using the BariatricPal App

I would believe her if they had lapbands but it would be more difficult to believe that about the sleeve or bypass. It is possible but it takes a long time of screwing up to regain all and more. The lapband sucks though! You are in control of your head but the damn band fluctuates whenever it feels like it....time if day, stress, weather the green zone is there or not. Wasted time surgery and misery on that POS. Thats just my experience though.

Sent from my SM-J700P using the BariatricPal App

Like they said above, you have to use your first year pot op to CHANGE your habits. I mentioned this elsewhere, i lost 100 lbs with the band, down to 127, I ate whatever I wanted and threw up . I was a BariatricPal bulimic. The band flipped, I had it taken out dec 2013, I am now 222. I am having the mini bypass, BUT this time I am NOT using the surgery to keep my bad habits, I learned this the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

43% of people gain some or all of their weight back after WLS.

It is ENTIRELY possible to gain all the weight back and then some. I've seen it. Let's not fool ourselves here.

People tend to be very short sighted with these surgeries, and think because of the limited appetite and capacity we have in the first year or so, it's hard to imagine being able to eat enough to actually gain large amounts of weight. It's called the honeymoon period for a reason.

Studies show it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain your lowest weight post op the further you get from surgery. Why it happens is debateable. The point is you can never let your guard down and get complacent with the diet and exercise and throw caution to the wind. We must always be vigilant.

It's kind of a sad fact. But it is what it is.

WOW!!! that's not good. So I've seen that you are about 2 in a half years post op... did you gain any weight back?

43% of people gain some or all of their weight back after WLS.

It is ENTIRELY possible to gain all the weight back and then some. I've seen it. Let's not fool ourselves here.

People tend to be very short sighted with these surgeries, and think because of the limited appetite and capacity we have in the first year or so, it's hard to imagine being able to eat enough to actually gain large amounts of weight. It's called the honeymoon period for a reason.

Studies show it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain your lowest weight post op the further you get from surgery. Why it happens is debateable. The point is you can never let your guard down and get complacent with the diet and exercise and throw caution to the wind. We must always be vigilant.

It's kind of a sad fact. But it is what it is.

@@kaypitre5

I honestly don't mean to sound all gloom and doom, lol. But then again I'm a realist. And the reality is we have to be forever vigilant after WLS or we will gain. The benefits of the surgery wane. We will still always have limited capacity compared to the normal peeps, but hunger and cravings do return and if given into more often than not, it can be devastating. It's very easy to eat 'around' these surgeries.

I had a time last spring when I gained almost 6 pounds due to lack of exercise because of work (excuse). I buckled down and it took me 4 (yes, 4!) months to lose. I am the exact same weight (144) I was 1 year ago I am proud to say ;)

It takes work to maintain, and it's hard. But for me, being fat was hard. I chose my hard, and that's maintaining my weight :)

I've gained 6 lbs in the last 5 months and I can't seem to stop myself from over eating. I was good for a year and a half. It's been bad over the last 3 months. It happened when it was time for maintenance I started gaining. You can gain it back!!! Terrifying!

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I've gained 6 lbs in the last 5 months and I can't seem to stop myself from over eating. I was good for a year and a half. It's been bad over the last 3 months. It happened when it was time for maintenance I started gaining. You can gain it back!!! Terrifying!

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I know a lady who had WLS done 10 years ago. She is constantly gaining and losing 5 pounds back and forth. This is normal. You just have to know when to start cutting back again.

Edited by Hiraeth

I had the sleeve surgery 21/2 years ago I have since gained 10 lbs very upset I can't seem to loose it no matter what CAN I resume the Protein Shakes for about 3 months, and will my insurance pay for it I now have MEDICARE SSDI

ABSOLUTELY possible to regain! This is a lifestyle change as well as a change in your relationship with food.

You DO need to exercise, watch what you eat and how much. I still leave a 1/2 hour before/after eating to consume liquids (calorie free)

The sleeve is a tool ONLY.

If you stick with lean/fat free Protein and non-starchy veggies it will stay off.

If you eat slider foods (which you will be able to eat more of, be hungry sooner and they are more calorie dense) you will regain.

Learn all you can from your nutritionist. In the beginning, restriction helps with learning. You need to know what are trigger foods, as well, and do not allow them into the house.

Best of luck!