Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Veteran Bandsters- Too tight fill vs. losing slower

Happy Holidays everyone!

I was wondering what the veteran bandsters out there (1 year plus) feel about how tight a fill is. I've noticed that there are quite a few folks who find themselves filled too tight- but don't have an unfill because they are loosing weight faster.

Why do people do this? I mean, I understand emotionally why but with all the talk about erosion and slippage lately- why compromise your band just to lose faster? I guess to me it doesn't make a lot of sense- if you get the band to get healthy and you leave your band too tight and can't eat normal, healthy foods- aren't you doing something just as unhealthy?

I'm not refering to anyone or any particular post here...just my thoughts on this frigid Sunday.

What are other people's thoughts and experiences?

Megan

I do not agree always with that. Sometimes being filled too tight doesnt always mean losing faster. Those people who are filled tighter and think it is appropriate..I wish them luck that they do not have any problems with their bands in the future. I was specifically told by Dr. Martinez that those who do not abuse the fills and do not overfill have a greater chance of their bands lasting forever and that is the category I want to be in. I have had 2 fills (2cc's) in 8.5 months and have lost 72 lbs, believe me lately Iam struggling and not losing much and could use a fill but it is important for me to do some of the work I know I could be doing better making wiser food choices, some of it is head work. We do have to do some of the work, the band can not do it all on its own! Maybe those who are getting filled too tight can not do the headwork it takes to be successful, I don't know, all I know for me is I want my band to last forever and I will do what it takes to make that happen even if that means losing slower, I was told this is a journey not a race!

I'm not a veteran bandster yet, but I agree. I'd rather have a small fill and do my head work, than risk the complications and risks. I want to loose this weight in the healthiest way that I can. Erosion and slippage are serious problems.

Hi Megan,

I agree with Michelle. Lots of people who are too tight dont lose well at all. Mostly this is because they resort to soft high caloric foods cause its the only thing they can eat!

I have had 6 fills and one unfill in the last year and a half. With the exception of one of my fills, I have never been too tight. I can eat anything including bread, chicken, steak etc... Then I found out about the esophageal achalasia that I have which means lazy esophagus and this explains why I can eat larger portions than most bandsters without barfing or sliming etc. So now, i am going back to the basics and eating a bandster portion even if I am not completely full. My doc was conservative with the fills, thus the reason I have had so many. The fill schedule was:

1.00,1:75, 2:00, 2:25, 2:50, 2:00, 2:25

Plus I kept losing that full feeling and its actually cause my band is too tight! At least according to my doc. My band is fine though and I just had flouroscopy and a fill on December 16th and everything is hunky dory.

Babs in TX

334/188/170

6/23/03

I completely agree that at a certain point--and even before one becomes a "veteran" bandster--we all have to understand that filling the band too tightly is a risky thing to do. And I've been paying lip service all along to the idea that I'm all about maintenance and safety, and I still feel that way and won't take any steps that could increase the risk of additional surgery.

But I can SO understand the desire to have a tighter fill, especially after months and months of relatively easy loss comes to an end and the challenge is ever greater. I'm at that point now, and am going for a barium test on Thursday. I find myself thinking about asking for a super-aggressive fill to get me back in the habit of nibbling (which I've almost totally lost), even though I know that is foolhardy and I won't follow through on it. But it's sure tempting.

when i got to tight i GAINED!!! yuck...sure part of it was waterweight but it was a gain.

after having reflux 3 times and a pb'ing 3-4 times in a week...not being able to get over 50 oz of Water or liquids in a day for a week...

i got an unfill ASAP. i was tight the first 2 weeks of the fill but week 3 the fill kicked in and YOWZA i was TIGHT then when i pb'd and went to liquids-Soups the sodium was causing me to retain Water and stay swollen.

i couldnt take it and now i am partialy unfilled and happy again! and my weight is creeping back down to my all time low of 207...currently i am hanging at 210....i only count a gain if its over 5 lbs (and i feel like it)

michelle

Even though I'm not losing, I don't need a fill. I still have restriction, but I eat past being full (just like pre-band.) A fill isn't going to help my head. I have to learn to control my thinking and stop eating when my pouch feels tight.

I have to reply to this because I am this situation right now. I am a 28 month "veteran" of the band and have never been really tight until now. Dr Kuri always did my fills, but the last two(one was just 16 days ago) were with Dr Billy who does only blind fills(no flouro)

I must start off by saying that I was(and still am) in the camp that I would rather be looser and just work out more than suffer with a tight fill...so here I am stuck with a tight fill.

Why do I not get an unfill yet? Well..first off..besides my two doctors not being in the area (one would be a 4 hr car drive away and the other a 9 hr with border crossing), this fill has thrown me for a loop and I cannot really say if it really is too tight or if I am just fighting the restriction.

This fill started out snug..it was not tight, but noticably different. I was able to drink liquids, eat liquids and small amount of solids..

After a few days I clamped tighter and could barely keep down liquids..but I did. The next day, my DH and I go to Culinary Institue for a cooking demo and fabulous 4 course meal. I was able to eat the small beef wellington from the demo, 30 minutes later..go to dinner..have a nice cocktail, a cheese course(with its own wine), some salad, two braised beef short ribs(meat MELTED in your mouth) with mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts AND some of my dessert. Whew..yeah..a band buster for sure..but I ate it all and felt fine. The alcohol usually opens me up so that may have made it easier for food to go down!

Next day..my band clamps up again..back on liquids only..what the heck? I contributed that to mid cycle. I bloat during mid cycle AND PMS. It relaxed a bit after that. I am back to nibbling tiny amounts of food..just had 1/2 a chicken enchilada with a few bites of rice and Beans. But then later..I am feeling liquids back up on me! The restriction has loosened up in the morning and gotten tighter as the day progressed..wierd..usually happens the opposite for most of us!

So..with all that..you struggle with the decision..do I get an unfill? Do I wait it out? Will it loosen as I lose weight? I have dropped 8-9lbs this last 16 days! Most ever! Has it been worth it? well..almost not really.

I have known bandsters who have been so tight they cannot keep their own saliva down..they immediately go for an unfill.

I have been on what I consider a pretty loose fill last year and from January to July..I stretched my esophagus out..so I don't think ONLY a tight fill will cause problems..I can pouch pack alot easier on a looser fill!

So..since my tight fill has been so irregular..I am still not convinced of an unfill yet. As long as I am getting in solids and fluids, I will tough this one out. I do think I am just fighting it more because I like to eat alot..now I can't..

So until you are really in this situation..it is hard to see how you REALLY would react to it.

Patty

8/13/02

Dr Kuri

I so appreciate everyone's perspectives on this. It seems like being overfilled to lose weight just doesn't make any sense.

Patty-

have you tried going on liquids for a couple of days? After I get a fill I am always all over the place with my restriction if I don't do liquids and mushies for a day or two to get my stomach to settle down. You're more of a veteran than I am, so you've probably already done this- just thought I'd mention it just in case.

Megan

Hi megan...yep have done the liquids. I always do 24 hrs of liquids right after a fill..and this fill was probably one that was easy to stick to! I got some yummy Soups and stuck with those. I slowly went back to solids for a day..but was tight so I went back on liquids in case I was swollen..then back on solids.

Like I said..this fill has been a roller coaster ride for sure..one reason why I have not rushed down to get an unfill.

The weight loss has been great..but like I said..it has been hard fought over the last 16 days. I also was STUCK in major plateaus for months on end, so it has been nice to see the scale move down and down and down in a short time..but I don't think it is worth being this tight. It will loosen up..it has a bit already compared to last week. Another reason why so many bandsters are reluctant to get unfills..fills change from day to day and week to week..

I say a too tight fill is spitting up your own saliva..anything beyond that is up for 2nd guessing!

Patty