Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finding the very fine line

Today I start pureed foods. Well, my doctor said I could start anytime after today if I feel I can tolerate it.

I have noticed there is a very fine line between "that is enough", and the very next bite which is "that was one bite too much and now I'm miserable." I'm eating *very* slowly. (30 min for a greek yogurt) so I have time to see how each bite feels in my stomach for a minute or two before taking another. But if I bite too many? Oh the misery! LOL I spend the next 3 hours burping or wanting to vomit. (thankfully have not vomited since surgery, but there have been times it would have felt better to do so!) How do you know where that line is? Is it just a learning curve with our newly altered anatomy?

You answered your question in the first sentence: When you think, "That is enough." If you change from "That is enough" to "I'm satisfied," the moment may be more easily recognizable. It's a moment, not a line.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I totally get what you are saying as I have done the one bite too many a couple of times and it feels very uncomfortable. It is a learning process and I have learned if I think "should I have one more?" Or worse, "this tastes so good I want one more bite", then I don't take another bite. I stop and put the food away. If needed, I can always have a light snack of something in a couple of hours.

I agree with @@WLSResources/ClothingExch - it's more like a "moment." At 2 years, 2 months post-op, I still have those moments when I feel like I should have stopped two bites sooner. I keep thinking I'll learn where the stopping point is before actually getting there. I feel your pain!! All too often, unfortunately. My typical meal size remains between 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup, total, at meal time. So, I'll ask here, are you measuring all of your food at meal time? If you are, maybe try decreasing it by 2 tablespoons/bites. (Since this just occurred to me, I need to take my own advice here :P.)

I still follow the instructions I was given pre- and post-op about eating slowly, small bites, not drinking while eating or 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after, and Protein first veggies and fruit after that. Sipping liquids all day long is a lifestyle as is exercising regularly. As you can see from my information, I have not reached my goal yet. This past year has been very challenging from an eating standpoint and I have been on the longest plateau weight-wise. Up and down within about a 5 lb. range. Onederland still eludes me. Sleeve restriction is still great for which I'm thankful. Most foods agree with me. I will admit to making some food choices that are not the best choices and attribute that fact to why I have not reached goal yet.

Every day is a good day to have a good day!!!

I agree with @@WLSResources/ClothingExch - it's more like a "moment." At 2 years, 2 months post-op, I still have those moments when I feel like I should have stopped two bites sooner. I keep thinking I'll learn where the stopping point is before actually getting there. I feel your pain!! All too often, unfortunately. My typical meal size remains between 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup, total, at meal time. So, I'll ask here, are you measuring all of your food at meal time? If you are, maybe try decreasing it by 2 tablespoons/bites. (Since this just occurred to me, I need to take my own advice here :P.)

I still follow the instructions I was given pre- and post-op about eating slowly, small bites, not drinking while eating or 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after, and Protein first veggies and fruit after that. Sipping liquids all day long is a lifestyle as is exercising regularly. As you can see from my information, I have not reached my goal yet. This past year has been very challenging from an eating standpoint and I have been on the longest plateau weight-wise. Up and down within about a 5 lb. range. Onederland still eludes me. Sleeve restriction is still great for which I'm thankful. Most foods agree with me. I will admit to making some food choices that are not the best choices and attribute that fact to why I have not reached goal yet.

Every day is a good day to have a good day!!!

Thank you. Yes, I am measuring out everything. I learned last week that cream of wheat, even a single small bite, is absolutely a NO food for me! I could't eat the entire rest of the day. Not sure what that's about. It was very thin (could pour it off a spoon, since I was still on full liquids) Other than that, it seems the sweet spot to stop is between 1/4 - 1/2 cup, depending upon what the food is.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Just by listening to your body, really, and doing what you are doing. I would always hiccup when I was full - not really sure why...lol - and that was a cue that even if I didn't feel "full" my body was telling me I was full.

A lot of it is retraining your brain to question, "am I really HUNGRY, or am I just not STUFFED yet." Know what I mean? We often eat those couple extra bites because they are on our plate, or because we are satisfied but not overly full, or sometimes we just eat because we are thirsty or bored or tired. For me it was really a retraining of asking myself "do you FEEL hungry right now, or do you just want to eat." 9 times out of 10 the answer was no.

I'm doing it just like you describe, especially if I am out somewhere and there is no easy way to divide (and conquer). Take it slow, and stop as you reach your limit. I find stopping a little early is better than late. I may get hungry again earlier on, but I don't have to deal with feeling like I've got food tickling my tonsils for an hour or so.

Yup. A very fine line... eat very slowly and pay attention to how you feel right before you over do it. . It took me about 3 weeks and I still eat too much once in a while.