Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I lie - hernia op?

I'm wondering what to say to my coworkers also. I'm an RN on a med/surg floor, so I'm going to take a full 6-8 weeks off before going back to work. From what I'm reading I could have lost 20-40lbs by then. I have already told my managers, and while they said I don't need to tell anyone anything, I'm not sure exactly what I would say. I'm a new nurse anyway and I don't need hassle about WLS to give me stress. Also, I don't want to come off like I'm lying to everyone and being an a-hole if I tell them I'm losing the weight with diet and exercise. (I guess technically I will be losing with diet and exercise, with a side of surgery.)

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Salmon.Fish

I have a question for those of you that said you had a hernia op. How soon do you know you need an operation? Meaning if my surgery is in March, when would I normally know I was going to have a hernia surgery?

Thanks so much! Still haven't decided what I'm going to say, but this will help with my decision.

If it helps, I told the PMs for the projects I'm working on that I was out for "surgery" (no details). I saw one today for the first time post-op. She asked how I was feeling, I said I'm fine, and then we talked about our work stuff. They'll probably figure out what kind of surgery it was in the next few months but they can have their own reactions to it in private.

If it helps, I told the PMs for the projects I'm working on that I was out for "surgery" (no details). I saw one today for the first time post-op. She asked how I was feeling, I said I'm fine, and then we talked about our work stuff. They'll probably figure out what kind of surgery it was in the next few months but they can have their own reactions to it in private.

Thank you! I'm just not sure when to put the request in for time off. If my surgery is in March, and I say I'm having hernia surgery. Is it to early to put the request in now?

You don't have to tell anyone anything. Your body, your right to choose who to tell and who not. Whom.

Don't lie, though, or you'll have to remember what you said forever after -- too risky and too much trouble. You can say that it's just a nuisance, little procedure not worth talking about. Alternately, make up something wildly memorable such as sex-change surgery. No one will know what to say and happily move on the the next thing.

Exactly, because of the health law of non disclosure you don't have to say. Going in to my principal now. If she asks why I'll say personal.

????sonkat5355????

Simply say you need time off to have some surgery. First off, your employer isn't allowed to ask "for what?" because of HIPPA. Second, if she does, say you're not comfortable talking about it now, but you'll be fine and back to work in x amount of time. It's the truth, which means you won't trip yourself up, but doesn't reveal more than you want. If it's killing her not to know the details, that's her problem and hers alone.

I was trying to remember, Hippa!

????sonkat5355????

Simply say you need time off to have some surgery. First off, your employer isn't allowed to ask "for what?" because of HIPPA. Second, if she does, say you're not comfortable talking about it now, but you'll be fine and back to work in x amount of time. It's the truth, which means you won't trip yourself up, but doesn't reveal more than you want. If it's killing her not to know the details, that's her problem and hers alone.

I was trying to remember, Hippa!

sonkat5355

I got it wrong! Someone corrected me right after. It's the ADA. Argh. HIPAA applies to health professionals.

Thank you! I'm just not sure when to put the request in for time off. If my surgery is in March, and I say I'm having hernia surgery. Is it to early to put the request in now?

I think it depends on your workplace norms and scheduling. I planned my surgery for the holidays because almost everyone is out of the office, so I told my supervisor a few months ahead of time, but I didn't tell the PMs until I had a date.

Exactly, because of the health law of non disclosure you don't have to say. Going in to my principal now. If she asks why I'll say personal.

Uh-oh, a principal? You still don't have to tell and she still has no right to ask, but do prepare to stand in the corner wearing a dunce cap.

People ask. So now I'm keeping up with the lie. I hate lying, maybe personal would have been better in hindsight...

How about post op. I do not want my sister to know. She happens to be the one there on the day of surgery. I do not want the physician to tell her anything. I am a nurse I understand everything. My family won't understand I have told my best friend who will be helping when I get back from Vegas.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

On the day of surgery I had to sign forms that included giving them permission to tell my husband (who was with me) what was going on. They didn't pressure me to sign them or anything, they were just like if you want the doctor to talk to your companion, sign this. So, if you don't authorize it, they shouldn't be allowed to tell your sister.

How about post op. I do not want my sister to know. She happens to be the one there on the day of surgery. I do not want the physician to tell her anything. I am a nurse I understand everything. My family won't understand I have told my best friend who will be helping when I get back from Vegas.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

But if he walks into your room with white lab coat on with John Doe, MD, Bariatric Surgery embroidered on it, the cat's out of the bag.

I'd find someone else to be there with you if you really don't want her to know. If that doesn't work, it will be interesting to know after the fact if you were able to keep it from her!

I have the same problem going to Vegas my sister lives there. She plans to be there the day of surgery or after work I don't know forsure yet. I don't want her to know anything. Under HIPPA law they can not tell anyone's unless you approve correct?