Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I lie - hernia op?

So I want to keep this private. And I'm so not a private person. My boss is also a friend so if I tell her I need some time off for minor surgery she may ask what for. I was thinking of saying a hernia. Your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I've got the same question, so I'm interested in what other people have done to explain their time off. And how many days do most people need to recoup (assuming a desk job)?

You don't have to tell anyone anything. Your body, your right to choose who to tell and who not. Whom.

Don't lie, though, or you'll have to remember what you said forever after -- too risky and too much trouble. You can say that it's just a nuisance, little procedure not worth talking about. Alternately, make up something wildly memorable such as sex-change surgery. No one will know what to say and happily move on the the next thing.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I haven't had my surgery yet, but I will be out of work for 10 days. He preferred that I take two weeks, but I have to start a new job on Jan 3.

@@bossportsgal I have not told anyone. It took me a week to recover and three weeks to return to work. So far so good.

Tell them you got hernia, or gallbladder issue, and that you will now need to be on a strict diet for recovery. If and when you start feeling more comfortable with sharing, the people who matter wont mind, and those who mind wont matter.

Good luck.

Simply say you need time off to have some surgery. First off, your employer isn't allowed to ask "for what?" because of HIPPA. Second, if she does, say you're not comfortable talking about it now, but you'll be fine and back to work in x amount of time. It's the truth, which means you won't trip yourself up, but doesn't reveal more than you want. If it's killing her not to know the details, that's her problem and hers alone.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Simply say you need time off to have some surgery. First off, your employer isn't allowed to ask "for what?" because of HIPPA. Second, if she does, say you're not comfortable talking about it now, but you'll be fine and back to work in x amount of time. It's the truth, which means you won't trip yourself up, but doesn't reveal more than you want. If it's killing her not to know the details, that's her problem and hers alone.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I'm with clc9. Employers aren't allowed to ask what for anyway. I'll be doing what clc9 advised.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I told the folks I work with that I was having a hernia repair surgery. It was true because they did that too.........my family knew the whole truth. You don't need to tell anyone anything you don't want to.

Good luck to you!!

Just a quick correction: your employer is not bound by HIPAA, but rather by the ADA.

Still, I didn't tell anyone at work. It's none of their business.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

Just a quick correction: your employer is not bound by HIPAA, but rather by the ADA.

Still, I didn't tell anyone at work. It's none of their business.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

Thanks, can you tell it's been a while since I had to deal with HR as a manager? Lucky me I had it drilled into me I couldn't ask, but forgot the rule...

You can do whatever you want, but I wouldn't choose to lie, personally.

I would simply say the matter is rather private but I absolutely appreciate their concern and well wishes. Leave it at that. ;)

I was thinking about saying that I needed to have a portion of my bowel removed. My coworkers won't ask, but if I have a "mystery surgery", then loose 80 pounds in 6 months, they will know. The bowel issues could explain the weight loss to follow. I have a BMI of 37 and want my surgery to be private.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using the BariatricPal App

I'm also thinking of not saying anything. Take three days pto (surgery is wed 1/11$ and two days working at home (mon/tue). I only have 3 days to take.

I told no one & still haven't (except for physicians and immediate family).

I said it was gb surgery. "It had been backed up for a while & now that it was gone I was going to be able to lose that weight."

Edited by Postop