Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I lie - hernia op?

Regardless if you lie or keep it a secret, people will figure out what happened after you lose a whole bunch of weight very quickly. A woman in my office said she had her "galbladder" removed, then proceeded to drop about 100 lbs in six months. No one was fooled.

I recommend telling your boss the truth, but asking them to keep it private. Show your boss that you have a level of trust with them. Other people will eventually figure it out on their own.

I hate when people say this. No people don't figure it out. Most people think diet and exercise actually work. So if you change your diet and exercise, people think that is why you lost weight. Surgery doesn't cross most peoples minds.

You are under no obligation to tell your boss the truth. However, I wouldn't tell a lie like having your gallbladder removed because you might need that later. Just tell them you are have gastro intestinal issues and you are having surgery to correct a problem.

Just because in the current climate, people think that oversharing is the norm, it isn't. You don't have to tell your co-workers about your life. Most work places would be better places if people kept their personal lives personal.

I have only told my husband and daughter. I used the Hiatl Hernia surgery as everyone at work keeps asking.Plus the time off and liquid diet match up.

So well said. My surgery is January 11 so losing weight at the start of year is perfect. New Years resolution. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Regardless if you lie or keep it a secret, people will figure out what happened after you lose a whole bunch of weight very quickly. A woman in my office said she had her "galbladder" removed, then proceeded to drop about 100 lbs in six months. No one was fooled.

I recommend telling your boss the truth, but asking them to keep it private. Show your boss that you have a level of trust with them. Other people will eventually figure it out on their own.

No one figured out mine. ;)

My 2 cents...I had this concern too. Ultimately I decided I wasn't comfortable lying, omitting, or altering the truth. I felt like the lifetime diet change and weight loss would make a liar out of me so I went with the truth. I was open at work and with family.

As far as friends, if the asked I was honest. Truth be told I'm very happy with my decision. I have gotten more support and positive responses than I could have even expected. I was so surprised by people reaction and encouragement.

But it boils down to you and your comfort :) super personal decision. Just sharing mine because I went with a less comfortable decision and I feel blessed from doing that.

My surgery is on 12-30 I have had all these appointments that required me to miss a lot of work these last few weeks and I work in a call center of about 100 people and within that call center I am on a small email specialty team of 10 and needless to say everyone is nosey. I did let my boss know and one other person that I trusted on my team, but for the the rest of the team I work with I told them I am getting a Hernia repaired. It is the truth but just not the whole truth. So I feel your pain, do what you feel comfortable with. The people I work with are not supportive just from what I saw from how they reacted when other employees in the call center had the surgery. Of course eventually they will figure it out, but I feel my nerves are on edge already I don't need extra negitive opinions on how I should just eat less and do it on my own.

Leslie9595

Just say you had surgery

And follow up immediately with "it was the alternative to dying"

It usually stops it right there

I also am witholding the truth. I'm going with an appendectomy. BUT realistically, people are going to know.

I'm contemplating telling people at work. When I applied for the leave I didn't have to tell them what i was having done and i told my boss it was a minor procedure that would have me out for a few weeks. (My guess is he didn't ask because he thought it was a female type surgery and didn't want either of us to be uncomfortable.) My issue/thought/concern about telling people at work is that for the last year I've fluctuated up and down with weight and I feel many comment on my weight loss, "gee you sure are losing weight, etc" already... so I am preparing myself to hear that more and reply with something like this, "yes, I'm on strict high Protein diet with workouts under the care of a physician."

I started with my two Protein Shakes morning and lunch and not eating big meals at work. Luckily my coworkers all want to lose weight so we always are giving tips and supporting each other with healthier eating, walking etc. we agreed starting Jan 2017, we Are all choosing a healthier life style. Perfect timing. I think I might say nothing. It's a desk job, 15 min from home so I will take 3 pto days (wed,Thur Friday) and have sat and Sunday take Monday too and work at home tue and Wednesday. I will tell my manager I'm having surgery and will need the time off. It's my journey so no one needs to know. My weight issue is a disease that leads to other diseases. But unless you go through what we do, no one understands. There are those few support people who get it.

How do you know what they say when you are not around?

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

How do you know what they say when you are not around?

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

Why would I care? :D

Oh! And I am self employed so there is no Water cooler chatter about me that I know of. ;)

It is always men that think it is okay to tell, and that nothing will happen and everyone will be supportive and it will be awesome.

Spend one day as a middle school female and you will change your opinion.

Even people that know me, don't think I had surgery. I eat in a way they can't and it doesn't even cross their mind. I was a low carber before surgery and now people just think it is working for me because I am more dedicated to it, which is accurate.

See I have a boss and then her boss. Her boss I'm really close with. She didn't ask reasons why but I told her because we are close. She was very supportive and understanding.

I was detailed with my direct supervisor and she's trying to get me to cancel surgery and take Garden of Life Vitamins instead of surgery. She's 4"11 and weighs all of 98lbs wet!

I wish I had of went with the hernia story. Lol

I do know of a friend who didn't tell anyone and her family thought she had Cancer because her hair was also coming out (she wasn't taking the Vitamins either) she was offended at first then started talking about fund raisers in her honor to buy clothes!! ????????