Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I lie - hernia op?

I'm using hernia repair surgery as my cover too. Pretty minimal lie as the surgery itself and recovery diet are consistent. I'm not concerned about keeping my facts straight.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I told everyone at my work the truth, that I was having weight loss surgery. I'm not ashamed of getting the surgery and I don't want there to be a stigma with it.

Most of my coworkers were extremely supportive and interested in helping me pre-op and post-op.

When I told my supervisor, it turns out she has had the bypass and is now one of my biggest mentors.

There is no shame in weight loss surgery. Go ahead tell the world?

I had gotten sick about 2yrs ago. I had c–diff. It landed me in the hospital for 4 days and I lost about 20lbs from it. It's an infection in your intestines. I'm going to tell my co–workers who are major assholes that I just got sick again. I don't want to hear the comments or questions. I've watched 4 other people from work go through it and I don't need that kind of negativity in my life lol

You don't have to tell anyone anything.

I knew my eating would change drastically and my boss would notice so

I asked for time off to have my gallbladder removed and told her I have gastritis (truth) and need to eat bland for a while. End of discussion.

You are not obligated to give any details though. Use your best judgement for what works for you.

So I want to keep this private. And I'm so not a private person. My boss is also a friend so if I tell her I need some time off for minor surgery she may ask what for. I was thinking of saying a hernia. Your thoughts.

If she was only your boss and not also your friend hopefully professionalism would prevent her from asking you what the surgery is for, since it's not appropriate. Since you're friends, care for you might prompt her to ask. It's often an automatic response. You could just ask for the time off for personal leave, and not disclose upfront that it's for a surgery. I think it's perfectly fine to tell her it's for a routine hernia repair if you feel the need to tell her the time off is for surgery, and to provide an explanation of it. It's a fib, but one to maintain personal privacy and ward off concern, so I wouldn't put that on the same scale as a major lie. It would also help with her curiosity about your weight loss in the future. I told a friend the scars were from hernia surgery when she spotted them in the split second before I pulled a tee shirt over my swimsuit at the beach and asked a bit loudly. Heads turned around to look at me. We were there for beach volleyball, and I certainly wasn't about to reveal something so personal to a crowd. Everyone accepted it was due to a hernia, and moved on. That was that. I had the VSG in August of 2015 and to date the only ones who know are my doctors, parents, and husband. I am not a private person in all matters, but when it comes to my personal health I tend to be. I am very at peace with this decision.

Best of luck to you!

Regardless if you lie or keep it a secret, people will figure out what happened after you lose a whole bunch of weight very quickly. A woman in my office said she had her "galbladder" removed, then proceeded to drop about 100 lbs in six months. No one was fooled.

I recommend telling your boss the truth, but asking them to keep it private. Show your boss that you have a level of trust with them. Other people will eventually figure it out on their own.

Regardless if you lie or keep it a secret, people will figure out what happened after you lose a whole bunch of weight very quickly. A woman in my office said she had her "galbladder" removed, then proceeded to drop about 100 lbs in six months. No one was fooled.

I recommend telling your boss the truth, but asking them to keep it private. Show your boss that you have a level of trust with them. Other people will eventually figure it out on their own.

It really depends on the specifics of the individual. For some it might be far more apparent than for others. I had surgery in August of 2015, kept it private, and do not believe anyone suspects I had it. They've seen me biking and eating more nutritiously, and my weight loss was around 80 pounds at a relatively slow pace (though I reached my goals). The OP's weight is on the lower side for WLS, so she might not lose quite as much weight quite as rapidly to make it as obvious as with the woman in your office.

Just say you are having some parts removed. You don't need to go any further. I've had some close acquaintances ask what my surgery was for. I replied that it was need to know and let it go at that.

I told work it was a hiatal hernia. The recovery is similar, although I hate my job, so I want at least 4 weeks off. I think 3 weeks is where people start to feel somewhat better.

I have only told 4 immediate family members. It is not because I am embarrassed. It is because I don't want to hear unsolicited advice or intrusive questions.

are you allowed to eat that?

how much have you lost so far?

I knew someone who had surgery and got sick.

I knew someone who had surgery and gained it back.

You can lose it on your own.

@deeveg. That's exactly it. No one understands and they aren't educated in this enough to provide advice/feedback. But yet they do say those comments. It's frustrating. I have nurse friends who say it's so bad. I don't get it.

Hernia excuse perfect ! That's what I used [emoji3]