Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is weight loss a one size fits all scenario here? Different goals call for different approach

I don't think anybody cares what somebody eats 6 months or a year out. After cleared by your doc to 'try any food' ... Have at it. When I read constructive criticism from vets it usually someone days post op eating a porkchop or taco or drinking wine when they are still in the liquid part of their post op diet. That is never going to be cool nor will vets ever coddle or validate that behavior. EVER! It is potentially life threatening. When I see that kind of advice from vets am thinking 'yes' and hope all the newbies and pre-ops are paying attention. On the other hand if you stay at goal or under eating cupcakes good for you! I am happy for you and jealous. But the reality is I will fail if I made cupcakes and pizza a regular part of my diet. All I want newbies to know is that they might be lucky like the OP or unlucky like me. Thread lightly until you know for sure.

I don't think anybody cares what somebody eats 6 months or a year out. After cleared by your doc to 'try any food' ... Have at it. When I read constructive criticism from vets it usually someone days post op eating a porkchop or taco or drinking wine when they are still in the liquid part of their post op diet. That is never going to be cool nor will vets ever coddle or validate that behavior. EVER! It is potentially life threatening. When I see that kind of advice from vets am thinking 'yes' and hope all the newbies and pre-ops are paying attention.

Well... there are a few vets who will validate it, but...

@Sait if you have not seen people getting attacked, you have not been here long enough!

I've been here 5 years longer than you.

@@ShelterDog64

Yes, yes! By George, she's got it! I think she's got it!

Seriously though, this whole thread is a mind %#*&. Can't help but feel like we're being trolled here.

Sorry guys, I retract. It wasn't my intended tone, or really my intended meaning of what it blew up as, I forget just how popular these 'types of controversial threads can get, I take blame in precipitating that. The best we can do is support each other in a positive way, and not a negative and perhaps harm causing casual attitude I have portrayed here. Weight loss and weight related issues and habits are serious as they effect every aspect of our lives. I have personally still hav a lot of growing up to do in this area. I am reading through some of the long term studies of weight loss success, and yeah everyone- I am an uninformed a$$ clown. Do your own research, listen to your doctors, and don't listen to the 'trolls' though I didn't mean to be trolling, I am simply misguided. Good luck everyone and god bless

@@mrsNilla my starting weight was 200. I did not have much to lose. I do not wish to do damage to people that are following the plan, that's great. But some are discouraged from wls because they do not want to change their eating. I do think one can achieve good results with or without surgery if they focus on portion seizes. Post op, I am still surprised with how much food people are served in restaurants, even kids meals are shocking. The French don't get fat, and they eat bread, cheese, and pastries. The secret? Portion size. I guess you could say I am living the French way of life in a very fat America.

As someone who is almost a year further out than you and about 25 pounds over my goal weight right now, I can honestly say the moderation thing you are talking about has stopped working for me. I found this forum to see if i can get support to get back on track. I am able to eat more than before, and have found myself eating too much of the sweets and carbs like Cookies and crackers. I was really good about staying away from that stuff the first couple of years but started the moderation thing and it kind of spiraled out of control. Because I wouldn't gain for so long when I would eat sweets and carbs, I found myself constantly pushing the limits and now am facing a 25 pound gain. I honestly think if I would have tried to stay on the straight and narrow a bit better and not given into the moderation lie people use so much regarding surgery, I would still be where I need to be weight wise. I think it catches up to us eventually and we really need to watch what we eat a large majority of the time. It almost seems there were metabolism changes that happened with me, where stuff I could get away with before, I no longer could and would see the scale climb instead.

If we couldn't moderate food before, then what makes us think we could after surgery? Portion Control just isn't enough after a certain amount of time in my opinion.

@@Tootsietoes

It seems the only answer your looking for is validation on your way to approached weight loss. You seem defensive. A bit overly sensitive about telling someone to follow their plan......I'm not sure why.

Is following a plan too much for a Dr. to ask of his patients? The goal is healthy. Whatever that looks like for each of us.

I'm not the plan police. We are all adults. Its tough to make good decisions for ourselves. NOT my job to make them for other people.

If your happy with your outcome that's great. I'm also happy with mine. ;)

Sorry guys, I retract. It wasn't my intended tone, or really my intended meaning of what it blew up as, I forget just how popular these 'types of controversial threads can get, I take blame in precipitating that. The best we can do is support each other in a positive way, and not a negative and perhaps harm causing casual attitude I have portrayed here. Weight loss and weight related issues and habits are serious as they effect every aspect of our lives. I have personally still hav a lot of growing up to do in this area. I am reading through some of the long term studies of weight loss success, and yeah everyone- I am an uninformed a$$ clown. Do your own research, listen to your doctors, and don't listen to the 'trolls' though I didn't mean to be trolling, I am simply misguided. Good luck everyone and god bless

Supporting each other is a great thing. By the way, you missed the Idaho Bariatric Christmas party in Meridian tonight. :-)

@@Greensleevie thank you for that, It puts it into perspective to have someone further out, I knew this honeymoon period is too good to last. I too have felt my stomach getting bigger, I can eat more with ease. I am terrified of gaining it back, but I am also terrified of changing anything because I am already at goal...

@@jenn1 awe I didn't know :(. How many people were there?

I'm 4 months post-op and have been on this forum from the beginning. I've found it helpful to know there is more than one way to do everything. I think the one point that seems to be clear is that everyone has their own, individual journey.........we each need to find our way.......find what works work us. I have found everyone to be respectful, polite and friendly. I learn something from every person who chooses to post information about their journey.

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday Season.......however you choose to Celebrate

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I've actually found this discussion very interesting. At about six months I'm cleared for all foods. My counselor is pushing the moderation approach, my NUT is just worried about Protein, and the majority of folks on this site push a strict low carb approach. I am worried that I am not getting enough nutrients in from food versus supplements.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Here's a perfect example! Read the post below and decide if you think this person should be told to just eat what they want??? They are risking their life!....at one week post op it is a pretty much one size fits all....because at that point it's not about weight loss.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/385530-not-doing-so-well/

I was just talking about this with my parents last night, when they asked if I thought my aunt should get the surgery.

Right now I am fully aware that I'm in the honeymoon period... from everything I've read and been told, the weight will practically come off regardless of what I do. What will prove whether or not I've made the right changes in my life is what happens after the honeymoon period is over.

So while I cannot do low-carb/ketogenic, period, and what I have been doing seems to be working, I simply won't know for another year to 18 months if it really has, or if it was just the honeymoon glow.

So I'm VERY careful advising people to do what I'm doing. The majority of the successful vets have NOT done what I'm doing, which makes me very cautious about saying my way is better or even a viable alternative.

Ask me in a couple of years and I'll be able to make a more informed statement. All I know is that I am doing better than I was, so I'm working on continual improvement, and hoping it's enough in the long run.

@@theantichick

I understand being cautious about giving advice on how your plan looks. My plan is also different. Most people on the forum are new. I just keep that in mind when I talk with others in weight loss mode. My way may not appropriate for them.

Many people have had their plans changed for many reasons. I leave that stuff up to medical professionals.