Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is weight loss a one size fits all scenario here? Different goals call for different approach

I am shocked at people getting attacked for going against the grain here. If you are 600lbs, then obviously you have a serious problem and need tons of rules and guidelines to break your very serious issue. No carbs, no falling off the wagon, plenty of exercerise, listening to Nutritionists..all that good stuff, by the book you must follow to get to a normal weight. It's like telling an alcoholic that they shouldn't drink again, sound advice.

Then there are people like me, and possibly bugle girl. I wasn't 600lbs. I was sick of dieting, really really sick of trying my whole life to lose 50-60 lbs. up and down roller coaster. I went into it not following any of the rules, and I got exactly what I wanted out of it. I could still socially eat, enjoy food, but have a little less of everything. I ate everything I did before, but way way way less. Only issues I've had were gallbladder and feeling weak. My weight loss was achieved. I never once felt deprived, and I feel I can carry about a normal life. Co-worker brings in cupcakes?- yes thankyou I will have one. I get a pizza and eat for a week, instead of a day.

So can we at least agree that it is not a one-size fits all solution to this? And for hecks sake, stop attacking everyone on here that doesn't have the same approach and diet plan you would give to someone morbidly obese. I am not an alcoholic, never was, I can drink a beer and not fall apart, same thing with food.

Wait, whuuuuuuut?

There is a BIG difference between creating your own path by eating what you choose to eat on/off plan both pre and post op and eating something that could potentially cause serious health risks 3 or 5 days post op.

I really don't give a rat's patoot if you choose to eat a cupcake, a pizza, a taco or an entire pan of brownies if you so desire once you are cleared for all foods. That said, I am certainly not going to help you justify that behavior, especially if you know it's a poor choice and you are looking for permission to make said choices.

If you are on liquids or mushies and eating pork chops and swedish fish and come here looking for validation or a stamp of approval? It's probably not going to happen.

If it's working for you, AWESOME! I can make poor choices, too, at 3.5 years out because I learned good habits along the way by sticking to my doc's PRESCRIBED diet.

But that's just me. It says so in my signature. ;)

@LipstickLady. I didn't say it was ok to eat anything 3-5 days post. I would find it hard to believe anyone a couple weeks after surgery could eat a lot of things and not get sick and puke, I tried many foods and learned as I went of what I could and could not get away with, again, I did not get the surgery to go on a diet.I sucked on a chip and miraculously did not die, I am doing very well thank you. The day after surgery, I ate a Gummy Vitamin though, would not suggest at all. Surgery is long past, and I went about it my way. I feel the need we should be kind to everyone, and if they method is not a strict diet of high protein/no carb...then how about another approach. Does it bother you that someone could choose to get the surgery based on the idea that Portion Control, not food, is what makes you fat?

Edited by Tootsietoes

@@Tootsietoes I'm am confused. Did you have Bariatric surgery? Was it sleeve? I am asking about the sleeve because that is the only one I plan on having and I decided to do it because I have osteoarthritis and my knees are killing me to the point that all I do is go to work sit down go home sit down. I eat junk food because I'm bored and lonely. Now struggling to get this weight off and find an exercise I can do without huffing and puffing within the first 3 minutes of was difficult and even more depressing. I had to admit to myself I had no will to do right. It was just so easy to thoughtlessly stick Cookies and pizza into my mouth. So with that said I looked into the sleeve surgery and all the risk that come with it not to mention the risk of increasing my new belly by going back to the foods that doubled my weight in the first place.

So if my medical care team advises not to eat foods that could do damage then I am not trying to see what they taste like anymore. I'm more interested in finding new foods that would nourish me instead of comfort me. I have a friend who complained about being fat and not looking good. She had the sleeve surgery and she kept trying to go to fast food Windows ordering cheese burgers. And then she had to go to the bathroom to vomit. I'm don't want to do that crap.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@504chic Hi, yes I got the sleeve, had it done in Mexico. I went home with a general food list, which I followed for a few weeks, and when I didn't follow it- yes I did get a little sick and learned from it. I was trying to eat chicken nuggets 3 weeks post op- barf. Hamburgers- barf. Too much sweets- barf. You learn your lesson fairly quickly on. Some things I can never really eat now are salads...too bad.

About the emotional eating, I think a lot of us suffer from that, I still emotionally eat, but I try not to have the stuff that triggers me in the house. I don't buy a family size bag of Cheetos, but I will occasionally get some from the vending machine.

@LipstickLady. I didn't say it was ok to eat anything 3-5 days post. I would find it hard to believe anyone a couple weeks after surgery could eat a lot of things and not get sick and puke, I tried many foods and learned as I went of what I could and could not get away with, again, I did not get the surgery to go on a diet.I sucked on a chip and miraculously did not die, I am doing very well thank you. The day after surgery, I ate a Gummy Vitamin though, would not suggest at all. Surgery is long past, and I went about it my way. I feel the need we should be kind to everyone, and if they method is not a strict diet of high protein/no carb...then how about another approach. Does it bother you that someone could choose to get the surgery based on the idea that Portion Control, not food, is what makes you fat?

I'm thrilled you are doing well. I don't remember questioning your decisions, your methods, or your dietary decisions.

I'm seriously not sure where you got the impression that anything "bothers" me about another's decision to have surgery.

Dunno. I've been pretty vocal about not doing low carb, and I don't feel I've been attacked for it.

One size fits all... Interesting. I have seen many like you who eat everything in moderation, and they aren't attacked. I fall in the moderate carb (eat whole fruits and sometimes whole grains) vs low carb, and no one attacks me. Discussions, debates are always welcomed here. It's the self created drama that is not. If you get my drift...

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

@@504chic Hi, yes I got the sleeve, had it done in Mexico. I went home with a general food list, which I followed for a few weeks, and when I didn't follow it- yes I did get a little sick and learned from it. I was trying to eat chicken nuggets 3 weeks post op- barf. Hamburgers- barf. Too much sweets- barf. You learn your lesson fairly quickly on. Some things I can never really eat now are salads...too bad.

About the emotional eating, I think a lot of us suffer from that, I still emotionally eat, but I try not to have the stuff that triggers me in the house. I don't buy a family size bag of Cheetos, but I will occasionally get some from the vending machine.

It still says pre-op on your profile, how far out are you? You didn't specify your starting weight, but it sounds like you are on the lighter end of the spectrum?

The reason why it's so important to clarify things is because there are a lot of people who just read posts and those "eat what you want" posts might be the only info they want to hear.

You know, like "she eats cupcakes and pizza, so I can too". Some only choose and pick the posts they like, like an addict. They choose to ignore the fact that you barfed on certain foods when most of us would have still been on soft foods. They want permission to make bad choices, because you did also, not taking into account their personal food plan.

I'm happy if it works for you forever, but keep in mind that what works for you, might be very destructive to someone else. I wouldn't want to risk my post being read like a permission to go for whatever you like, whenever you feel like it. That's why all of us have our own guidelines from our surgeons, in addition to support to making good choices. That support should be according to general food plans, just to be on the safe side.

Nilla

Dunno. I've been pretty vocal about not doing low carb, and I don't feel I've been attacked for it.

Just you wait. I'm coming for you!!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bring it. LOL.

@@Tootsietoes So, if you're 600 lbs, there IS a one-size-fits-all solution, but not if you're 300 lbs. Got it.

And if I'm not mistaken, you just produced a gorgeous example of the straw man fallacy. Congratulations, you managed to both create a fallacious argument AND oppose it all in one comment! Bravo!

@@Hammer_Down ...I got it right, no?

Why do you even care about the opinions of strangers on the internet. Grow up.

Also there are a ton of anorexic and people with other eating disorders with low ish BMIs cloaking themselves on these forums. Some people see through that BS.