Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2f55380cb41b859239c6bd8f5dc1f99b.jpg

When I was growing up my mother would do the Rotation Diet whenever she needed to lose a few pounds. I don't know what her calorie count was, but I remember she would follow it for a week or two rotating through a three day cycle. I now do it periodically and eat 800 one day, 1000 the next and 1200 the third and then repeat the rotation.

I read this article about a similar concept called intermittent fasting. One version, eat only 500 to 600 calories on two nonconsecutive days and eat normal the other days. Another option normal one day, next mini-fast, and third day only eat during certain hours. Some people are very strict six days and then take Sunday off.

This type of eating plan doesn't work for everyone, especially people with diabetes, etc. I think it works for some people because is switches things up and keeps our metabolism confused. Interesting option.

Banded 10/12/16

Sounds good. I follow carb cycling which works really well for me, sounds a similar principle and allows me to feel as if I am not deprived.

Kate

I've done intermittent fasting when I need to shake things up. The method that works for me is:

each week, 5 days of "normal" (maintenance-level) eating, and 2 non-consecutive days of "fasting" - under 500 calories and I only eat between 2 PM and 7 PM.

I always seem to lose a lot of weight those weeks and it isn't as hard as it sounds. I wouldn't want to do it long term though.

@@BBweightlossjourney

I just follow a couple of very low carb days with 2 or 3 'healthy' carb days. I used to do it more so when I used to go to the gym and have higher carb days on the days I did workouts. My gym pass has expired and as I am having plastics in January I am not renewing it until I have recovered.

There are many carb cycling protocols out there, but most suggest alternating between at least two of three types of days:

• High-carb days

These days generally call for something around 2 to 2.5 grams of carbs per pound of body weight. They’re the highest in terms of caloric intake as well.

• Low-carb days

Most protocols peg your carb intake around 0.5 grams of carbs per pound of body weight on low-carb days, which can be a bit of a struggle if you’re also training on those days. Caloric intake is usually lower than high-carb days, too.

• No-carb days

These days are, quite frankly, rather hellish. A true no-carb day calls for less than 30 grams of carbs for the entire day and a low caloric intake as well.

{taken from https://www.muscleforlife.com/the-definitive-guide-to-carb-cycling/}

It really works well for me, I am sure others would disagree with it. You need to figure out what works for you and your body. Thats all that matters !! :D

@@Treadmillwalker, what timing!!

I just watched a youtube video this morning about reduced calories leading to increased longevity. As part of the video, they explored intermittent fasting and reduction of meal frequency. They also talked about the trap of maintaining blood glucose levels through frequent meals.

They published a quote (I didn't catch who said it) "We live on 1/4 of the food we eat and our doctors live on the other 3/4"

Very interesting topic.

I have been doing 16:8 or 12:12 throughout the past year or so. Good topic.

Good info!! My hubby and I have started ( mostly him because I am at maintance) but it sure seems to be working for him. I had no doubt that he would do well because when we did Atkins he lost bunches myself not 1 ounce!! But the practice is low carb high fat and Protein. Now I just can't wrap my mind around full-fat everything and Bullet Proof coffee. It just isn't in me after dieting my whole life. Ok now for what I have learned, the carb cycling isn't recommended until you are in Ketosis, or been doing the Keto diet for awhile and or on maintenance. Heck, they have what they call FAT BOMBS!!! Now I did try the BPC with this MEGA BUTTER FAT STUFF!! I took 1 sip and almost lost it. GROSS but I found out how to get started with it and it isn't half bad. I can tell you that all of the groceries we bought are so costly!! I don't see someone with a family to be able to do this program. High calorie also. But because of having WLS it's taken into consideration. The prep was so stressful. I really don't care for leftovers so it would be very hard for me to follow to closely. That is ok hubby is doing great. He has lost 14#'s in a week and 1/2. YAY!!!

I have been following Low Carb diet for the last 6 weeks because I have stopped taking insulin and diabetic meds. The low carb diet keeps my sugars in the safe zone. I find that I can keep my sugars good if I stick to less than 50g of carb a day and spread it out so I don't eat more than 15g in a single sitting. I have just begun (in the last 3 weeks) some intermittent fasting ... I chose the 24 hour fast twice a week method which is one of Dr. Jason Fung's options.

Low carb and intermittent fasting is okay for diabetics who are NOT on insulin or tablets that stimulate insulin production. The suggestion by most doctors that recommend low carb or intermittent fasting is to get supervision by your medical practitioner if you are on any medication at all ... even blood pressure pills because they will all need to be titrated according to how your body reacts to the diet.

Dr Jason Fung has a series of interesting lectures on intermittent fasting along with a book or two. Dr Westerman has some interesting videos on low carb dieting ... so does Dr Michael Mosley, Dr Chatterjee, Dr. Robert Lustig and Dr Andreas Eenfeldt. Many of these doctors treat diabetics and understand the problems faced by them. Just make sure you have good medical support locally before you try any of their suggestions.

Hello All! I am SO happy to have found this discussion. I had VSG in Sept. 2011 and was doing very well until I got pregnant, and found the weight piling back on post partum. I have begun the 5:2 (Intermittent Fasting) Diet and have had great results. However, I was reluctant to share about the 5:2 Diet as I was afraid I would be judged by other sleevers for taking the huge step to actually have surgery, and then find myself once again "dieting" 5 years out. However, as I understand the IF practice, it is not a diet, but a lifestyle. I am considering starting an Intermittent Fasting Forum, and wondered if there would be enough interest. Do you guys find this something that may be of interest to you?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Ducker

I'm interested as I'm a fan of IF.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm interested!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App