Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't imagine being full

I just finished day 4 of my two week pre op diet and I've been reading a lot of posts on here to motivate myself to stick with it. The most unimaginable thing I keep reading is that people actually aren't hungry after the sleeve. Did anyone feel this way? What did you do to keep yourself from not going crazy? I would eat just about anything at this point and I'm super picky. This diet is taking a toll.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I personally was very hungry and that upset me, lots of ppl take it a different way. I've heard of more ppl having to b told when to eat and drink.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I just finished day 4 of my two week pre op diet and I've been reading a lot of posts on here to motivate myself to stick with it. The most unimaginable thing I keep reading is that people actually aren't hungry after the sleeve. Did anyone feel this way? What did you do to keep yourself from not going crazy? I would eat just about anything at this point and I'm super picky. This diet is taking a toll.

i could've written this word for word. i'm hungry now on day 5 of the liquid thing but i'm pushing through it because things WILL change. they have to, right? we'll be getting most of our stomach removed, how can it not change? <-that's what i keep telling myself and it's what i'm choosing to believe in order to get thru this and the rest of the month. i'm excited. life is going to be SO different in a year.

I'm one month post op. I could not picture myself ever not wanting to eat. Now.....is a totally different story. I do get what I call empty. It's not the feeling I used to have pre surgery when I would feel serious hunger pangs, or not that serious, but the feeling that I couldn't ignore that would cause me to binge out on whatever food was available. Now I feel my stomach, but I am learning it's different messages. Most of the time it's acidy or gassy--not embarrassingly-I'm the only one who can feel it. But I have confused this message with hunger. Then sometimes, I can tell when my stomach is empty and I can have some Protein. The empty feeling goes away after about two bites. I can safely eat about 1/4 cup (less of some things). If I go over, I'm very uncomfortable and sometimes get sick.

I remember my pre-op diet time. If I had told me I would feel this way I would have told myself I was crazy. The pre-op diet was so hard for me, so I understand you. Panera has an Asian flavored broth bowl that was like heaven to me (I threw away all the solid food in it). You can and will get through this part. I wish you strength!!

Before surgery, I was missing that thing that tells me "hey, not hungry anymore so stop eating".

I ate mostly Keto, or super low carb, but it seemed like once a week or once every two weeks I would binge on off plan foods. The occasional dalliances were enough to stop my weight loss from a week or two of good eating. I'd lose 10 lbs then gain it back over 1 or 2 days. This went on for 2 years.

I seriously never felt full. I could eat a 24oz steak, finish all my potatoes and salad and still drink 2-3 diet cokes on top of it. I could eat 12 tacos in a sitting and not walk away feeling full. My father is much the same way, except that he has more self control and spends a lot of time feeling hungry.

I'm now in my 6th week post op and I have no hunger whatsoever. I won't eat just for the sake of eating, and I'm usually eating 1 meal a day now. A meal is a couple of bites of meat or salad.< /p>

On liquids, pre and post op I was still feeling hungry. On full liquids I could drink quite a lot of broth or creamy Soup, certainly more than a few mouthfuls like solid foods now.

@@pminshew

I had surgery Oct 27, I started at 250lbs, 5'8" BMI 36. I'm down 46 lbs as of this morning, but I worked all night and will do my scheduled weigh in tomorrow after sleeping.

I'm thrilled to be down 46 lbs in 41 days, I haven't experienced any stalls yet and I am eating an all natural (no packaged foods, no frankenfoods) super low carb approach.

Thanks everyone. I'm really sticking to this pre op diet but only because I know there's light at the end of tunnel. Your stories are motivating.

You will feel hungry, but not for a while. The huge difference for me post op (I'm six months out) is that now I know when I'm full, and a ridiculously small amount fills me. A child's portion at a restaurant is easily two meals. Maybe three. It was hard to imagine, before surgery, but it's the reality. You're going to be fine!