Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just getting started in Richmond

:biggrin2:Hello,

I am in the process of working with Richmond Surgical Group & Dr. B also... Started the process on Jan. 3rd. 2008, both seminars are complete, PE done, Insurance has approved me for a date on March 29th., (which is a Sat. seems strange for it to be a Sat. date) but another lady at the last seminar had the same date.... So what all is next at this point..... And how has the process been for you, I realize you had done on Sept. 27th... ?

thanks,

Anna

I had mine done Oct 12th in Reston VA...but going very very well thanks...I am down about 47 pds...very happy with the results so far... do you have to do a liquid diet before hand..I did for 7 days prior then 2 weeks after... but it is worth it... Good Luck and write me anytime...

I had my procedure on Nov 8th and had a pretty rough 3 weeks. By the 4th weeks, things felt better (not as much pain or discomfort). I've had 2 band fills and am still adjusting to my right portion size and food content. I've lost about 30 pounds (I'm over 55 years old) and have not exercised, which I know I will lose more. I'm comfortable with the slow pace of losing pounds (about 1 pound a week) and starting in March, when my work schedule slows down, I'll get to the gym. My doctor (Dr. Elliot) is okay with my pace and my eating, (even though I still cheat on chocolate) and all is well. Being younger than I, you'll lose faster, and heal better, so it's a good thing! The most difficult thing is eating out with people and family- it's not very enjoyable and you have to focus to not overeat! So eating is never again a pleasurable thing, but then again, it was made to just sustain us anyway!

:regular_smile:I just found out that I was approved for the LApband. I thought I was ready for this but now I just feel scared. :wink: The girl at the surgery center said it would probally be late May or early June till they can fit me in. I can't imagine the range of emotions I will be feeling until the day gets here. Is there anyoneelse out there having surgery in that time span by the Commonwealth Surgery group in Richmond?

Susie

Susie,

I had gastric bypass on Feb. 14 with Dr. Bautista at Commonwealth Surgeons. Surgery went great though he was running a few hours behind and my recovery has been wonderful. I have been very pleased with the follow-up from Commonwealth Surgeons; calls have been returned promptly and they have been very willing to answer all my questions. If you have not attended any of the support group meetings I would encourage you to do so. I've been to the group that's for both lap-band and gastric patients up to one year post-op. There was a good mix of people waiting for surgery (both gb and lap-band) as well as though who have had surgery; lots of good discusssion. I also went to the monthly lap-band support group meeting the following week because I wanted information on Protein supplements and they had sales rep's in that night with sample products.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

7 days til my band day with Dr. Schroder!!!! I cant stand it I am so thrilled!!!

Congrats and good luck! Dr. Schroder seems really nice. He did my band fill the other day. I think you are in great hands! Keep us posted.

Congrats Allis,

Dr. Schroder did my surgery. He is good. I was moving about the same evening of my surgery I just kept walking the floor. It will be a breeze. I had very little pain just mainly discomfort. Make sure you have a heating pad for your stomach to help with the gas pains, my pains weren't that bad because I made sure I moved around and whenever I was laying down I used the heating pad, it went away in about 4 to 6 days. I only took a week off and that was mainly to rest (you know take a break from work).

I have had so much fun reading this thread! I went to Meeting at St. Mary's on 3/19. I meet with Dr. Brengman on 4/8. He has come very highly recommended by my GP. In the meantime I have found out that my insurance does not cover this so I will be self pay. I am hoping that the process will be a little faster because I don't have to wait for insurance approval. I do have a question though...does everyone have to do a sleep apnea test? Hang in everyone and keep writing - I so appreciate the advice and hints to success!!!!!

I was a self pay as well. It has gone really fast. I went to the seminar in January. I met the surgeon (again) in February, I scheduled my lap band the same day (28th of Feb). I had my test run on March the 26th, and my surgery is April 10th. My head is spinning by how fast it has gone. Next week at this time, I will be at St. Marys recovering from the surgery. I didnt have to do the sleep apnea test, so Im not sure what that is about. Before you know it, your day will be coming. My insurance didnt cover my lap band, so thats why Im a self pay too. Sometimes I wish I would have done it sooner. Its just been so much easier!!!

BTW Im totally craving mexican while Im on my liver shrinking diet!!

I didn't have to take a sleep apnea test either. From what I've read on this site some Doctor's request it and some don't. I guess it depends on the individual and maybe even the insurance. Best of luck to you all.

I just spoke with the girl that makes the appointmnets and I have a surgery date of May 14th, I am so excited. My Dr, is Bautista. Is there anyone around Richmond reading this that is or has had him for the surgery? Just wondering. It sounds like I have a lot to do between now and then. Cardiac evaluation, Physical, Blood work, Nutritional counseling,

A Diabetes class, and 1 on 1 about the nutritional needs after surgery. I also have to have a meeting with the Dr. I think with my husband to discuss the actual surgery. I think that one scares me the most. This is the first thing in a long time that I've actually done something positive just for me. Any other May Bandters out there?

Susie

Is your surgeon Brengman or are you with another group? You only have a few days to go!! YEAH! And about the mexican...try to forget it! Remember it was carvings like that that got us all here to begin with. You are so close! And as my eight (or more) memberships at WW taught me...nothing tastes as good as being thin feels! I'm sure I will really believe that some day! LOL!!! Hang in!

I gave into the craving. Its going to be the last time though.

Dr. Bautista banded me on April 2. I had to do the nutritional classes, a cardiac evaluation, and blood work. All of it went fine and I'm so glad I decided to get banded. I go tomorrow for my first post-op appointment and can't wait to get on the scale. When I had my one on one appointment with Dr. Bautista, I can tell that he's very concerned about you following the rules and eating 4 oz of food and no more. Everybody at the hospital and doctor's office were so nice before, during, and after the surgery. I had to call the St Mary's nutrition center the Friday after my surgery to make sure I was eating the appropriate things. They called me back and answered all my questions! Good luck to you with your surgery. You are in great hands with Commonwealth Surgeons!!